The List Of Suggestions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The List Of Suggestions

Post by Sith » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:13 pm

...has just been sent.

What follows is a summarized version of the list sent to Davilex.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everybody who mailed me with suggestions. I received around 250 mails, so what follows is your combined efforts.

(Note: If anyone has any suggestions that aren't below, feel free to mail me, and I'll do my best to forward them on for you. Also, alot of you suggested the same ideas, so don't start arguing over who thought up what idea... lol)

Enjoy...

...and lets hope our ideas get incorporated into the finished game!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions for Knight Rider II

**Graphics**

KITT should be modelled more accurately, and a deeper shade of black - so to speak. At times he would look blue, or grey in the original. The dashboard should be far more detailed this time. E.g. The voice modulator should be used properly, and Michael's hands on the wheel would be a bit more realistic also. The taillight cover should also be used on the rear of the car this time. The red braking lights should only be seen whilst braking. Images can be provided if necessary.

A better variety of environments. Nearly all the levels in the original were of a desert theme. Perhaps some missions in forests, cities, and highways. Or even familiar locations, like the Foundation mansion. In addition, changeable weather would be interesting (rain, snow, fog). Night missions would also be good, enabling us to make proper use of the night vision mode. Being able to switch the headlights on and off would be useful also (for stealth purposes).

Widen the roads a little. Collision with traffic was often unavoidable in the original. We need more space to manoeuvre around them, and other hazards. Perhaps some pedestrians... but not if this will slow the frame rate of the game engine.

Mission briefings could be made via FMV in the cars's on board dash monitors. This would be true to the series. In addition, FMV or FMA should be used to build the story, instead of those static screen images in between missions in the original.

The game engine should be graphically spruced up, perhaps by offering a higher frame rate.

**Sound**

The inclusion of more exact sound effects. For example, KITT's familiar turbine engine sound was sorely missing from the original.

Use of original music from the series. The original theme tune, backdrop themes, plus 80s pop songs. (perhaps a radio on KITT, like the one from the Grand Theft Auto games)

Less wheel screeching around bends. Its a bit over done in the original.

An attempt should be made to get the original actor's voices on board, but this of course is dependent on budgeting. If it will detriment the overall quality of the project, then obviously this should be avoided.

**Gameplay**

Easily the most prominent suggestion (nearly everyone suggested this), Michael Knight should be playable as a character. Being able to get in and out of cars. To call KITT to him by com link. To be able to engage in hand to hand combat. To change his clothes constantly. To sneak around, being a detective. Just like the series. After all, Knight Rider was the world of the man who did not exist. He was the main character!

The car's handling needs a lot of work. KITT replica owners suggest your team drive a Trans Am before coding. KITT is supposedly the most advanced car in the world. He should have far better grip than he did in the original, and less understeer. A "Gran Turismo" level of realism would be ideal. KITT should be swift, not like a tank...

Super Pursuit Mode. Again, when KITT entered SPM, the aerodynamic parts were to increase downforce, thus he had the grip to take corners at 300+ MPH. In the original, this was near impossible, due to a very "loose" rear end. Also, in the original his speedometer never really went over 180 - 200. It should be much higher this time. In addition, we should just be able to "switch" it on or off, rather than having to hold the SPM button down while driving. It should also last alot longer, perhaps be unlimited.

Acceleration. KITT should have a much faster acceleration level this time. In the original, his supreme acceleration didn't really kick in until around 70 MPH. Also, his top speed should exceed 120 MPH.

The turbo boost should be variable. A simple tap giving you a slight jump, or holding the button down will give a very lengthy jump. Perhaps an ability to make simple "speed boosts" too. (i.e. no jump)

The scanner should have a more prominent role. Perhaps scanning for weak points in a large object. (e.g. Goliath)

Some missions should start/end in a moving Semi. Bit of a challenge there...

The inclusion of a handbrake. Simple, but effective.

A rear view mode. Would be handy at times. (e.g. reversing)

Some deformable structures. How many times did you see KITT going through a wall in the series? Lots...

A mission where KITT or Michael gets kidnapped, and has to be rescued. This would force the player to have to adapt their style of play, without having the skills of both characters.

The game should be far longer than 15 missions. For some of us, even playing on Hard, we finished the game in 2 hours. There was very little replay value either. Therefore, we expect at least double the number of levels, plus an increased level of difficulty.

More of KITT's abilities should be used, and a wider variety of missions. Not just chasing vehicles, and finding other ways to defeat enemies rather than just "smashing" into them would also be helpful. We would certainly like to see less jumping around on crates and roofs - this isn't supposed to be a platform game. As the game progresses, perhaps there could be a points system to "unlock" features for KITT. The better the player does, the more stuff they can unlock. E.g. the laser, grappling hook, silent mode, convertible mode, oil slick, smoke... etc

Garth, KARR, and Goliath (with trailer this time) should all return. Some new villains would be welcome as well though - perhaps human villains, so Michael can take them out in hand to hand.

**Extras**

The ability to play as KARR. Perhaps carrying out missions for Garth. Goliath would be KARR's Semi so to speak. This could offer the possibility of cross over missions. Seeing the game from KITT's perspective, and then KARR's perspective.

Upon completion of the game, you can unlock an editor. Offering the ability to alter the colour of KITT and KARR in the game, or adding decals, changing the scanner colour etc. Perhaps the ability to build a simple test arena too. (like the Stunt Constructor mode in the game Stuntman)

A 2 player mode. Perhaps head to head racing, duelling, or even some co-operative modes. The ability to play as all major vehicles would be most welcome, as well as a few special ones. E.g. Goliath, KIFT, RC's Bike, the semi, the Juggernaut, the white KITT from Junk Yard Dog... etc. These vehicles could be unlocked by playing through the game, or perhaps by collecting Knight Logos hidden throughout the levels.

A free roam mode. This should be a huge area that players can just mess around in with all the various vehicles. Plenty of places to perform awesome turbo boosts, to try out the top speed of their vehicle, etc. This sort of mode was sorely lacking from the original.

A better attempt at support for the various operating systems for the PC version. Many players with the latest video cards were experiencing "abysmal" frame rates from the original game. If compatibility issues are still prevalent at release, we will expect a patch shortly after.

Release on more platforms. PS2 and PC are obviously essential, but the X-Box, GameCube, and GameBoy Advance should all also be considered.
---------------------------------------------

Any feedback I receive, I'll let you guys know about. :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:43 pm

Ack! We were told we had until Friday! I had a comment list partially finished, more focusing on the positive things that worked in the first version, but most of it was pretty much incorporated in what the rest of the people said. We'll have to wait and see.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:53 pm

Well let's hope that they implement at least most of the suggestions.

And timezones stink, huh, Mike? It's already Friday in the UK. :)

KI

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:22 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Ack! We were told we had until Friday! I had a comment list partially finished, more focusing on the positive things that worked in the first version, but most of it was pretty much incorporated in what the rest of the people said. We'll have to wait and see.

Mike
Whoops, sorry Mike. :oops:

If you want me to forward it on still, just mail me it m8.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:24 am

knightimmortal wrote:Well let's hope that they implement at least most of the suggestions.

And timezones stink, huh, Mike? It's already Friday in the UK. :)

KI
Yep, 5:24 am lol... :wink:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:34 am

12:33 here on the US East coast
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

aussiekitt
Volunteer

Post by aussiekitt » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:12 am

3.10pm 18/07/03

id just like to be able to look back at kitts scannner thatd be cool
:kittconv:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:44 am

lol, Sith, poor you. i bet you was well knackered by the time you hit the sack while i was in dreamland :P

Now I know what you meant when you said it was taking literally 'ages' to complete.

That email was/is huge...but congrats, mate...was very well done and couldn't have asked for more.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:42 pm

Yep, I think these suggestions are nearly all that was missing in the first game.

Personally I'd like to see a GTA style KR game with multiplayer support.

If this would be possible it will sure be No 1 in game charts.

But personally I think Davilex has not the skill or money to do it(no offense, but I've bought 2 of their games, and to be honest, there are better racing games out there).

But hey, I would be more than happy if they prove me wrong :P

Mike Knight
Rookie

Post by Mike Knight » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:14 am

Damn. This is what I get for disappearing.

Well, if you'll still send Ideas, tell them That the Gamecube MUST be a priority. My PC sucks, so I could only play the first game at my friend's house, I can't play the game on mine. There's nothing wrong with the GCN getting the game at the same time as the XBOX and PS2. Game Boy Advance would be really appreciated, though.
One man can make a difference....

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:24 am

yep, they definately need to make good an a US consule release.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Zoom7000
Volunteer

Post by Zoom7000 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:35 pm

I know I'm late, but this is a list I made up earlier and posted elsewhere if anyone wants to see...

I was extremely dissapointed with the first game! So, boy, I have a HUGE list of what I wanna see!

1) Firstly, a game that has a life of more than 2 hours! I haven't ever spent £20 on a game that I finished in 2 hours flat. If it wasn't for the sentimental value, I'd have returned it!
2) The handling of the game was really poor. Controlling KITT was a chore, not any fun. It was a headache trying to get KITT into the semi for the first time!
3) The missions were extremely boring, except 1 or 2. KITT never used to jump buildings in the TV Show. Why the hell should you have to Jump from building to building?
4) KITT sounded far too much like a robot, and there was no David Hasselhoff, why buy a licence and release a game, if you're not gonna put the effort in to please the gamers? People DO notice the intricate details. And Devon? It was like hearing a Royal snob!
5) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was set in the 80's, and so was Knight Rider. But at least GTA:VC didn't look like it was made in the 80's! Make it look a little livelier! More people, you know? Homosapiens? (Spelling ) Buildings! Not just deserts!
6) In the FMV, KITT just did not resemble KITT at all, in my opinion.
7) There didn't seem to be any point for the involvement, of either Michael, Bonnie or Devon. They all seemed to be there just to fill in the blanks. It was a "KITT only" game.
8) The entire series didn't revolve around Garthe and KARR, together they only made up 4 episodes out of like 80-something! So where's all the other criminals? And since when did Garthe and KARR team up?
9) More freedom to go around and explore a little, whilst you're not on a mission.
10) KITTs interior seemed like a last minute make up job!
11) And Finally (Cause I can't think of anymore right now!) Something special when you complete the game. Not just a message telling you Michael got a long holiday! I HATE it when a game has a dissapointing ending, but well with this game, I wasn't so disspointed at the end, cause not only did I expect the ending to be rubbish by that point anyway! I was more dissapointed with what a shambles the game was and how they disgraced the Knight Rider label! A right waste of £20!

Zoom7000

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:26 am

lol... nice list, but all your points were already covered above. :)

knight 2000
Stranger

Post by knight 2000 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:02 am

sith maybe in the game you should also be able to play as K.I.T.T. in cconvertablemode, also i think they should of added bit when you were michael for example( a good knights work ) when michael was falling from the apartment building into the ejector seat maybe they should have in cluded some things like ?? :?:

babifrence
Volunteer

Post by babifrence » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:18 am

Hiya Peeps,

I have copied and pasted a letter I wrote when I completed the Knight Rider game 3 times in all the different modes. I hope you dont take it personal Sith, its meant purely for Davilex and their faults for the game: -

Hi,

I am writing to you Davilex the company who produced Knight Rider the game. You claim to be so proud of your latest game, however, I have encountered and seen many many bugs. That is already very disappointing and above all that I completed the game within about 2hrs in medium mode and then completed it again the next day in 2hr 30mins on hard mode. Unfortunately I have to say as a very long time devoted Knight Rider fan I was quite disappointed with the game. Personally I don’t think you took great car to design this game and work through all the problems that exist.

Here are some of the problems I have discovered: -

• Bonnie looks nothing like the real Patricia MacPhearson,
• Garth sounds like James Earl Jones,
• The story line was a bit boring – MBS replication? Hardly original,
• Some of the features in the game were poorly mimicked from the original TV series,
• With certain objects KITT could easily drive into them instead of bump into them,
• When driving at high speeds KITT just stops when bumping into things like walls, he should still be able to get damaged and that should be visibly seen not just heard,
• KITT was supposed to penetrate walls as standard, although there has to be limits,
• You shouldn’t have to hold the key down to do Ski Mode/SPM mode – it should go into the mode when pressing the key once and once pressed again return into the previous mode,
• The levels were always the same,
• The sound of the turbo boost wasn’t long enough,
• Apparently you cant do anything else in SPM mode, but you can use Ski Mode ? Why ?
• When in interior mode the bump on the bonnet is on the wrong side, its supposed to be on the left,
• The game was too easy,
• This game is nothing like the TV program, all you do is repeat the same features over and over again – drive within x amount of time or fail, turbo boost here, ski mode there – that got sooo boring after many different levels were played,
• When ever you fail the mission the game should show you what happens, for example when KARR says he will suck out the oxygen and create a complete vacuum within his interior then it should be shown when you fail, and not just a simply mission failed message,
• If a scene like the above is too gory add an age rating to it so that only certain scenes are shown for specific age groups,
• Take more time to program the game, you spent far too much time creating audio and video files – thats over 300MBs wasted, I remember calculating it,
• I expected an RPG based game with extra features like race tracks when you completed the game, remember when you complete the game you still want the audience to continue playing otherwise you guys don’t make a profit,
• Knight Rider was not always about KITT it was about Michael’s missions and using his PARTNER – KITT to help him,
• Add secrets to the game – it makes it far more interesting when you can uncover mysteries,
• There was one part of the game where you can turbo boost off a roof after scanning the helicopter and there stands a tall light stand on the other side of the building, it looks like it has been lit up but if you drive into it then you can knock off the lighting element effect, that lighting effect is probably some kind of object, however it disappears after a while when it lands on the floor.
• Some clipping issues were encountered where you could literally drive into rocks instead of bumping into them ?!?!
• Hypothetically speaking, if you were driving 200MPH and then ended up in a wall what happens to the car ? It would bounce if not be a complete right off on impact. Then why does KITT merely just stop ?
• Sometimes but not always, when I entered a level the game would go crazy. I would use the cursor keys to drive KITT forward and for no reason at all the car would start bouncing and the terrain would be all over the place. You can see everything and how the level is designed when it does that even though its not supposed to happen. Poor programming and graphical design there !!!

There are so many other features that you have simply dismissed and ignored that KITT has. However, as a Computer Systems and Software engineering student (21 yrs old) I have noticed many graphical errors as well. But in light to all this I was wondering might it be possible to secure a profession in gaming development with you. I am a budding student looking for a break into the gaming industry and seeing as you produced a classic TV series into a game I was hoping that I could possibly help and design the sequel if the concept ever arises. These errors and mistakes have been explained so that not only should you disappoint others by mistake but you could learn a thing or two from people like me who are willing to help produce better games for the audience of tomorrow.

My email address was added on the letter but because this is a practically a public board I removed it from possible spam. No offense fellow Knight Riders but you can never be too sure and this is not meant to be an indirect jab at anyone just a personal preferance.

PEACE OUT !!!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:39 am

You sent a company a long list of complaints about their product without a positive thing to say, then asked them for a job?! You've got spunk, I'll give you that much.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:09 pm

No offence, is it me but do all students have a hot head? Remember, your only a student, no matter how much learning you have had, there's nothing like achieving the real thing.

Davilex learning from *people* like you? what's that supposed to mean?

If you're so great, create it yourself.

I would love to see the ever so bang up job you've created then.

And Mike's right, you actually asked for a job with them? some bottle after the way you practically slated the game in every department.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:38 pm

Hey, no problem with me. But I'd be very surprised if you hear a reply.

There's constructive criticism, and then there's lambasting.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:55 pm

Well... I need to type in my ideas for Knight Rider II! But I believe most of my ideas have been said! Like where were the other bad guys, why can't you play as Micheal or at least get out of KITT, why is the game so short and easy, etc, etc, etc, etc!

So when are you guys making this new game which if you follow the recommendations will be very good.

The main thing that I feel was lacking was Micheal! You should be able to get out of kitt and walk around, talk to people, get clues, use equipment and have hand to hand combat with the bad guys. Oh and someone said about seeing what happens when you fail. My thought too! You need to be able to see you fail and see you will too! And there should be a lot less limits on SPM too or at least have it last a long time! 8) You seem to be KITT in the first game almost. You should be Micheal Knight, and be able to put the car in auto-cruise and have KITT take the wheel. You should be able to use most of KITT's many features not just a few which the average fan can name of the top of there head :roll: and all of the modes need to be available (Normal, auto-cruise,slient, and SPM) You should be able to turbo boost a lot higher and not need so much speed to make a jump :shock:. On the show they got most of the speed after hitting the botton. There should be "brakes" in between missions. Have some free time to drive around and talk to KITT (There needs to be some fun convertations between KITT and Micheal like on the show), you should be able to relax in the semi with a couple of coffee while playing with Micheal during a brake or in a down point of a mission or at the FLAG masion. YOU GUYS NEED THE REAL VOICES! The guy who playd Devon was crap, KITT is the worst, Bonnie sounds like my sister when she is wining :x and Micheal is well not like Micheal at all! :roll: Where is RC?? I am really not sure if I would want him in the next game or not :lol: sometimes he is really a pointless character but I like him. :o More city levels too, more then 80% of the shows I have seen have be mainly in urban areas, why is there mostly desert areas in the game? As for sound we need the real theme, the real voice of the guy (just play the theme song off the show) and we need real Knight Rider background music! :shock: Not this crap that plays during the chase missions, which there are too many of! :(

That about does it for now... Please feel free to comment on my ideas! :wink:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:40 pm

Just to let you all know, this is a fairly old thread, Sith has already sent in the suggestions, and I don't know that Sith is still accepting suggestions to send to Davilex. Just thought I would stick that in there.

KI

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:56 pm

Yeah, what KI said. :)

Davilex have the above list, so its down to them what they do with it now.

I won't be forwarding on anymore suggestions now, as what I gathered from them a few weeks back is that they are beyond the conceptual stage.

Lets just leave it with them and see what they do now. I'm sure they are well aware of what needs improvement by now.

Maybe this thread should be locked actually, as further discussion is kind of irrelevant now.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:15 pm

WHAT! There not going to get my ideas! Oh crap :cry: :cry: But I really wanted the idea of brakes in between missions! Oh crap, the won't take one more Sith?? You sure, not one! Its a good idea it would be a hit with the fans I am sure! :lol: What do you say guys!!?? (If you don't know what I am talking about, read my post above...)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:23 pm

As Sith said, it wouldn't do much good, because they are way past that stage. It doesn't really matter how much people beg and plead, it is past that stage, according to the person, who was gracious enough to collect them in the first place during the time allotted.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:28 pm

As others have said, the time for submitting ideas have past, and so too has the purpose of this thread. Sorry, but thems the breaks.