Kitt's Systems and Features

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

coolgyger
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt's Systems and Features

Post by coolgyger » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:26 pm

:kittconv: I've disscused it with several of my family members who also happen to be Knight Rider fans. If KiTT was real, he would need some major improvments to his circuitry. take one of his processors out and stick a pentium 4 in. :|

Someone please answer this for me! :( When KiTT's scanner was off, was KiTT offline temporaraly????

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:07 pm

Well I seem to recall KITT displaying a Apple II screen at one point on his monitors. In that case he would need a G5. :) But, I'm thinking KITTs processor is higher than anything that is available to consumers, in order to be able to support AI. (just a statement, not a discussion about AI!)

And no, when KITTs scanner was off he wasn't offline. In the reality, its a mistake, in the world of Knight Rider, I say he either closed his "eyes" to get rest or turned it off so it wouldn't draw attention to himself.

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:26 pm

I dunno about KITT's scanner being off a mistake or not.

There were several times where it was turned off. But KITT never complained about being unable to see...

What was with the different scan speeds? Sometimes it would go slow, then fast, then in between...

Anyone know?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:48 pm

I just always assumed the front red light was for IR scanning only and assumed that he had "other eyes" to see with, like the camaras that were displaying the road and what not onto his moniters. So when he wasn't doing some super high speed scanning the light would be off and he would still be able to see.

You gotta think also that a car that could drive itself would need to have a 360 degree field of vision, not just one set of eyes constantly pointing forward. Maybe in the 80s it was different, but to drive in California today ya gotta have eyes all over!!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:54 pm

I know that KiTT had a long range radar inside and Inferred sensors. The first i saw KiTT's camera or "eye" was in Knight Rider 2000. I'm wondering if micheal added that or it was part of KiTT. :kitt:
I guess that KiTT would need a 360 degree field of view. but i wonder if the radar provided sight to the "blind spots" a normal car would have. Also in SPM, what was the explosion after KiTT "transformed"? And if any of you folks have read the other forum called "KiTT in the different parts in government" the police thing i made up would be called "police mode".

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:40 pm

Not only does KITT's scanner change speeds in (i'm sorry, i don't know the episodes by name) the first episode with Adrianne (with the Randy kid) and they took over KITT. You know what I'm talkign about?

Anyway, has anyone ever noticed that while KITT is under the control of Randy and Adrianne, his scanner has two lights that criss-cross each other?
Has anyone ever seen that?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:31 am

Yeah I remember that. I also remember other episode(s) where the was one LED which remained on, and the other LEDs worked like they were supposed to.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:43 am

cloudkitt wrote:Not only does KITT's scanner change speeds in (i'm sorry, i don't know the episodes by name) the first episode with Adrianne (with the Randy kid) and they took over KITT. You know what I'm talkign about?

Anyway, has anyone ever noticed that while KITT is under the control of Randy and Adrianne, his scanner has two lights that criss-cross each other?
Has anyone ever seen that?
It was the episode "Soul Survivor".

I recall another scanning pattern in Just my Bill-episode when Michael asked from KITT "Who gave Devon Sabrina's phonenumber?" and KITT's scanner was moving from left to right, not back and forth as usual.
Also in Goliath (or Goliath Returns), when the bad guy told KITT he's going to rip KITT's defences peace by peace and transfer his CPU to the Goliath, KITT's scanner was flashing with all lights on. That scene might've been cut out from USA episodes.

-KITTfan-

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:18 pm

I heard that the only time that you will see that red light going back and froth is when he is in survalence mode are in proshut mode other then that he would not have thet scaner going

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:26 pm

wasn't it also on Killer KiTT? i know that someone dressed like Bonnie and was able to change KiTT's CPU card. the card did two thingsi 1. it overriden Kitt's behavior circuits. 2 it acted like a remote control to control KiTT. And to get to the explosion thing in SPM, i think it was a sudden rush of compressed air that caused it. :kitt2: what was KiTT's engine????? :( I always thought it was a combo of a V8 and a turbine. instead of the pistons being attached to a crank, they were attached to a turbine :?: :?: i Found a neat pic of SPM. I'm still trying to find out how to upload it l----x--l

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:18 pm

The scanner was actually regular filament bulbs, not LEDs. KITT had a V8, with turbine for extra power when needed. The actual engine used for the show was a suped up 350. (I guess the 350 is about the most commonly used - and boring - performance engine in the world. Practically anybody can go fast with a 350.) The stock 82 T/A came with a Crossfire 305.

DK

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:23 pm

please tell me you had to look that up! darknight

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:27 pm

Haha. Well, when your life's biggest personal dream(next to marriage, and all that) is to build KITT, you soak up as much as you can along the way. :)

DK

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:31 pm

Hay I would love to build kitt to but there is no way i could rememmber all of that that is one reason i have ton of paper print out on kitt

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:39 pm

My advice, if you're looking to build something with KITTlike performance, is to think outside the box. No conventional piston engine can do it alone, and no existing turbine in production can either. The technology must reliably and seemlessly fuse the two, giving the best of both power, efficiency, and reliability. Otherwise, the bad guys will get away while you have KITT towed back to the foundation. :cry:

:wink: DK

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:44 pm

even the SR-71 blackbirds engines. I mean come on the blackbird go mach 3.5 if not faster with two of them and I am sure it is a lot haver then kitt.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:53 pm

Well, given that those are ramjet engines, and can't operate very well beneath Mach 1, and prefer much higher speeds, and given that one of those engines alone is bigger than KITT, and that the Blackbird is built like a spear, rather than a car, and the fact that the Blackbirds frame and skin are built from the lightest, toughest materials the Air Force could afford, and the power to weight ratio is astronomical, I say you'd have quite the difficulty using them to make KITT a reality.

To make something similar to KITT, not with his full acceleration, but similar, you'd need at least 1,500hp, and double that if you want to approach true KITTlike performance. But then, how do you plant that much power to the ground? > State of the art suspension and drivetrain, and in my opinion, electric hybrid AWD for fast takeoffs. KITT should've had AWD long ago, anyway. Oh, tires...he'd need the very best tires ever designed. I have a few ideas of my own on that, though.
DK

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:03 pm

well you do have a point there that you would not be able to fit one of those in kitt but did i say it would be easy no. so i am shore if you could fuggier out how to keep kitt on the ground we could make that work out how to make a blackbirds engine smaller. you could use that as the excture power boost and the just a strate line 12. which i know are made it is just geting one that is the problem
Last edited by nivek on Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:18 pm

Don't take this as mean-spirited, but when you figure out how to do all that, maybe you'll figure out how the Spellcheck works.

DK

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:41 pm

If you were to make KiTT, you'd need a big spoiler to match the needed downforce in the back :kittconv:

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:44 pm

That's one of the reasons I like SPM. It provides both front and rear downforce.

DK

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:55 pm

Good point about downforce. A car with the raw power of a KITT would need a giganto wing, right?

Why do stock Hondas?
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:16 pm

The Hondas have them for show, to look cool.

I know this may sound corny, but, what would it be like if KARR work WITH the foundation. :karr: