msKEN's KR GAME REPORTED COPYRIGHT VIOLATION (Scroll down)

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

msKEN's KR GAME REPORTED COPYRIGHT VIOLATION (Scroll down)

Post by msKEN » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:32 am

Hehe, I'm a fan of old horror movies that have stupid yet simple tag lines, so forgive me on the humor of the topic. Ok so it wasn't funny. :roll: Anyway, as I posted earlier, MicroStuff is back, and the new URL is active. I got a great new hosting service who has promised me free hosting and unlimited bandwith (we'll see how that goes) for the next year. Other then that next year its gonna cost me out the butt, lol. Anyway thats more or less useless private information. Anyway getting back to Knight Rider the "other" game.

While I haven't had much time to work on the game, I can say this much. The game itself is in for yet another rebirth. The website is lacking updates, but that will soon change as well. How has the game changed? The game is still going to play much like GTA 3. You can either be on foot, or in a vehical. You mostly drive KITT, but if you need to, you can operate other equipment like forklifts, tankers, and the semi. (yes... you are going to get to drive the semi if you so choose) This will spawn out over a 3D city much like GTA. Now I'm not trying to copy GTA Vice City at all, but the game will have that 1980's feel to it. I'm simply using GTA as an example because most people know that game rather then "the get away" another GTA3 clone.

Anyway getting back to the Vice City bit....for example here are a few of the 30 (yes 30) diffreant car types in Knight Rider RPG:
As you can see, the cars are from the 70's - 80's. Much like the ones that Davilex used, and much like the ones you saw on TV. I might throw in a few extra star cars for a surprise like maybe another famous orange car that has a flag on it, or one that might even look like a space ship, well maybe to people in the 50's. :shock:

Well thats my update, other then the fact I'm working on a new KITT 3D model. As you guys might remember I was using the NFS Knights KITT car:

Well, this is the new KITT car that will be in KNIGHT RIDER RPG. It seems like Davliex based there car off of Mark's Custom Kit's shark nose. This car is more to par with the original. (I'm not claiming 100% acuracy, but at least it doesn't have ground effects either.) Anyway w/o further delay the new KITT 3D model:
Again I can't take 100% credit for this. I worked from a base model, and the original auther will get full credit, but I"ve done so much work converting this, adding t-tops, making C-Mode and so on and so forth, that its starting to become a part of me, lol. Thought I would share it with you guys. :)

Anyway if you like the above rendering feel free to help yourself to this nifty little wallpaper I made for you guys. Its 800X600 and if you guys like it (let me know) I'll make a ton more for promoting the game project. :) Enjoy guys:

http://krgame.microstuffx.com/downloads/kittbg.jpg

-msKEN
Last edited by msKEN on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:52 am

PS: http://krgame.microstuffx.com has been updated. I also requested a link be added to the links section of the site. NEPS if you read this buddy, could you please fix the luna ranch link to direct to its new home at http://krgame.microstuffx.com/lunaranch.shtml ? Would much apreciate it!

-msKEN

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:16 pm

The game looks great, msKEN!

And, I've completed the links update for your two entries. But, I think your e-mail information needs to be updated.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:07 pm

Thank you Jup, and your right, my e-mail address did need correcting. Thanks for pointing that out. :) All fixed now.

-msKEN

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:11 pm

Wow. Looking great. Keep it up. :D

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:55 pm

I'm working on the opening movie for the game. :)

Also check the site for new downloads like wallpapers and AIM Icons.

http://krgame.microstuffx.com

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:35 pm

man this looks sweet.. i love gta..

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:52 pm

Gotta say, im rather inpressed with what i have seen so far!! Those GFX's look awsome!!!! wow..great work dude!!

K.I.T.T

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:48 am

Well I got an interesting e-mail from someone here on the board. I wont mention names, but they made a few valid points, and a few well comments that speak for themselves... and I'd like to hear your opinions on it.

First: This Site (KRO) locks threads about sharing/selling Knight Rider EPS. Why should this be any different.....

(Personally I don't care, I have all the episodes, and paid dearly for them, either threw Columbia house or people with personal collections. Whatever, that's cool.)

Second: My game is not much different from sharing videos. Its not Legal by any means. I'm using copyrighted characters that do not belong to me nor do I have a right to use or transfer from another media. Legal issues are legal issues.

Third: My game could hurt the sales of Davilex's Game.

(I think the reviews and game play on that remake of another game they already made did its own damage)

Now rather or not everyone shares the same opinions of the points pointed out by the said e-mailer is up to you. The character has already taken a further measure by reporting my site as a violation of copyrights to both Universal and scifi.com (why I have no clue, they're both one and the same network) Anyway.... the sad part is the person that is doing all of this is someone who replied to my original post saying it looks awesome and blah blah blah blah... what I did for this is beyond me...

Open to hear opinions... Should I agree that this person is right and just take the site down? Is everyone else in jeopardy? I mean who gave anyone the rights to make KITT for Need For Speed or GTA3? Jup what are your takes? You're working on a Knight Rider game as well, I'm curious to hear your take being as we are both working on a FAN game for FANS.

I don't know, this is just kind of upsetting that some people don't have anything better to do. Maybe he will start reporting conversion companies next, cause that sure as hell can't be legal.... hell I'm not even profiting from Knight Rider, those people like Don and Mark are... not me. I'm sure what there doing can't be legal either.

Taking it to another step, how was Richie and Joe able to publish a book with title Knight Rider in it? I mean just so many loop holes present themselves here.... I don't know, I'm ranting and I apologize to everyone but this is a little bit upsetting. I'm a hobbiest trying to have a little fun, and people with to much time on there hands have to be arogant and on a power trip. First of all not to many people are even interested in this project, I mean I'm entertaining a small group, at least with the Friday The 13th project I was working on I had about 400-600 people visiting my site a week. That and Todd Farmer the guy who scipted one of the movies actaully gave me support to work on the game. Now I get 24 hits a week if I'm lucky! lol. And thats mainly because I haven't posted to that other community that I'm even back yet because I wanted to work on this Knight Rider project. Ok I'm ranting again. I'm done here.

-msKEN

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:22 am

Let me just say as a moderator, as somebody who is charged with watching over many of the legalities and actions on this board....

That the absolute chickensh** that has been reporting sites and taking it upon themselves to play god and report sites and such needs to go get a life, and to STOP WASTING UNIVERSAL'S TIME. All you are going to do is totally screw up this KR community, and if that is what you want, go find another damn hobby, because all it is going to earn you here, is a whole lot of people wanting you hung by certain anatomical parts of your body.

Ken, I am sorry that this crap had to happen to you. One of the primary reasons why we here at KRO have a policy of no talking about selling or redistributing episodes is because of those who are making a profit off of it. THAT is illegal. That gets the attention of the wrong crowds, who, by the way, can do their own NARCing, without help from some overbearing dogooder who has no clue. In addition, internet trade of officially copyrighted EPISODES and video clips is also frowned upon, primarily because of what is happening to the music industry.

But the rest of us, INCLUDING THIS SITE fall under the fair use clause. None of us are making a profit, none of us are exploiting Knight Rider for our personal gain, just trying to express ourselves and the show we love for entertainment purposes only. The reason why Richie and Joe got away with what they did on their book, is because they used the words 'unofficial' and 'unauthorized', and made it absolutely Clear that it was not sanctioned, like many fandom books that are created.

Up until now, Knight Rider has been fairly invisible, because we follow all good things, and make a few blanket statements to keep people off our rear. Games come and go. But fan efforts are generally applauded, and embraced. The creation of games falls into the same area as fan fiction, it's just an extension. (and in many cases, a game ends up as a visual fan fic.)

So, Ken, speaking as a moderator and a contributor to this community in many ways, HELL NO they are not right, and I would encourage you to fight, and continue on as much as you can. And as for those who are quick on the trigger to report to Universal or anybody else you want to loudly open your trap to? Just remember, if any of our community of websites or efforts go down, then it will be all your fault, because sooner or later, Universal is going to get sick and tired of all the whining, and they are going to do something about it just out of spite. Get it?

KI
(steps off her soap box now)

modelmaker
Volunteer

copyright violation

Post by modelmaker » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:57 am

First of all breathe KI breathe LOL :lol:
Ok i spoke with universal when i began building my unofficial replica of KITT last year regarding the copy right issues broken down they basically said: 1) So long as the knight rider name was not being used to promote my car at shows or to make profit they did not have a problem. :D
2) the name KITT is not universal copyright K.I.T.T is
MSKEN you should get on with the game just change a couple of things such as:
Instead of calling it KNIGHT RIDER RPG shorten it to KR:RPG we know what you are on about.
And secondly dont put the dots in Kitts name.
You shouldnt have a problem just cos you are using a likeness of the car also give the theme tune if you intend on using it a few tweaks here and there to differ it slightly from the original kinda like Vanilla ice did with the ice ice baby tune.
Lastly may i say to whatever scum is lurking in our boards trying to destroy our hobby reporting copyright infractions
GET A LIFE WE ALL HAVE ONE ITS WHERE YOU GO OUTSIDE AND SEE THE SUNSHINE INSTEAD OF HIDING BEHIND THE ANONIMITY OF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN CAUSING TROUBLE ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT BROUGHT ABOUT THE SLIPPERY FALL OF KNIGHT REGISTRIES INTO THE ABISS IF YOU WERE A TRUE KR FAN YOU WOULD COMMEND THIS GUY FOR ALL THE WORK HE IS PUTTING INTO THIS PROJECT NOT TRYING TO SCUPPER HIS EFFORTS BEFORE IT GETS OFF THE GROUND.
Cough Splutter breath breath lol
Hope this helps Msken DONT GIVE UP its all to easy to say i quit i nearly did with my conversion after it was vandalised and something i heard picked me up and gave me a slap and said got on with it dude take care and i cant wait to play it :D :D :D :D

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:24 am

Sweet! The new model looks better!

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:15 am

Ken, I think it boils down to pure jealousy in this case.

You're building something for the fans, have openly admitted that it will be a non-profit venture, and have respected all of Universal's copyrights on your site and such.

From a legal standpoint, I feel there is little Universal can do. (And if they did, they would create a PR riot from many upset KR fans).

I think said individual, as with so many sad cases out there, just cannot stand to see people getting enjoyment from creating things for other people. They are probably just jealous of all your hard work, and the praise you are getting for your efforts.

If anything, this is an encouragement to carry on. To see it through, and to not let d*ckheads ruin an entire community's enjoyment.

The many outweigh the few. Keep at it friend. :D You've got a great project there.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:22 pm

Actually, if Universal got tired enough, there is more than enough that they can do. For the handful of Knight Rider fans that we have, they have tons more lawyers, not to mention, the way things are going, they don't even make a public announcement, they just go to your host, and try to have you yanked. A few of us actually know exactly what we are talking about, and have had some recent experience with it. You can change around all the names you want. Online, in computer world, we still are in some form of hanging by our legal tails.

In short, if some shortsighted people keep bugging Universal, sooner or later, they are going to take it out on us. (Sort of like the LAST time we got a visit on this board from a legal representative.) The best thing we can do is carry on, make sure that we put our keywords of 'for entertainment and educational purposes only' on our sites, and hope that these little people who like to spoil things for others get a clue, and stop trying to ruin things for others.

KI

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:28 pm

Hi Ken!

I am so sorry to hear about the crap coming your way! It boils my blood when people like this do that!!!!!!!!!! What the hell has it got to do with them!!! They are so darn troubled with actions going on in the Knight Rider commuinty and would rather mess up our hard work! i too have had the brunt of this latley and would love to know whats driving this person!!! or people to do this.... you should have said there name!! would love to give them MY two sence worth!

I too agree with K.I, You carry on your good work...and ignore this person, you would like to think at some point they would find something constructive to do with there time rather then mess up the whole KR commuinty ! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

K.I.T.T

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:53 pm

Hey guys I'm going to take a break from this for a few days, I might even pull the site myself until I figure out what I want to do. I highly doubt Universal is going to do anything. That was teh least of my concearns, the fact that they let these conversion companies exsists, tells me Universal is all about keeping the fans, not sueing them. Thats not even an issue. Its the thought that one of you on this board was aroagant enough to do this. Now I'm not pointing fingers at anyone saying its a mistery but now looking over the e-mail address it is a bit fishy, and I'm hoping its someones sick idea of a joke.

Until further notice, this project is on freeze.

-msKEN

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:24 pm

I agree with everyone else here that this person should be hunted down and taught a lesson. What right does this person have to cause pure trouble like this? Although, it does seem like every community I've ever visited enough times shows signs of having at least one such person. So, these trolls are a fact of life. :(

I also agree that by no means should you let this in-duh-vidual affect your efforts in any way to create this wonderful game. And, I have a hard time believing that your game could harm the commercial game in any way. After all, I believe that if anyone wanted to buy that game before, they wouldn't be turned away because a second, free game that is totally different, would change their mind. (I agree with you that the commercial game has already done the harm to itself.) Now, if it was a choice on which game to buy...

On the legal issues, you have a point. And, it all rests on how lenient Universal wants to be with us. So far, they have been really gentle. Which is a great thing. And, keeping things non-profit really helps to keep that going. But, on my game, I was more willing to make the game BEFORE all the KR revivals started up with the new movie and the classic episode DVD's and the new commercial game. (There are other points, too. Like the usual time I used to make the game, the early AM hours, are no longer possible for me and the fact that my job takes priority and my main computer was down for months and HDD space was becoming a little tight and where would I host this large file at and this and that. The GOOD news is I am currently saving up for a P4 laptop, so that I can do some heavy graphics programming and I'm planning on taking some C++ classes. However, my long term aims are in creating some commerical grade games that I can sell...an idea that has been around even longer than The Lost Knight.) So, I became weary about the legal issues and held off on continuing the game. (I'm also thinking of another KR game that takes on the interface of a classic game, Law of the West. It's pestering me to create it. But, I don't want to get tied down with that project. At least, not right now.)

On the book's name...I think KI has the best inside track on that one. But, I figure it has to be a similar loop hole that both KR 2010 and TKR used.

On a final thought, I'd recap that you can't stop, now. Your game looks and sounds like a great asset to the KR community and, if anything, it would be strengthed by overcoming the efforts of these horrid trolls that hide behind their computer screens, trying to do what they can to make themselves feel superior.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:33 pm

msKEN wrote:Until further notice, this project is on freeze.

-msKEN
All that does is give this troll that (I hope) nobody knowingly supports around here a feeling of triumph and superiority.

It's hard to ignore the influence, though...

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:22 pm

Well I don't have to take my site down, my hosting provider just recieved an e-mail from Universal. My site was yanked. Thanks to whom ever is behind this, you got what you wanted. I'm threw with this community.

-msKEN

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:26 pm

I've got to get going. But, I just had to post this before I left. (Didn't want to wait until tomorrow.)

I've got a better idea. Make this person into a minor character in your game. Make them wear a shirt that says, "I wah bohn stopeid." Make the person bumble around like a complete drunk knocked silly. Have Kitt say something like, "Michael. Normally, I would not agree with what you did. But, just look at all the cruel and illegal things (nameless) did." and have a ten mile long list of the goofiest offenses appear as a rap sheet on Kitt's monitor. Put things like 'Drunk while jaywalking', 'Tried to prostitute with a mannequin' and 'Threw up on officer' on there. Just go nuts taking your frustrations out by finding as many bizarre, embarrassing and weird things this person "did" for their rap sheet. Maybe, this person could be holding a dozen lolly pops and leaving a lot of babies crying with boot marks on their heads. "Michael! (nameless) actually robbed and abused children! Death is the only judgment!"

It's your game. You can make fun of idiots like that in any way you want. It's only fair.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:30 pm

msKEN wrote:My site was yanked. Thanks to whom ever is behind this, you got what you wanted. I'm threw with this community.

-msKEN
Oooohhhhhh!!!!!!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:42 pm

What the hell???

I was really looking forward to the game and some useless twat goes and ruins a hard man's work??

I think you should tell us who it is but email us privately....I'd love to give em something back in return ;)

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:45 pm

We (Neil and I) are attempting to deal with the situation, so let's not get a witchhunt underway until we are totally sure of who is supposed to be hunted, ok?

KI

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:47 pm

msKEN wrote:Well I don't have to take my site down, my hosting provider just recieved an e-mail from Universal. My site was yanked. Thanks to whom ever is behind this, you got what you wanted. I'm threw with this community.

-msKEN
:cry: :cry: What is this world coming too? That game was looking fantastic! To the tw*t responsible, I hope you rot in hell. And take care Ken. This sort of behaviour is enough to put me off communities for life.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:15 pm

.....I was actually joking a bit. That's why I put the ;) with it...or at least I thought I did!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;