Finally! A little Knight Rider movie news!

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Scorp
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Finally! A little Knight Rider movie news!

Post by Scorp » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:48 am

(Yeah, I know this should be in the KR News forum, but since I ain't a mod, I can't post there, so here ya go!)

I got this from the Cinescape web site. See for yourself at http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.as ... j_id=38307

Woo-hoo!

Movie News
Two hop onboard KNIGHT RIDER
Writers hired for movie script

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Monday, April 14, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
By: News Editor

There's another step forward to report today for the KNIGHT RIDER feature film in development. Variety states that David Elliott and Paul Lovett have been hired to write the script which, the trade magazine reports, is being given the CHARLIE'S ANGELS approach: action comedy. Well, it's good to know no one's taking the idea of a talking Trans Am too seriously.

David Hasselhoff, the star of the original NBC television series, has an executive producer credit. The show's creator, Glen A. Larson, has a full producer one along with Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray. The project is set up with Revolution Studios.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:19 am

Well that sure is weird... I thought Larson finished the first draft months ago.

-Scott

Scorp
Volunteer

Post by Scorp » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:31 am

You're probably right. In the case of a script being finalized, oftentimes it can go through three or four major rewrites before it gets the official greenlight to start production.

I'm willing to bet Revolution Studios needs to see the right mix of action, comedy, and nostalgia before they commit the big bucks to the project.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:32 pm

Um, you generally don't bring in all new writers for a script revision. Something is a little freaky in tinseltown about that report. I'd definitely at this point file it under the 'rumor' column.

Actually, you might want to HOPE that it gets filed under the rumor column, since basically, they are talking about cheesing it out.

KI

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:04 pm

charlies angels??? PLEASE NO!!! it seemed like larson was actually interested in making it a GOOD film.

neps
Site Administrator

Is any news better than none?

Post by neps » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:21 pm

Well neither of these names come up via IMDB. I'm not saying that this disproves anything because we all know that while IMDB isn't usually a reliable source for information, they are pretty good with information that has been successful or out in the world already. Which would lead me to believe that these two writers are new in the world. That makes me wonder, if true, to whom did they sell their souls with to land this deal?

The thing is too with these types of stories, you never know what is fact and what is fiction. Did Larson finish a draft months ago, or did he finish a treatment?

Sadly, they do add writers to the revision and rewrite process all the time, when they feel new blood would have a better view on the material. You can see from many of the by lines of todays movies that they'll have 3 or four names attached to writing credits. From what the article states, we can't assume that they are writing from scratch.

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:30 pm

thats just what i needed to hear.. theyre gonna have carrot top driving the car and rip taylor assualting the bad guys with confetti... kitt will be the voice of eddie grifin who does nothing but do jokes about the white man holdin the black man down. that has to be a rumor cuz hasselhoff would not agree to make the movie a comedy.. the series had a little humor in it but at first they saif this would appeal to the audiences of the fast and the furious.. and it better stay theat way

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:34 pm

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main ... 10.00.film

Well, interestingly enough, the same report is showing up at scifi.com

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:22 pm

I was waiting before I posted this, but I had a feeling that this was an Associated Press story, so pretty much every news site is gonna have it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ht_rider_4

Scorp
Volunteer

Post by Scorp » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:43 am

Frankly, I'm a little shocked at you, KI. You're usually really on the ball about things, but your reaction to this was...well...not very cool.

When a Hollywood-related story shows up on Sci-Fi Channel's website or some other internet page before it shows up anywhere else, it's probably a rumor, yes. But this was coming from Variety, and they are a VERY reputable source of insider news in Hollywood.

Just because it means that the project isn't going to happen right away, it doesn't mean the project isn't going to happen at all. Look at Spider-Man. That movie took over a decade to get to the screen, after legal hassles and various script rewrites. But it turned out okay.

I agree that Larson probably really only did a treatment, not a full-on script. Writers are then brought aboard to refine it and make it entertaining. With a property like this, which may or may not immediately hook a mainstream audience, the studio has to be very, very careful. In the coming days (or weeks or months) there may be big changes in the writing staff. These guys may get fired, and others may get brought in. It's not a big deal. It happens on nearly every movie.

So let's all keep thinking good thoughts and wait to see what happens next, huh?

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:48 am

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:52 am

The free london paper (Metro) which can be found in the underground also has the same info regarding the new writers. My brother has sent me a scan of the article, so if anyone wants it let me know.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:48 am

I agree with Scorp. It sounds a genuine story and I've seen the same report on various other news websites too, and I only visit reputable ones.

All we can do is wait. Keep your fingers crossed.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:55 pm

if its a comedy im not going to it.. simply put.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:59 pm

Scorp wrote:Frankly, I'm a little shocked at you, KI. You're usually really on the ball about things, but your reaction to this was...well...not very cool.

When a Hollywood-related story shows up on Sci-Fi Channel's website or some other internet page before it shows up anywhere else, it's probably a rumor, yes. But this was coming from Variety, and they are a VERY reputable source of insider news in Hollywood.

Just because it means that the project isn't going to happen right away, it doesn't mean the project isn't going to happen at all. Look at Spider-Man. That movie took over a decade to get to the screen, after legal hassles and various script rewrites. But it turned out okay.

I agree that Larson probably really only did a treatment, not a full-on script. Writers are then brought aboard to refine it and make it entertaining. With a property like this, which may or may not immediately hook a mainstream audience, the studio has to be very, very careful. In the coming days (or weeks or months) there may be big changes in the writing staff. These guys may get fired, and others may get brought in. It's not a big deal. It happens on nearly every movie.

So let's all keep thinking good thoughts and wait to see what happens next, huh?
1) Chill out.

2) I generally like to get it from the source, rather than second, third, and fourth hand, where the story has a tendency of changing. It's one of those things that comes from being around long enough to know to wait for confirmation of rumors, rather than jumping the gun.

3) Variety also reported that casting had started for the movie, a movie that has now not even been written yet, the way it is being described. If you don't like having a skeptic's reaction, then don't post it. Just because it came from Variety, does not mean that it is written in stone. It is all rumor until it becomes true.

4) Be surprised at me all you want. And yes, I know that the project is going through so far. I do believe that there has been a lot of reports on just that very thing. I also know about the reports that had Devon as a hologram. Had Knight Rider as a cartoon. Even had the thing named Super Knight Rider 3000, and also had it as a made for TV Movie. I do think that when it comes to the rumor mill about this movie, I have a pretty good clue about what I am doing. So don't get so bent out of shape just because I didn't drop everything and throw a parade. Not once did I say that it was unbelievable. Not once did I say it was not true. I said that it is a RUMOR. Which, until it comes directly from Revolution Studios' Press Kit, that is EXACTLY what it is.

And now, for all of you to get a glimpse into what the original article off of Variety said, please have a look FROM THE SOURCE, NOT THE OTHERS WHO ALL JUMPED ON IT.

From Variety:

Scribes revving up 'Knight Rider' pic
Hasselhoff to exec produce; Elliott, Lovett to pen script

By MARC GRASER

This article was corrected on April 14, 2003.
The wheels are in motion on Revolution Studios' bigscreen adaptation of the 1980s TV show "Knight Rider."

The studio has hired tyro scribes David Elliott and Paul Lovett to pen the script for the pic, which is being planned as an action comedy.

TV series ran on NBC from 1982 to 1986, revolving around Michael Knight and his talking car K.I.T.T., a sleek black Pontiac Trans Am, as they fight crime.

Elliott and Lovett are also writing Revolution's comedy "Neighborhood Watch."

ICM brought "Knight Rider" to Revolution partner Tom Sherak. It will be overseen by studio development exec Navid McIlhargey.

"Knight Rider's" original star David Hasselhoff will executive produce the pic, while Disney-based Mayhem Pictures' Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray will produce with Glen A. Larson, who created the "Knight Rider" TV show.

Ciardi and Grey produced Revolution's comedy "The New Guy" and Disney's "The Rookie."

Elliott and Lovett are repped by CAA and manager Jim Burke.

Date in print: Mon., Apr. 14, 2003, Los Angeles

I still remain skeptical, because it also contradicts several things that Variety reported in the past. News is news. I am trying to remain positive. Things happen. I also have heard from sources closer to Larson than we are, that he had just finished writing the script. At this point, rumors should be viewed as, as that, not as gospel. That is basically the same thing we have said around here, back when Mike and I were dealing with these things on an average of three a day, to keep a bit of realism around. So that the disappointment factor doesn't get too high, and that constant bashing of the new movie doesn't become a fad.

So, once again, be surprised at me all you want, but kindly do not interpret my actions in a negative way. That is not how they were meant, and that is not how they should be viewed, either. You want to slam me down, and show me your disappointment, do it via email.

KI

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:03 pm

right on

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:32 pm

Ah, thats what I've been waiting for, the original text.. Thanks KI.

Producers from "The New Guy" and "The Rookie" Ugh, that says Comedy, I don't see action there.

As for using the term Action Comedy, Knight Rider always had an underlying level of Comedy, so that should be expected. However, the term itself scares me as it seems that they'll be 50/50. I hope its more ACTIONcomedy (big on action, little on comedy)

And with writers who's only other previous credits are an unreleased comedy, i fear it will be actionCOMEDY

Only time will see.

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:45 pm

we need a sticky thread on movie news.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:53 pm

Your wish is my command. I threw up the one that had been around the longest.

KI

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:13 am

neps wrote: As for using the term Action Comedy, Knight Rider always had an underlying level of Comedy, so that should be expected. However, the term itself scares me as it seems that they'll be 50/50. I hope its more ACTIONcomedy (big on action, little on comedy)

And with writers who's only other previous credits are an unreleased comedy, i fear it will be actionCOMEDY

Only time will see.
Thats what concerns me as well. Knight Rider had that "tongue in cheek" thing going on but nothing more. Action comedy implies too much but I suppose they can't really say "action with a little comedy through in!".

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:23 am

ty for makin it sticky

Chuckysan
Volunteer

Bad Comedy??

Post by Chuckysan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:29 pm

I must have missed something (as per usual lol)

The news post said that the movie would be in the approach of the Charlie's Angels movie? Isn't that a good thing? Love it or hate it, the Charlie's Angels movie kept the same tounge-in-cheek feel as the original show. So I'd read that news about the KR movie as wanting to keep it in the same mood as the original? Of course, maybe I'm being overly optomistic.

Also, "The Rookie" (I'm assuming its the Dennis Quade movie, not the 80's Clint Eastwood/Charlie Sheen movie) may not have been an action movie, but it sure wasn't a comedy either. All in all, I think things are looking up. Lets face it, at least its being picked up as major news story. Only good can come from more people learning that its being made.

:)

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:00 pm

revolution studios however is an action thing (xXx) and by the charlies angels thing they meant the comedy part... if i see michael.. or kitt for that matter airwalk up a fence im leaving the theatre

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:13 am

Im starting to think this will be a very bad direction for the movie to go. A coworker at work told me He has already made up his mind not to see it based on this comedy aspect. With that being said I started thinking a lot about it at work lastnight trying to pass the time. Anyway ive come to the conclusion its gonna go the Brady Bunch Movie route. Be a Parody of itself in other words become a joke.

I have a lady friend who says she no longer likes it cause it was a kids show and she's now a grown up. Perhaps the direction they want to take is to appeal to the market of people who used to like it by making them laugh at making fun of it. (MEGA BAD IDEA) but I bet that's where its going.

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:44 pm

i didnt want my post on teh other movie news thread tgo go to waste..

since tis aimed at a more youthful audience ittl have public service messages in it.
MK:gee, that was swell kitt
KITT:you know whats even more swell michael? when you dont use drugs.
(funded by big tobacco)
KITT:a good alternative to drugs is cigarettes, which by the way are completely non addictive
MK:really?
KITT:yes, try one
MK:damn, ,these are magnificint
KITT:oh and michael, have you lookeed at your hands lately?
(looks at hands)
KITT:ha ha, i got you michael, before you entered i secreted oil through my steering wheel
MK:oh kitt, its like were in an action comedy movie or something.

i was a tad drunk but tis still kinda funny.. i guess.. maybe not.. nonetheless...there.