Building a KITT car OR converting a Trans Am

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Building a KITT car OR converting a Trans Am

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:19 pm

Ok, I was going to post this at Knight Registries, but they all seemed to be discussing parts, so I thought it best not to post a 'newbie' question there.

Anyway, I was just wondering what is the estimated budget you would need to convert/build a KITT replica?

Are Trans Am's from the early 80s easy to find still, or are they quite rare now?

And finally, are there any companies that offer to do these conversions/builds for you? I remember a company called Diamondback, but have no other details.

Sorry if I sound a little unknowledgeable, but trying to learn about American cars and companies when you're in the UK can be complicated. :D

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:27 pm

Hello,

In Europe, 82-84 are quite difficult to find. Add to that, to find in good conditions, so without rust damages especially and with their original parts.

I can't tell you how it could cost to convert it because I didn't convert my car but only restoring and it is more expensive for us in Europe than for the ones in the USA.
Last edited by GB on Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guillaume - Pontiac Trans AM 1984

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:36 pm

I was only born in 81, lol

So, did Pontiac sell Trans Ams in Europe too? I got the impression they were American sold only.

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:36 pm

You're looking at $25,000-35,000 to do a conversion. Check out the 'garage' section of http://www.knightregistries.com for conversion companies. They do offer what's called a "turnkey" car, as in just turn the key and go, but these cost $35,000-45,000.+

Also, the rims, hubcaps, and front seats needed for a KITT or KARR are very old and VERY rare, and all we have are what was made back then. There have been a few places offering replica hubcaps, but they're quite expensive, averaging $85 per cap.

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:41 pm

I am born in '81 too :wink:

From what I know, Pontiac never sold officially new '82 and later Firebird (same goes for 3rd gen Camaro). So all the 3rd gen you can find in Europe, are here because one day, some people (with money for sure :) ) decided to import them from the States at one time of the life of the car.

In France, before they stop producing F-Body in the States, I know you were able to order a 4rth gen Firebird / Trans AM new, directly from the dealers we have here, via Opel which represents GM in Europe. I am assuming it must be the same in UK, isn't it ?

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:45 pm

Erm, I think we have Vauxhall instead of Opel over here. lol

Hmm, very interesting. I'm looking at getting a 3rd gen, could you give a rough estimate of price in Euros? :D

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:48 pm

When you say turn key, does that mean they are pre-built for you? :?:

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:49 pm

I paid mine for 1600 euros (black '84 Trans AM with 305 V8 carb). I got it in Germany. But it seems, from all the people I know in the US cars business here in France, that I did the deal of the century :D 8)

Normally, 82-84 in good shape cost usually between 5000-7000 euros in France. But you can have luck like I had.

I noticed on Findit.co.uk some 82-84 for sale recently, just take a look there :wink:

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:51 pm

Yes, turnkey is a car that you pay and you just have to "turn the key" :wink: Depending on your money, it is built following your wishes :wink:

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:54 pm

1600! wow, thats... about £1000. Hey, thats pretty good :D

And the turn key thing sounds great as I know next to nothing about the mechanics of a car. lol

The trouble is, as always, the money. :?

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:56 pm

Yes, turnkeys are completely pre-assembled for you, and yes, you can have them done to your specifications. However, turnkeys have preset prices for what they offer. If you want it customized in any way, it may cost you extra... oh, and the $35,000-45,000 does not include shipping/delivery of any kind.

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:58 pm

Yes, turnkeys are expensive but when you are able to buy one, don't forget you get a complete show car. All is done (engine tune-up or even replacement, same goes for the tranny, interior is fully restored, body too, and you get a 2000$-3000$ dollars paint job 8) )and normally you don't have nothing to do to it :D

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:01 pm

Oh gawd... lol... how much would shipping cost?? :(

I'm not too fussed about the interior to be honest. Just want the outside to look right.

The only modification I want is to have a green scanner light. Like my beloved SKAR creation. lol (click the link in my signature if you haven't seen it yet) :)

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:02 pm

For the mechanical thing, don't worry. I wasn't interested too much in that side of owning a classic auto (especially an US car) but I am not confident in the mechanics here (when you see what they do with regular cars and what they ask, you don't want to imagine what they will do with a Firebird and what they will charge you due to the fact it is a rare car which required specific mechanics... :roll: :roll: ) and I knew nothing too.

But I learnt and since I have it, I did all by myself. It allows me to control everything done to the car, I save money and it is very interesting to do... I do what Bonnie did LOL :wink:

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:04 pm

Ah I see, so are you actually building a KITT conversion, or slowly restoring the car to its original state? :)

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:06 pm

I have no idea on the shipping, but I know here in the states it's already in the hundreds. Also, it depends on what you want the car for. If you're going to be showing it off at shows and contests and such, yes, a turnkey is the way to go, but if it's just for you, personal, not to be shown off everywhere (as I'm doing with both my Kitt and Karr conversions). Also, a turnkey has no personal touches, nothing to make it say 'this is your Kitt as compared to everyone elses.. except for the year car used, which you wouldn't be able to discern from looks after the conversion anyway, they're all identical.

I also did Kitt myself and plan on doing Karr myself as well. :)

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:10 pm

No, I don't know of any UK shows like that. lol
We're only a small isle... :wink:

It would be for personal use. I imagine it would be quite a target for car thieves. Although the cars are old, can you still install modern security devices?

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:11 pm

I especially finish the repair due to a collision with a Renault Laguna... :roll:

That moron hit me on the left side. He totalled his car LOL although I didn't have MBS (I only had to change the door and the fender + left front lower arm + left spindle + left steering rod) :D But yes, I am trying before to restore it to the '82 standard. I have already PMDs, round shifter, 14" rims + caps. It needs only to fill some holes due to the removing of the ground FX. It is completely rust free, fully loaded now. I got my car rebuilt and I tuned it up.
When I will estimate it is ready to begin the conversion, I will do it :D I want it to be perfect first

katz112
Recruit

Post by katz112 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:13 pm

I would be interested in converting my GTA which is in storage (and needs a lot of restoring!)........but have some other questions.

1. Do you have to do the whole conversion, or can you by pass stuff you don't want to create a different look?

2. I would be looking at places near Michigan that do this type of job. Does anybody know of anyone??

Thanks

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:15 pm

Fair play to you my french friend :)

If you ever convert it, be sure to send us all a picture.

And as for the Renault... tut. lol

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:17 pm

Yes, sure, you can put some alarm devices :D personnally, my car didn't come with one when I bought it. I will maybe install one later.

About the thieves thing, I thought it was big deal before having it but they aren't cars which are looked for.
What will they do with it ?? Selling it ?? Market is too small.
Using the parts ?? Then they will have to find a lot of owners to achieve their goal and to make money.

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:18 pm

You have pics on my WWW links :wink: but it is still stock.

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:20 pm

For some kind of meetings where you can find some Firebird / Trans AM, I think you have the Billings car show or something like that in the UK, in June. You can find that info on Knightsofengland website I think :wink:

I also saw João's KITT if you know his conversion when he came to my house. It looks great 8) 8)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:23 pm

Now, I had my base car stolen, and chopped up for parts, so saying that it isn't a target, well, that's not exactly true.

But one of the largest concerns for a conversion is the idiots who think they are prime targets for vandalism. Don't know exactly what possesses them, but I have heard many reports about conversions getting hit harder than other cars, so a security system would probably still be a wise choice.

Now, as for other questions about any united states conversions. The guys at Knight Registries would be best suited for answering those questions, but if you aren't going for a 'perfect' replica, they will give you a little bit of grief. You also might want to try Knight Replicas, they seem to be a little more open to less 'perfect' conversions. You can do whatever you want, since it is your vehicle, however, but the more extraordinary you get outside the standard established conversions, the more you will find yourself on your own.

For UK conversions, you might want to go visit Knights of England at http://www.knightsofengland.fsnet.co.uk/ they, too will have a lot more information there for you.

KI
Last edited by knightimmortal on Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:23 pm

My car was stolen while it was still stock. It's usually chopped up and sold for parts. Luckily I got it back with minor damage and nothing missing but the wheels.. fortunately they weren't the turbo fins needed for Kitt.

As for security, yes, you can install anything you want. You also can skip or change things as you see fit. That's what I meant about personal touches. My car is quite a mixed bag, and that's because I wanted it that way. I wanted something that the average person could recognize as Kitt, but the fan/fellow conversionist could see the differences in it so it wasn't a clone. Karr will be this way as well, and my Kitt and Karr will have differences further than dashboard styles (My Kitt has the 1 TV, my Karr will have the 2).

KI - I am a conversionist. I have 2 conversions and I'd be happy to answer any questions for people. Besides that, this is a KR board and I can't think of anything more KR related.

As for what's a 'perfect' replica and what's not, we just had a long discussion about this at the Registries, and it doesn't exist. Everyone is welcome to make their Kitt or Karr as they see fit and all will be considered replicas or offshoots of replicas and respected. Since Kitt and Karr changed so much between episodes - not to mention the ambiguity of locations of certain buttons - nothing is considered 'perfect' or 'authentic'. For exampe, my Kitt has the 4th season dash with the 1st season pods (buttons) and my steering wheel knight insignia is blue, however, he is still considered a replica. Another person did the 2-tv dash with 1-tv dash electroncs, and he's a member of Knight Registries. :)
Last edited by DBZ KITT on Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.