New KITT Suggestions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

slickbrit
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What car to use in movie?

Post by slickbrit » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:05 am

I think the major factor to take into account is why a Trans-Am was originally used. Was it because
a) they wanted to promote that car
b) that was the "in" car of the day or
c) it just happened to be the best available car to meet their criteria.
If it was picked for either of the first two reasons, your not gonna see them use a Trans-Am in the new movie. The producers are bound to look at modern day cars and decide which one they like the best, or even look into futuristic cars - it would be pretty cool if they approached a manufacturer with the idea of designing a car specifically for the part. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Kxx

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:26 am

A big factor for the series was cost. They needed a good-looking car that they could get a lot of and destroy them. That won't be as critical for the movie.

I think one of the reasons why Knight Rider worked so well is that from the outside KITT looked fairly normal; he was an "everyman's" car. If Michael pulled up to the farm in the Batmobile, he would have stuck out like a sore thumb. So whatever car they choose, I'm hoping they don't do too much customizing on the exterior.

Mike

KRR
Rookie

Post by KRR » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:42 am

That's why KITT really worked better than the Knight 4000: the Trans Am looked normal on the outside, but futuristic on the dash; the K4K looked futuristic on the outside and semi-normal on the dash (Okay, except for the VR mode).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pajaro:
<STRONG>A big factor for the series was cost. They needed a good-looking car that they could get a lot of and destroy them. That won't be as critical for the movie.

I think one of the reasons why Knight Rider worked so well is that from the outside KITT looked fairly normal; he was an "everyman's" car. If Michael pulled up to the farm in the Batmobile, he would have stuck out like a sore thumb. So whatever car they choose, I'm hoping they don't do too much customizing on the exterior.

Mike</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:39 pm

Whatever they use, I just hope its cool.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:19 pm

Modern Day Muscle Cars?! That's a contradiction in terms. Most of the kids who were born during the show or shortly there after think that a turbo charged Honda or Neon or any other 4 cylinder that has been souped up is a "muscle car." The only "REAL" muscle cars left are Trans Am, Viper, Corvette, Camaro and the Mustang. The muscle car era died in the early 70's when the Hemi was outlawed and unleaded gas came about.

I hope that Revolution will use a TA, but if they don't I hope they pick a REALLY fast, rear wheel drive, and cool looking car. Not that tomato on wheels front wheel drive mocked up Dodge Stealth.

Dave

KRAvenger
Rookie

Post by KRAvenger » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pajaro:
<STRONG>A big factor for the series was cost. They needed a good-looking car that they could get a lot of and destroy them. That won't be as critical for the movie.

Mike</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael in the batmobile- there's a wealth of humor in there, but i can't quite seem to grasp it. Anybody else want to try?

KRAvenger
Rookie

Post by KRAvenger » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:35 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the mercury marauder? i think I saw one the other day, but I'm not sure. Whatever it was, i think it might work for KITT.

KRR
Rookie

Post by KRR » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:48 pm

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KRAvenger:
<STRONG>

Michael in the batmobile- there's a wealth of humor in there, but i can't quite seem to grasp it. Anybody else want to try?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im not sure if Mike actually ment THEE Batmobile, maybe just a ridiculously customized car like what the batmobile was.

What was KITT ? he was a Trans Am with subtle body kit, new front nose and a black out over his rear lights, that was it and he looked great. thats what they should be aiming for again, a nice enough looking car, make some changes to it and work their magic on the interior again.

i hate all of these stupid futuristic looking cars in films, like the Lexus things they used in Minority Report, stuff like that, and the 4000 too, it was horrible, stuck out like a sore thumb. why is the future assosiated with ridiculous looking cars ???? argh. If something like that were to be used it would really ruin the film for me, thats what draws me to knight rider in the first place, the car.

scott

KRAvenger
Rookie

Post by KRAvenger » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KRR:
<STRONG> Image </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, that wasn't it. Wish i could remember what it was...

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:11 am

I'm hearing a lot about true musclecars and all that...and how some cars just look like sedans with a big motor or something. I think I should take this time to remind everyone, however, that the first musclecars were just sedans with big motors in them. Later came the pony cars that people are now calling muscle cars, the mustang, the camaro, the firebird, etc. In its truest essence, the T/A was a sports car, rather than a muscle car.

Darknight

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:50 am

I gotta disagree with you there DK. The late 60s early 70s Trans Ams were definitive Musclecars. But don't take my word for it, I looked it up: musclecars.net lists the '69 Firebird as one of their Top 10 cars. And musclecargarage.com lists 5 Firebird among their 50 Fastest Musclecars of all time (and that doesn't count the camaro cousins.)

Mike

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:19 pm

If this is true about Universal wanting 82's here's a thought.....they could start the movie with Kitt in his original body, he gets bumped off, wasted, whatever and then has to get rebuilt into a newer body whatever that may be.

Just a thought.... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Cheri

New member 1
Stranger

Post by New member 1 » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:03 pm

I personally hope they would use the older Trans-Am in the beginning, and have it smashed up, and "converted" into a newer generation. I dont care how, but I would just like to see the old 82' trans am have a part in the movie.

When I saw the "newer" red Knight 4000 car in the movie, i was very dissapointed. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

ManWhoDoesNotExsist
Volunteer

Post by ManWhoDoesNotExsist » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:06 pm

the only thing i could see is kitt in the k4000 dodge stealth, wouldve been nicer in black though. anyway this car is still in production isnt it (ok not with the tomato bodyshell, but the underpinnings)???

possibly with shawn macormack (hopefully PLEASE!!!! played by someone else) teaming up with a younger partner (just to continue the K2000 universe) some time after the kr2k movie was set...???

can anyone else see a killer kitt type scenario sometime after kr2000, if maddock decided he didnt like kitts 'humanity' and then michael goes back for some reason to find his partner no longer recognising him once more....?? (might be an interesting start point for a fanfic, especially as the new kitt had the ability to 'stun' human targets and we are never told whether the original k4000 programming was updated to respect ALL life, after the 'deer incident')

anyway thats my 2euro worth.... jan hammers music was better than the TKR tune too!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:12 pm

1. The Dodge Stealth is no longer in production.

2. There is some great hope that they don't follow the KR2K storyline, except for maybe as a way to explain Devon's death.

knightimmortal

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:43 pm

Ok, good enough. Let's make a compromise. The T/A may be considered a musclecar, but all the same, musclecars started as big sedans and/or mid sized family cars, with even bigger engines. I will say that a sports car is superior to just a musclecar, due to the fact that they're built not just for acceleration, but handling, braking, and overall feel and control. Ordinary musclecars didn't have that, thus the need for sports cars. The '82 T/A was more of a sports car, because it had more of their characteristics than of musclecar characteristics. The straight acceleration wasn't that good, but it looked fast and handled great. I think people are more willing to consider the F bodies as musclecars, just because they're rear wheel drive and have big engines, and there aren't any true musclecars to compare them with. The large Impala SS from a few years back was a musclecar. The new Marauder coming out is a musclecar. The GTO is and was a musclecar. T/A's just didn't have the same characteristics. We can call them musclecars, but that's quite a stretch, even if some organizations consider them as such, because their dues paying members think they're musclecars. What I don't get is this: Why would anyone prefer to consider the T/A a musclecar rather than sports car anyway? A sports car is more of a total package. Muscle cars are just about acceleration in a straight line. I prefer to think that the car that gave birth to KITT was a sports car.

Darknight

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:34 am

Here we go again, yet another post taken from the registries board.

"Hi everyone
Im so happy about this
Here is the story one month ago I found a great donor car(1982 TA)and paid for it two weeks ago.
Last wed it was deliverd by the guy I bought it from. And he said one week after I paid for it he got a call from universal wanting to buy it. He also said the guy from universal told him they need ten 1982 trans ams for the film.
I thought maybe there doing a flashback seen in the new movie but they wouldent need ten. I really think the whole movie will be using the original F-Body.

Happy to be able to share this with ya.

HAHA UNIVERSAL CANT HAVE MY CAR, I WAS TO FAST FOR EM."

but there is always doubt, could be 100% true, could be 100% made up. im not too sure about having the 82 model as KITT through the whole film, id rather see him updated to the new trans am so this film gets noticed by everybody else, but speaking as a fan, id love to see original KITT in the film ! im pretty sure revolution studios arent just aiming this film at us, if they did it would be a total failure.

scott

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Newcastle knight ]

Zarate
Volunteer

Post by Zarate » Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:22 am

Hey new here been reading these boards for a while thought i'd throw in my two cents.

I hope the original body is in the movie and updated in the movie...has anyone seen the cadillac EVOQ? its a new car by gm and it be perfect for kitt...and they need to promote it so it would be great i think.

here are some pics.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: O and A ]

Zarate
Volunteer

Post by Zarate » Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>KARR was supposed to look like KITT's evil twin. Both would end up looking evil if they were like that.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If kitt gets updated to ayn car then karr would probably not be updated by the same people considering that hes evil. he would probably a differnt car

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: O and A ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:51 pm

Why? He wasn't in the original?

And it sort of takes the sails out of the 'evil twin' concept.

knightimmortal

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>KARR was supposed to look like KITT's evil twin. Both would end up looking evil if they were like that.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was just a joke

scott

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:46 pm

What, I'm not allowed to comment on your joke?

KI

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:11 pm

just sounded like you took it a bit too seriously, no way would i like that car in the film anyway, but you just said it looked evil, KARR is evil, i put 2 and 2 together etc, ah well, never mind.

scott

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:16 pm

*sigh* No, I didn't take it too seriously, I was just commenting about the slightly laughable evil twin concept. I fail again. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

knightimmortal