The New Game

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knightling
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The New Game

Post by Knightling » Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:41 am

Has anybody tried the new knight rider game; It came out in Nov. 2002.
I know it's for playstation 2 and other platforms, but i downloaded it for the computer from imesh.

Has anybody else played it? What do you Think?

Knightling

Andy101
Volunteer

Post by Andy101 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:20 pm

Best car sim game ever created!! KITT is so cool

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:35 pm

Andy101 wrote:Best car sim game ever created!!
I think not...

Scott

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:41 pm

Best car sim game ever created!! KITT is so cool
I guess you have not seen Midtown Madness 2 yet them???

http://www.knightrideruk.com/midtownmadness2.html

K.I.T.T

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:18 pm

1) Welcome to the board.

2) If you look through the board, you will see how much support the new KR game got on here, until several played it, and then, it was a huge disappointment to many.

3) We do still try to have a firm belief, even though it isn't available in North America until March, that we do need to try to wait out to buy the game, so, downloading it isn't all that favorable in the eyes of many, because it just undercuts the legitimate efforts to try to bring Knight Rider merchandise to the community. The demo is one thing. Downloading the game is quite another.

4) Did I mention, welcome to the board? ;)

KI

Count Dracula
Recruit

Post by Count Dracula » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:16 pm

It was a let down? That sucks. Let me guess, the NES Knight Rider game is better then this new one?

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:28 pm

the nes knight rider game is NOT better than this one

the game was just a bit too easy for some peoples liking i guess, i thought it was pretty sweet especially the super pursuit mode and turboboost

btw get it for the pc so you can edit out some of the not so accurate sound effects of super pursuit mode, which are all encoded in WAV format so changing them is simple.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:45 pm

I'll agree, the NES game was not better than this one.

But it is those little things that add up, like the inaccurate SPM sounds, etc. that really put a damper on things. You also need to keep in mind that there are also a bunch of serious gamers on this board. There are also a bunch of serious KR enthusiasts who wanted what we were promised with the original game. And there is a whole group on this board that didn't just stumble on the game, we were there from the first announcement until European delivery.

KI

Andy101
Volunteer

Post by Andy101 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:49 pm

Well the reason i like this game alot is because it's with KITT and it has missions and everything. The graphix are pretty good i admit there are some better games with better graphics.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:08 pm

As a Knight Rider collectible, it is great. As a game, it is a game. The NES version had missions and everything too.

KI

Count Dracula
Recruit

Post by Count Dracula » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:06 pm

knightimmortal wrote:I'll agree, the NES game was not better than this one.

But it is those little things that add up, like the inaccurate SPM sounds, etc. that really put a damper on things. You also need to keep in mind that there are also a bunch of serious gamers on this board. There are also a bunch of serious KR enthusiasts who wanted what we were promised with the original game. And there is a whole group on this board that didn't just stumble on the game, we were there from the first announcement until European delivery.

KI
And what was it we were "promissed"?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:08 pm

Look through some of the past threads on the game using the 'Search' feature. We asked for accuracy, and detail, and we got...a car game.

KI

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:24 pm

i am a huge fan of collecting merchandise for my fave tv shows (the transformers dvd box set of season one being a particular fave at the mo! :D ) but i won't just throw my hard-earned cash out on anything and everything to do with them.

i have a 'cube and a GBA and so was in no position to buy the game, but a friend did for the simple reason that it was kr... three weeks later and he's sold it back to Game for their 2nd-hand bargain bins. i have to say that, personally, although it's great to see a KR game out these days, it was a huge disappointment to me. as violet berlin said on GamePad: "KITT is the most technologically advanced car in the world, we all know this (she's a fan of the show too :D :D ), so why can we only do *this* in the game?" the show then goes on to show a turbo boost and an SPM shot.

after the huge build up from chatting to its creators and all via the board, which was great fun, i felt let down. i thought KITT looked great, but the rest of the game lacked way behind. repetitive and too easy, it quickly became boring to me, and the big "end-game-confrontation" a huge sore point. all-in-all, it lacks that "knight rider"-ness about it.

i know others have probably aired their views already, but this is really only the start of me being able to get back online in about two months, and i saw this post and just wanted to add my own two cents :) at the end of the day, it's personal taste, but just because something is kr doesn't mean we should all just part with our cash straight away, we've all seen the awful merchandise some shows (including ours back in the 80s) got produced as cash-cows for companies just because of the name attached in the hope of fans being "suckered in", as it were. i'm not saying this is how the game was made, no no no, but other merchandise companies CAN be like that, so just be careful what we all part with our money over. :)

Irish Knight
Recruit

Post by Irish Knight » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:35 am

My favourite part in The PS2 game is when you have to race K.A.R.R. That bit is amazing. The other parts with Garth Knight and Goliath are just as great.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:21 am

It was surprisingly easy, but it's still fun IMO. And some people have complained about KITT's steering, but if you play the game enough, then you can master his driving (referring to the PC version). I'm much better at driving with KITT now and maneuvering around tight things without slowing down.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:08 pm

Hey, the game might be repititive and too easy...I've completed it in under an hour, BUT who can resist going over 200 mph in SPM?????

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:15 pm

Going 200 Mph is SPM is not the problem, controlling the car when going that fast is. Knightling -- take KI's advice and search the board for the game, youll find lots of reviews, both good and bad. Personally, i did not like the game, but theres no need to get into why again. I, along with other board members have reviewed the game, so that's your best shot.

Btw..Welcome to the board. :wink:

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:09 pm

The mission where you first use the Super-Pursuit Mode...once I disable Garthe's chopper, I like to race into the ghost town and knock a fire hydrant into the roadway, then speed away, turn around and hit it going full-tilt in SPM. You like totally fly.

Can you get on top of the buildings?

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:35 pm

Evidently the difficulties in driving aren't that difficult, since the game can be beaten so easy! I hate to hear people complain about how hard it is to drive at high speeds. It's supposed to be harder! Even in the show they made references to slowing down for better manueverability, especially when in highly populated areas. The game could have used a lot more time spent on it. We all wanted more functions from KITT, more challenging levels, heck, maybe even a level creator application. However, despite its faults, the game did have the feel of an 80's TV show turned video game, and it did feel great to be cruising down the highway driving KITT, especially for those of us who can't afford a conversion. I'm certain, however, that when the new KR movie comes out there's going to be another game that will come out for that. Let's hope they do better, but they aren't required to by law. I wish I had the resources to make my own video game and then I would be able to play the way I want to. Oh, well.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:40 pm

A game's difficulty should not come from the fact that the gameplay is horrible, making it frustrating to control the car. The game's difficulty factor should come from various other elements, such as the environments, the AI of the enemies, and the difficulty of the missions themselves. Yes, the game is simple, once you get the hang of controlling KITT. But, there were one too many times when i wanted to hurl my keyboard into my monitor in anger. And the control of the car is just ONE of the problems with the game, just one in a list thats too long to restate.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:22 pm

knightynight wrote:I wish I had the resources to make my own video game and then I would be able to play the way I want to.
I hear ya.

I, too, have for a long time wanted to make a true 3-D Knight Rider game. But, instead of a pre-mission based game like this is, my version would borrow a great idea from a Star Trek game, where the playing experience would be a bunch of mini-missions that were delivered randomly. Why is this such a great idea? Because, it shoots replay value through the roof. (Say, the game has a hundred mini-missions available and each game only calls up five of them per gaming session. Imagine the possibilities.) And, after you finish a gaming session, you could replay the session like it was an episode, with camera and other semi-basic A/V editing commands. (Say, you wanted a pan view at the beginning with KITT driving by while some classic 80's music of your choice plays in the background. Then, cut to an inside viewpoint and have Michael chatting with KITT about whatever (Perhaps, there could be pre-made conversation bits that are just filler, or something.) before Devon comes on the monitor to announce the coming mission. (Ever play Stuntman for the PS2? Those replays give a fair idea to what I'm thinking of.) Then, Michael and KITT would drive to the scene of the crime to gather clues. Oh, yes. Michael could get out of KITT and interview eyewitnesses and other people on the street/in the buildings and/or have KITT run scans. (Grand Theft Auto 3 really has the visuals that I'm looking for on this one.) Then, Michael and KITT (via the decisions of the player) try to determine where the mini-game's enemies are at. (Say for an easy level mission, the bank robbers are driving a SWAT van, for some reason. Once Michael gets that information from an eyewitness, KITT scans the area for such a vehicle, locates it and the chase begins with overview assisted radar & route. Once Michael and KITT disable the SWAT van and the police haul off the crooks, Devon pops on the monitor and delivers random mission number 2. And, so forth.

Sure, both KARR and Garthe/Goliath, (plus a few others) would be in some of the Master's mini-games. But, it's not like they are going to be the bad guy stars of the game at all. And, of course I would want KITT to have all his features. I think it would be fun to have KITT's damage reflected in downed systems. (Taken from another classic Star Trek game, as a matter of fact.) However, KITT being the super car he is, I fear that the game might be too easy if all the player has to do is to get close to the enemy and MicroJam for a win, or something. (At least the laser is a missing option, thanks to the progressive story line of the show.)

And, in my version, KITT would look like KITT, including the fully functioning dash.

Of course, I would want to place this totally awesome video game into a fully functioning Trans-Am frame with hydraulics and "window screens" and such, (See another recent post of mine about that.) making the thing downright expensive and a pure pipe dream.

So, perhaps I'll just *someday* return to my very inferior VBasic KR game that has a pre-drawn plot, NES-type graphics & sound, a barely realistic driving interface and so few of KITT's features that they feel more like an arcade bonus item than an actual option. And, it would be sad if this game were in any way superior to the brand new PC/PS2 KR game.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:04 am

I will definately agree with you Centaurus17. There were times when I wanted to pound the keyboard..

Overall, despite it's probs I still enjoy the game immensely

One other thing, according to Amazon, it's supposed to come out February 24 though Best Buy has nothing on the game yet, but hopefully it's true and will come out within 2 weeks.

Nick

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:47 am

i liked the look of KITT, from the exterior, it has to be said - even though in driving games i much prefer the road view, with no dash, like the views available in sega rally, ridgeracer etc... and the thought of a big KITT arcade game with the car just like that one-off ridgeracer cabinet is awesome!! :D :D

SPM looked sweet, and was fun to burn about it, but added nothing at all to the actual gameplay of the overall game, it was just fun for a few seconds when you weren't actually playing the game properly.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:49 pm

I've noticed that a lot of ppl who are frustrated with it have the PC version...ive always said PC's aren't built for games.

When you guys get the PS2 version, try that out. It's much better and the gameplay is more fun. Controls are pretty decent too!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;