Knight Rider DVD(s) Region 1?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tharpdevenport
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider DVD(s) Region 1?

Post by tharpdevenport » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:42 pm

I'm sorry, this has more than likely been disscussed up the butt, but is Knight Rider on DVD for Region 1 players?

Can a region 2 DVD be played on a region 1 DVD player?
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:06 pm

The Columbia House DVD's are region 1. Region 2 DVD's can only be played on Region 1 DVD players if the Region 1 DVD player is certified to do so, or can play 'Universal' or 'Multi-Region' DVD's.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:29 pm

Just to clarify... It's the DVDs themselves that can be coded as "multi-region" or "universal", not the players. Your DVD player may be able to play multi-region DVDs, but that does NOT mean it can play a DVD that is not specifically coded for your region. However, there are some players which DO play multiple regions. There is a difference, so don't be confused by them.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:36 pm

Just to clarify... DVD players are made to play certain region DVD's. So, the DVD's are coded to play in only a certain region, on certain DVD players.

So, Mike's statement is just a little misleading, the players are coded too.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:39 pm

Okay Mike, you confused me. I'm guessing its the terminology. by Multi-Region your thinking Region free. Which I don't believe was KI's intention.

DVD's can be encoded for a Region or they can be Region Free which enables the disc to be played in different regions. If your player is able to play a Region Free disc, thats normal. However if it is able to play Multiple Regions then you can play a disc that is out of your region. (Some of the high end players are like this by default, some players can be made region free via hidden menus or firmware upgrade. or some not at all)

The term multi-region is confusing and should be outlawed. Hell, region coding should be outlawed.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:24 pm

We're all on the same page here...

I have a DVD player.
It can play region 1 DVDs.
It can play universal DVDs
It can play multi-region DVDs (if the DVD is coded 1-2)
But it can NOT play a Region 2 only DVD.

My DVD player is "certified" to play region-free or universal DVDs or whatever you want to call them, but that doesn't mean it can play a Region 2 DVD.

Yes, players are coded just as DVDs are coded. But there is a difference between a Universal DVD player and a player that plays universal DVDs.

Mike

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:42 pm

Yea okay. :P

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:59 pm

Oh, and just to make things more confusing... Multi-Region is a legitimate DVD term. When you encode a DVD, you can select what Regions it can be played in. So a company could make a Region 1 & 2 DVD that would work in the U.S. and Europe, but it would not work in Asia. In that case, the DVD would be "multi-region" but would NOT be "region free".

Mike

Count Dracula
Recruit

Re: Knight Rider DVD(s) Region 1?

Post by Count Dracula » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:25 pm

tharpdevenport wrote:I'm sorry, this has more than likely been disscussed up the butt, but is Knight Rider on DVD for Region 1 players?

Can a region 2 DVD be played on a region 1 DVD player?
Back to the original question, from what I understand Region 1 only has tapes of KR, no DVD's. Correct me if I am mistaken. I don't get it, KR was made in the USA, yet we have the least ammount of "goods" to KR as compaired to the UK. What a crazy world we live in.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:28 pm

Incorrect, a few DVD's have been released in Region 1, as it says in an earlier post , before we got into the multi-layered, overbearing ways of saying: you can't exactly play The Universal Playback DVD's on all United States players.

And it's not so crazy that we are at the butt end of the merchandise, we are the country that bashes Hasselhoff, while others actually worship him.

KI

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:25 pm

Does the region 1 dvd come with special features like the episode teaser?
I'm thinking of buying it but I can always just back up the pilot I have on the Columbia House tape.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Re: Knight Rider DVD(s) Region 1?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:17 am

Count Dracula wrote: we have the least ammount of "goods" to KR as compaired to the UK. What a crazy world we live in.
The U.S. has more Knight Rider videotapes and I think at this point has more Knight Rider DVDs than is available in the U.K. (aren't we up to 5 now?) We don't have the game yet, but I think we're still pretty much ahead in terms of overall new Knight Rider merchandise.

Mike

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:32 am

The US maybe leading the UK on tapes and videos, but only just. However, in terms of recent releases of merchandise, the Japanese are way ahead. You all know about the semi and the $150 KITT and KARR RC cars, and now they have more. Only a few week ago, I picked up two baby KR RC cars (super-deformed shape KITT and KARR) and a "canned heat RC" sized car aswell. I'd ordered them via the aoshima site a month ago, but already the canned heat car has completely sold out.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:13 pm

Okay,. where can i buy the region 1s? I did a quick google search and only found region 2 Knight Rider DVDs.

----------
Then: The prisoner DVD collection
Now: The Simpsons complete second season
Later: Batman: Dark Knight (2nd Batman the animated series DVD disc)
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:35 pm

Region 1 DVDs are available from Columbia House, at

http://www.columbiahouse.com

They seem to be doing some work on the site and the member sections are not available. Knight Rider is in their "TV Greats" or "Classic TV" section (I'm not sure what they call it, I think it has changed names). You can also find Columbia House ads in the Sunday Newspaper, TV Guide, etc. and you can join their Knight Rider DVD club that way. You can't order specific episodes; instead, you have to get them sent to you once a month, or whenever they are released.

Mike

Andy101
Volunteer

Post by Andy101 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:23 pm

it dosent seem to be written on the manual but i found a code on the net that i can set my dvd-player to play whatever region i want. I don't know if it works i don't have dvds from other regions

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:29 pm

Be careful with those things, you can end up ruining your entire DVD player with them if you install them wrong, or if they are the wrong code.

KI