opening credits

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

opening credits

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:17 am

Does anyone else think the opening credits of KR promise something which just isn't delivered in the show.

The opening sequence leds the viewer into a dark hi-tech world, much along the lines of the Micheal keaton Batman movie...it really appears to be a dark futuristic world.... then you watch a light hearted bright lifey show.... always leaves my a little disappointed.

Its only somethign I've started thinking about since watching the show with my addicted son (like 4 shows a day)
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTFAN2003
Recruit

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:19 am

Yes, the opening images are a bit misleading, but they do give a fair intro to Michael and Kitt

Robin:)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:14 am

I wouldn't say I was "disappointed" seeing the differences between the tone of the credits and the show itself. In fact, I think the show is an improvement over the credits; if you're gonna have a show about a talking car, your best bet is to go tongue-in-cheek with it which is the way they went. But I do agree that the credits are a little misleading.

When Street Hawk premiered, I thought that show had the tone that Knight Rider's credits suggested. Street Hawk had the top-secret government project, a vigilante who wore a darkened helmet and had to keep his identity a secret, and had a lot more dark scenes... you might even say that Street hawk was a shadowy flight.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:12 pm

And another thing.... Michael was neither young nor a loner. Discuss.

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:32 pm

In my opinion, the intro was a look into the Knight Rider world, but needed to be converted into the normal 1980s world in California.

KITTFAN2003
Recruit

OPENING CREDITS

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:04 am

I think the description of our hero as a young loner is rather accurate. I mean, here is a man, living under a false idenity and doing a very dangerous and highly secretive job. Makes it rather hard to get close to Michael, don't you think? As for his age, I'd guess Micheal to be in in his mid twenties to Early thirties. He's not by any means an old man.

Robin :D

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:19 pm

Kids today consider 30's old. Hulk Hogan is 49 going on 50 and wrestling and I don't even consider him old. So its all peoples perception.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:35 pm

In A Good Knight's Work, we see Michael Long's tombstone, born Jan. 9, 1949. So Michael was 33-37. He's not "old", but definitely getting into the middle-age area. As far as television is concerned, I would consider people in their 20s still young, but 30 is kind of a turning point. (trust me, I went through it!)

I also think "loner" is misleading. In my mind, a loner is someone who is quiet, keeps to himself, maybe a bit shy. Michael was extremely social and always tried to be the life of the party. Airwolf's Stringfellow Hawke was a loner; Michael was a playboy.

Calling Michael "a young loner" is not completely inaccurate, but it's a bit of a stretch.

Mike

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:29 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:In A Good Knight's Work, we see Michael Long's tombstone, born Jan. 9, 1949. So Michael was 33-37. He's not "old", but definitely getting into the middle-age area. As far as television is concerned, I would consider people in their 20s still young, but 30 is kind of a turning point. (trust me, I went through it!)

I also think "loner" is misleading. In my mind, a loner is someone who is quiet, keeps to himself, maybe a bit shy. Michael was extremely social and always tried to be the life of the party. Airwolf's Stringfellow Hawke was a loner; Michael was a playboy.

Calling Michael "a young loner" is not completely inaccurate, but it's a bit of a stretch.

Mike
I always believed Michael to be in his early 30s, so that's young. Anyone under 35 (or even 35) is pretty damn young. So yes the description of "young" to Michael was accurate. Now if he was 40 or 45 when the series started and they started calling him "young", then yes it would be innacurate and then you would have an issue. AND keep in mind that Wilton Knight is the one reading the narration of Michael and the series. Wilton Knight looked to be at least 60 if not in his 70s or even older. From Wilton's perspective, Michael is a kid. I know for a fact that folks 45 and above consider 30-35 year olds to still be "kids". My dad is 58 and he calls his neighbor that is 37 a "kid".

Michael was not a loner in that he had no friends, he had Devon, Bonnie, RC and his many girlfriends. But he had no traditional family, i.e. wife, kids, brothers or sisters. I suspect most of his girlfriends were just women he met in some singles bar or something. So in many ways Michael was a loner.
Last edited by Kirin on Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirin
Recruit

Re: opening credits

Post by Kirin » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:34 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Does anyone else think the opening credits of KR promise something which just isn't delivered in the show.

The opening sequence leds the viewer into a dark hi-tech world, much along the lines of the Micheal keaton Batman movie...it really appears to be a dark futuristic world.... then you watch a light hearted bright lifey show.... always leaves my a little disappointed.

Its only somethign I've started thinking about since watching the show with my addicted son (like 4 shows a day)
I just want to say that---

I HAVE ALWAYS FELT THE SAME WAY SINCE I WAS 5 YEARS OLD!!!!

Thank you for bringing this topic up. :D

The credits have always been misleading to me. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed. The opening credits present a show that does seem to exist in a dark, forbodding, sinister hi-tech world. But the actual Knight Rider series is campy kids stuff with hokey comedy.

Though as someone else pointed out, it is very difficult to pull of a show about a talking super car in a more serious way. It could be done, and you'd still need to have some type of tongue in cheek sense of humour about it, but I don't think the producers were up to the challenge.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:14 pm

Kirin wrote: Anyone under 35 (or even 35) is pretty damn young.
I don't agree with you, but Bless You for saying that!

Mike
(thirty-something)

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:19 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Kirin wrote: Anyone under 35 (or even 35) is pretty damn young.
I don't agree with you, but Bless You for saying that!

Mike
(thirty-something)
LOL.

Well I'm 25, so now that I'm closer to 30 then 19 or 20, I've changed my opinion on people in their 30s that I had as a teenager. Suddenly folks in their 30s are looking younger and younger to me every year!

:)