Knight Rider novelizations - US vs UK editions

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dr. Raoul Duke
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider novelizations - US vs UK editions

Post by Dr. Raoul Duke » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:10 pm

I recently obtained a copy of the first Knight Rider novel by Glen Larson and Roger Hill, based off the pilot movie. When I received my delivery from eBay, it turned out that I got the British printing by W.H. Allen's Star Books imprint rather than the American one published by Pinnacle.

Years and years ago I borrowed a copy of the American printing from a library, and I remembered the book being thicker. Sure enough, the American version has 245 numbered pages, while the British version has 160. Does anyone know if the differences are simply a matter of typesetting, or is there actually more content in the American version?
Michael: You are about as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea.
KITT: I want custody of me!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Knight Rider novelizations - US vs UK editions

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:26 pm

I bought all 5 of the novels:

Some were as low as $0.50 to a few dollars. They definitely have additional scenes that weren't in the shows. From what I can remember in the pilot they added a scene where Lonnie was at the house of the rising sun where the bar fight broke out and they clobbered Michael. Wilton Knight was able to say the words that he coughed in the movie during the deathbed scene. He says "Have it taken away like the private jet design which was also a series 2,000 vehicle. The knight 2,000 had a few vehicles with that name including a car of the future, a jet plane, and who knows what else. In hearts of stone book, Michael tried to figure out where the mic is in kitt when he uses the video phone to run his electric shavor to make kitt seem like he has a short after losing the money because Devon keeps trying to contact him. My favorite is the one of trust doesn't rust where Karr ran on a hydrogen fuel source (similar to Give Me Liberty of Give me Death)and his optics were shorting and had a different energy source than kitt which was causing his internal functions to get contaminated. They do seem more interesting than the way each episode aired, nice variation. Mirror Image is Goliath. Funny how this book calls Garthe Knight Garthe Bishop.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Volunteer

Post by Dr. Raoul Duke » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 am

I've started reading the book, and I'm definitely noticing some editorial choices that reflect its UK publication -- words like "color" and "honor" are spelled with a 'u', dialogue is in single instead of double quotes, and in the scene where Michael talks with Wilton while he's trying to get back into shape, he makes mention of Wilton Knight's "private rugby field" (I'll bet money in the US version that says 'football'). But overall it seems pretty familiar to what I remember from ages ago.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Volunteer

Post by Dr. Raoul Duke » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Another interesting thing I noticed as I've been reading -- the scenes with the inept car thieves Jackson and Browne are nowhere to be seen (not that this is a major loss or anything). Do they appear in the American version of the novelization?

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 am

Dr. Raoul Duke wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 pm
Another interesting thing I noticed as I've been reading -- the scenes with the inept car thieves Jackson and Browne are nowhere to be seen (not that this is a major loss or anything). Do they appear in the American version of the novelization?
They don't appear in my American edition.

Btw, I'd be interested to know if anyone else out there has a printing error at the end of their copy of Hearts of Stone. The text in the last chapter of mine kind of repeats itself and doesn't have an ending.
If you'd be so kind as to put me down.

Down?

My dear, I'm a car. Not a plane.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Volunteer

Post by Dr. Raoul Duke » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm

jyd85 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 am
Btw, I'd be interested to know if anyone else out there has a printing error at the end of their copy of Hearts of Stone. The text in the last chapter of mine kind of repeats itself and doesn't have an ending.
I'll let you know in a couple months, I found an eBay auction where someone was selling books 2-5 for only around $60. Considering what I've seen the last two sell for individually, I realized that was a steal, so that will be my Christmas gift from my brother this year. :)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 pm

This is the final page of hearts of stone in my book:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Dr. Raoul Duke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm
jyd85 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 am
I'll let you know in a couple months, I found an eBay auction where someone was selling books 2-5 for only around $60. Considering what I've seen the last two sell for individually, I realized that was a steal, so that will be my Christmas gift from my brother this year. :)
$60??? I found these for very cheap. Most I spent was I think $12 for the pilot book

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... k&_sacat=0

WhiteBird
Rookie

Post by WhiteBird » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:47 am

an "inferior copy of the original" maybe??? lol
White Bird

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:06 pm

WhiteBird wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:47 am
an "inferior copy of the original" maybe??? lol
LOL, next they'll have a two-tone second print of the book in black and spine in grey.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Volunteer

Post by Dr. Raoul Duke » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:59 pm
Dr. Raoul Duke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm
$60??? I found these for very cheap. Most I spent was I think $12 for the pilot book

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... k&_sacat=0
Four books for $60, two of them being books that were only published in the UK and frequently go for $50+ apiece on eBay? Yeah, I'd call that a steal.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Spent $12 for the pilot and other 4 I got for under $8 bucks in total. Call the cops, I must have robbed a bookstore blind.

gryzor
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by gryzor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 pm

I managed to get #5 Mirror Image for £3.29 at Amazon UK marketplace in August, no such luck with #4 24 Carat Assassin though.
I have since scanned Mirror Image and turned it into an ePub and I have books 1-3 as ePubs that I downloaded a few years ago.
Could someone please scan #4 24 Carat Assassin so that I could turn it into an ePub and then finally have the full set.