knight rider slammy sammy episode tv spot error

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

knight rider slammy sammy episode tv spot error

Post by james olden » Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 pm

i was just browsing on youtube while i was browsing i was checking the knight rider tv spot commericals that i remember seeing on tv when i was a kid and i came across slammy sammy stunt show spectacular tv spot and i saw a mistake that kitts voice modulator is not the same one from the episode its the 3 line voice modulator that was featured on later episodes you can see it here
https://youtu.be/hxjmAnPqD40
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: knight rider slammy sammy episode tv spot error

Post by jup » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:24 pm

It's really quite fun to find all these little odd flaws in the show. I know that editing together a show this complex, must have proved to be a challenge just a little over their heads. But, they really needed to add just a few more notes to SFX clips like what season each dash came out of.

Then again, one of my favorite goofs was a totally un-necessary shot from, I believe season 4. KITT does a drive by. However, the paint job is so reflective, it breaks the fourth wall and reveals the film crew, the camera and even those fancy Hollywood camera mounts. So, maybe happy little accidents was more of an inside running joke. That's something that only the show's crew can truly verify.

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am

jup wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:24 pm
..the paint job is so reflective, it breaks the fourth wall and reveals the film crew..
Yeah jup, if you start looking at reflection you'll see this happens more frequently than you think, i started to notice this with the dvds. Camera shadows show up once in a while aswell, one that is quite easy to remember is in the Junkyard Dog episode, when they do the closeups from KITT's tires testing Turbo Boost approaching the fences when he's recovering.

Yeah, it was made for tv, where you couldn't catch these details ahah.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:41 am

That's a very good point. I never replayed the show so many times to ponder all the hidden images being reflected. Even those times when "Thing" made a quick appearance to open/close the driver's side door had escaped my notice. I had only reached the awareness as to scenes when KITT had to make a quick stop and they zoomed in, revealing that the car really wasn't going to actually stop on a dime. Then, this jerking force does the trick. (Must have been some kind of cable attached to the bumper.) Or when the voice modulator can't make up it's mind on being a solid block or three bars OR having an identification tag on it. Or when a number of the Turbo Boost scenes hid the jump ramps behind a bush or some other obstacle. Or when that one wall that had to be crashed through had an outline that a blind man could see. I even noticed the times when Kitt pulled up data, but the stage hand in charge of the CG in BASIC used the LIST command over the RUN, blowing the simple illusion of the day one programmer's efforts.

This show simply never was built for a home replay environment, complete with pause, rewind and high resolution televisions.

But was that one scene with the mirror polish paint insanely reflective. Nothing in the scene to distract at all, either. (This one is nowhere near as obvious. Got to look hard. But...I can't find a photo of the drive by scene. This will have to do. http://knightriderhistorians.blogspot.c ... e-tab.html )

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Still makes more sense than Michael changing clothes mid-chase, or a finger pressing Turbo Boost in a empty KITT!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Michael can change clothes via the same technology that allows Kitt to bank recorded video off of thin air, of course. It's called Smoke 'n *cough, cough...agic* Mode. And we already know that Thing from The Addams Family is a regular co-pilot. ;P

But, hey...I also try to explain why in a Superman game, the traffic lights are facing a non-existent street, are turned upside down and a two lane one way runs right into a solid building.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:58 pm

I wonder if they had any idea that Knight Rider will be a cult classic TV-show which fans will talk about and analyze to the last detail even 35 years later, would they done things differently and perhaps put better attention to details, continuity, etc. ? :)

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm

I believe the answer to that one is rather simple. Making a show of this complexity on a television budget and on a time constraint probably couldn't give them the luxury of reshooting a scene when someone changed wardrobe or when that mysterious hand appeared or when the camera caught something it shouldn't have. To correct such errors in editing, back then, was already too late. Today, editing has CG that could change the color of Michael's shirt or remove reflective images from the paint and do other such detailing. Besides, a percent of the errors made...occurred while in editing. So...the march of the clock and limited multi-use scenes was felt, even there.

There's also that pesky detail that we, the fans, can watch an episode a hundred times over to pick it part. Even if they had more time to fine tune everything...there were things that were going to slip by...as they probably wouldn't have been able to view the episode in it's entirety even a dozen times.