confusing moment Knight of the Phoenix

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

confusing moment Knight of the Phoenix

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:56 pm

I just got the blu ray collection for the secret santa amazon giftcard I got for the holidays. I popped in the pilot and something never made sense was wondering if anyone here could clear it up. Why would the head of Comtron's security, an electronics company, get a court ordered release for Michael Knight's release into their custody and why would it be valid to a sherrif to release him to comtron's head of security. Shouldn't he be sitting in stir until his day in court for the rough-housing he did back in the bar Rising Sun? He was fighting in self defense.

Another question is why would they be able to force the police to let Comtron borrow the car? personal property of the criminal in custody. How do they have the entire town in their pockets including law enforcement?

Why would comtron security vehicles be allowed to drive around with lights and sirens like they were the actual police?

Why would the guards be allowed to carry loaded weapons. They can secure property but lethal force shouldn't be legally allowed.
Last edited by Knight Racer on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: confusing moment Knight of the Phoenix

Post by KITTfan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:02 am

When Michael called Devon, didn't he mention that forget the local police, they've been bought or something to that effect? (haven't watched the Pilot for a while).
Isn't that what Knight Rider is about, fighting against the criminals who operate above the law ;) Surely nothing makes sense if criminals are running the system instead of honest authorities.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 am

But how would a small group of criminals be able to buy the local police? If I had a friend who was sleeping with the CEO of an electronics company it wouldn't give me any leverage with the local police department to control anything in that town. Maybe because it's such a small town they could bribe the police but it would have to take some hefty brices to get the police and the entire judicial system there.

David
Rookie

Post by David » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 am

Here's my take:

The writing of the pilot sets up the "in a world of criminals who operate above the law" premise of the whole series, and uses dramatic license re actual legalities to do it.

The 'court ordered release' is a fake-out. The crims just need to get rid of Michael before blowing town, and they know they can use Comtron's 'clout' as the town's major employer to throw their weight around with the local law.

It's implied that they have been 'working' Comtron for many months in order to secure their position - which, admittedly, is possibly shonky writing given the apparently short period of time that seems to elapse onscreen between them killing off Michael Long at the conclusion of their previous job and MK's arrival in Silicon Valley.