Changing battery in ERTL 1:18 Die Cast KITT

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nickeeg
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Changing battery in ERTL 1:18 Die Cast KITT

Post by nickeeg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:17 am

Hi all

A bit of a random question, but I got around to finally having somewhere to display my 1:18 car collection.
Needless to say the pride and joy of the collection is KITT!
However, I noticed that the LED scanner no longer works.
I would like to change or remove the battery (to avoid corrosion damage), and remember seeing a YouTube video a while back which showed how to do this. Now I need it I can't find it!
Does anyone know where the video is, or alternatively can advise on the best way to do it?

Thanks!
Nick

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Changing battery in ERTL 1:18 Die Cast KITT

Post by KITTfan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Didn't find quickly any battery replacement videos either for you but it should be easy enough to do even without guidance video. Have replaced batteries myself at least twice for my ERTL KITT model and once for KARR. For Hotwheels models haven't replaced them yet at all, might have to check them sometime soon what condition they are now after few years of ownership.

Here's some instructions on top of my head, it's been few years since I last time replaced them so hopefully I'll remember all steps :P

First remove the model from it's base or plinth.
Next remove the T-tops or make sure they stay closed as you have to turn the model upside down. Put some soft cloth under so the paint stays without scratches.
The battery compartment is at the back in the floorboard. Open two screws, if memory serves they were small crossheads. There's also some plastic clip holding the battery cover at the left side when looked from behind and the model is upside down so maybe carefully lifting the cover from right side first and pulling it then towards right should get it out the easiest way.
After you get the plastic cover out, then you should see this:

There's 4 small button LR44 cell batteries and they can be a bit tight in their place. Also the metal contact under the battery works as a spring so if the battery gets loose, it can fly a bit so be careful.

nickeeg
Volunteer

Post by nickeeg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 pm

That's awesome thanks so much :)
I didn't realise it was as easy as that.
I've got the batteries out now - just need to pop to the local store tomorrow and pick up some replacements.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Or go to e-bay. With these button batteries, I never go to a brick and mortar store, anymore. (Unless having them today is necessary.)

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Addition to the instructions I posted above, ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when handling button cell batteries, or maybe even all batteries, especially if they look even slightly dodgy.

Noticed today that my Hotwheels KARR scannerlight didn't work at all so opened the battery compartment and this is what I found:

These are not the original batteries, replaced them in October 2014 with NL brand batteries and they've been installed in the model until today. Notice how the left one is slightly open and leaked a bit. Immediatly I putted safety glasses on and it was good thing as when I removed the center button cell battery, moments later the left one exploded!

Remember, always wear safety glasses when handling batteries :)