The actual trans ams used for filming knight rider TOS

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The actual trans ams used for filming knight rider TOS

Post by james olden » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I just found out that they found one of the actual mustangs filmed for the movie bullitt. Is there or is it possible that any 82 trans ams kitts used for production for kr can be found ?
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: The actual trans ams used for filming knight rider TOS

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:56 pm

james olden wrote:I just found out that they found one of the actual mustangs filmed for the movie bullitt. Is there or is it possible that any 82 trans ams kitts used for production for kr can be found ?
Most of them have been destroyed because of a contract with Pontiac, IIRC Michael/David has a T-A formerly used in the series at his disposal.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 pm

WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:
james olden wrote:I just found out that they found one of the actual mustangs filmed for the movie bullitt. Is there or is it possible that any 82 trans ams kitts used for production for kr can be found ?
Most of them have been destroyed because of a contract with Pontiac, IIRC Michael/David has a T-A formerly used in the series at his disposal.
So it is possible (lost shot question) that we might find some actual kitts used in the show at a local junkyard one day ??
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Assasinge » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:07 pm

james olden wrote:
WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:
So it is possible (lost shot question) that we might find some actual kitts used in the show at a local junkyard one day ??
This was from 2015: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/kitt ... r-auction/

So they do exist...

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:35 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that 5 original KITTs survived. The hero car for season 1/2, the hero car for season 3/4, the convertible, and a couple of stunt cars. There was a get together a few months ago that brought 3 of the cars together. I think the convertible is in a Florida museum. I have seen pictures of several crushed stunt cars and both Super Pursuit Mode cars were crushed.
Although a few cars still exist, I don't think any have their original KITT dashes or consoles. Check out the Knight Rider Historians website for info on the surviving cars and they have some original parts from the cars as well.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:29 am

WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:

What I recall David had his own personal replica KITT car for awhile (A replica, NOT screen used) that was auctioned off few years ago. And I read someone in Europe had been storing one of David's '80's singing concert tour cars. And it was recently brought out of storage and refinished.
I think its the car he drove in the Gumball 3000 race several years ago, Not sure ???

Regardless of him having a personal KITT or not is irrelevant !! In the recent Motor Trend interview with David, He mentioned candidly that with one phone call he can have several KITT's show up :lol:

But with his TRUE love of Knight Rider, I wouldn't be surprised if David were to obtain/build another KITT replica in the future :good:

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

RafaelLOJ
Operative

Post by RafaelLOJ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm

As for that "digital trends" link Trans am...

Not correct nose...
Missing door moldings...
Wrong windshield...
Wrong interior color...
Replica Dash...

That is a replica...

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:59 pm

jeremy223 wrote:I thought it was common knowledge that 5 original KITTs survived. The hero car for season 1/2, the hero car for season 3/4, the convertible, and a couple of stunt cars. There was a get together a few months ago that brought 3 of the cars together. I think the convertible is in a Florida museum. I have seen pictures of several crushed stunt cars and both Super Pursuit Mode cars were crushed.
Although a few cars still exist, I don't think any have their original KITT dashes or consoles. Check out the Knight Rider Historians website for info on the surviving cars and they have some original parts from the cars as well.
Back in the 80's it was hard to accept that Knight Rider ended and if I saw this photo back then, it could've probably been too much. Poor KITT's got crushed so brutally. Glad to know some survived after all :)

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Here is another picture of the KITT's being crushed.

The 2 pictures show at least 4 KITTs were crushed. 2 Super Pursuit cars and 2 stunt cars.