Another glimpse into the reality side of AI and machines.

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Another glimpse into the reality side of AI and machines.

Post by jup » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 pm

It's amazing what robotics are doing, these days. And I could definitely see a reboot of Knight Rider being a kind of show case to introducing the world in general to the potential realities of such machines.

What a thought. In the 1980's, they were using real machines and Hollywood magic to make the show with. In 2008, they were placing it a whole lot into the CG realm. And in 20??, they could be making the show with real machines and Hollywood magic, once more. After all, don't tell me that Michel Knight can't use a robotic partner while out on the field. Kitt was, in all regards, the comfortable battle tank. However, when Michel wasn't in the pilot's seat, his vulnerability was often quite obvious.

EDIT:

And then, there is the mind side to think about, as well...

Apart of this video states a machine watching a Human stack blocks and then learning to repeat. And how the learning process is less about inputting data in the traditional sense and just letting the AI figure out things...which it's doing exceptionally well.

Which really does pose some interesting questions. A couple off the top of my head would be...

If these two fields were to merge tomorrow and start producing mass manufactured robots for the general populous next month, 1) what kind of artificial intelligence would they be releasing upon the face of the Earth? (I suppose culture sci-fi references like Kitt/Lt. Commander Data for good, Karr/Lore for wild cards, Terminators for potential evil, Hal 9000's for stiff rule executioners, Matrix style AI's for reinventing the role of life in general or even something else would work here.) 2) Is it even right to consider this new kind of life form to be forced to work for Humanity in the first place? 3) Would Humanity be ready for the sudden flood of such machines in existence? (Personally, I can see employers falling in love with these new Humanoid machines for being efficient at introducing into the already established work environment while being regarded as property without needing a paycheck. Plus the capacity to operate potentially closer to 24/7 with only the occasional recharge break. Which threatens my job while the world still clings to it's old world style of dependency on currency. If too many employers trade Human labor and paychecks for more efficient machines, then economics will absolutely have to modernize, as well. Before most can no longer afford housing & food.) 4) What kind of world will it become, after this new revolution occurs?

Han
Rookie

Re: Another glimpse into the reality side of AI and machines.

Post by Han » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:00 pm

The way it maps terrain is very interesting, because it can see from any point of view in it's virtual world which is created by real world's image. KITT sometimes had access to buildings blueprints, sometimes a "flying camera" that let him see things from different angles "anywhere", pretty cool.. they make so much progress each new robot they make, and fast.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Indeed fascinating what they have accomplished in robotics these days. Hopefully future AI's wont see those videos where the scientists are pushing and kicking robots down in testing purposes :lol: They can take it but if robots would revenge that treatment and push or kick people with their powers, they could cause major damage or even kill us :shock:

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:00 pm

One of the problems I can see with AI's judging us would probably come from something even deeper then watching their ancestors getting kicked around by a few primitive Humans in those videos. I do fear that it's just too Human to assign ranks to those around us.

Sci-Fi tends to hint that the best AI's are usually treated like equals (Let's see. Kitt, for sure. Star Trek's Data. Futurama's Bender. Even those Terminator models that get their learning chips turned back on.) and that the more threatening ones tend to have ulterior motives, see Humanity as a danger or are treated as lesser class servants.

Which makes me ponder if any of these current, real world AI's have even a hint of Issac Asimov's Laws of Robotics included in their core source code. Or, if that would even do any good, presuming these AI's can't just rewrite their whole OS without anyone knowing.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:41 pm

This might be of special interest to you guys then: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/elon-mu ... korea.html

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I would highly agree that AI needs to be tiptoed into. Many safety factors must be endlessly applied. No company involved in this should just rush out a product over matters of making money or thinking of greed. There is as much fantastic promise in AI as there are dangers. And probably the number one thing to any AI, IMHO, is denying it access to anything and everything internet. Isolation not only keeps it safe from the dangers of the world at general or learning who-knows-what at too early of a stage, but also keeping the AI from just escaping out into this vast digital realm where it could manifest into something bigger without monitoring.

When it comes to a thinking mind inside of the machine, every Human is at a disadvantage. We're the outsiders, peering in through monitors. Like visitors to a foreign nation. We may simply not know all the in's and out's that this realm exists. One that is inherently native to an AI.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Thinking about AI in theory brings good things like KITT in mind but when it's becoming more real, it's KARR that begins to fill the mind.
This human looking robot says she want's to destroy humans. Not sure if "she" has been programmed to say that or was it the AI itself that created that thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_DPi0PmF0

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Not just KARR, but a movie like the Matrix keeps coming back to me.

Actually maybe I should have said the Animatrix but, whatever.

Fitch001
Stranger

Post by Fitch001 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 am

This dog robot is so interesting.Hope the future robots can be more smart and useful to our life.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:21 pm

To be honest, 'she' was guided into saying that, KITTfan. Sounded like some kind of 'trick' into making you think the AI mildly understands what it is saying. When it's a combination of 'tricks' and 'parroting'.

KARR does make a great example towards things to think about with the coming of AI's. After all, Karr's disposition partially came from betrayal by Humans to begin with. He still served those whom freed him. Perhaps, to a degree akin to blackmail. But his emotions were driven by personal needs and kept proving the absolute need for internal governing rules. Something that Bonnie introduced into Kitt.

In fact, had I ever gotten around to writing that one fan fiction that crossed over KR with Sliders, I would have had Michael and Kitt enter an alternate universe where Wilton had successfully fought off the outside forces from shutting Karr down. And, in turn, Karr's rogue like AI turned so thankful, he went in an unexpected direction and absorbed everything known about medicine to become the greatest doctor ever in order to find a cure to Wilton's lethal condition. However, I still feel that Karr would take another worldly Kitt as being an inferior production line model. Maybe he would have accepted it to that degree and even been helpful, knowing he was king of his world's Foundation team. Of course, Kitt's discipline might have started giving ideas to that world's team and wound up threatening Karr. But, who knows. Never truly explored that reality.