KITT coin-op for sale

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

a71678
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KITT coin-op for sale

Post by a71678 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi, all! I was at just the right age to enjoy the original "Knight Rider" when it came out in the '80s. In fact, I even had the opportunity to sit in "KITT" at Universal Studios when I was 12 years old (quotation marks because at the time I assumed there was only one and that was the one... though I'm not sure why I thought that since my next-door neighbor's grandson drove a General Lee (really!) that I knew wasn't the one on TV).

A decade ago, following a story in the local paper about how an increase in crime had deterred many parents from letting their kids go trick-or-treating that year, through the local Jaycees chapter, I started a free Halloween block party for kids from neighborhoods where knocking on strangers' doors probably wasn't such a good idea. Flash forward 10 years, and we serve over 700 kids each October 31.

About five years ago, I was looking for a coin-operated ride that we could use for the event (with the coin provided -- we kept the change box unlocked and used the same quarter over and over again!), and the one I ended up with was KITT, the 1980s coin-op from Carousel Industries! It was cool to me and a lot of our volunteers "of a certain age," but "just another car" to most the kids who enjoyed it.

A couple years ago, between dwindling use of the ride and the need for more space for new things, we decided to stop using KITT. This year, we're putting it up for sale, with the proceeds going right back into the event. I thought members of this forum might be interested: https://easternshore.craigslist.org/for/6243169996.html

Thanks for your help in keeping such an awesome TV show alive! Long live the '80s!