Knight Of The Juggernaut

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Of The Juggernaut

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm

I've decided to watch the season 4 premiere 2 part episode and noticed a few things on this being my 15th or 20th viewing of this episode over the years. When Michael and Kitt are facing off against the Juggernaut the second time, Michael lured the Juggernaut driver to an oil truck marked flammable. Wouldn't Kitt's prime directive of preservation of human life have kicked in with a manual override to stop turbo boost function and think up some way such as micro locking his brakes/door locks and not killing the driver?

Right after they burned him to a crisp, they act as if it was totally alright to kill that guy.

Dr. Quinlin was said to be in the plane on the runway at the end of the episode. It had Nordstrom, the evil scientist girlfriend, The fake Devon Miles, and the pilot. He wasn't in the episode at all just spoken of.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Of The Juggernaut

Post by Assasinge » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Maybe that's why the producers of KR08 thought it was fine to let Mike go around shooting people in the episode where Graiman dies and they're trying to prevent a nuclear explosion from that fat lunatic? Lol

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:35 am

Maybe not.

Case in point. One Tanya Walker from Knight of the Phoenix. Close to the end of the episode, Tanya approaches Michael with a gun while he sits inside K.I.T.T. She makes her threat, raises the gun and fires. (A warning that the window is bullet proof is yelled out, seconds before.) In the same kind of logic used, Kitt should have scanned her weapon, predicted the potential hostility and actions used and simply tried to drive away to avoid her own actions from killing herself. Yet...

Now, in the show, the window was simply up. But, in the book, Kitt DOES take action. The window goes from fully open to closed at the speed of a guillotine. Which states that Kitt obeys his higher directive to protect his pilot over the live of another and their own actions.

It's been awhile since I've seen this episode. But, I suspect the same logic applies. The death of said driver occurred from his actions and not that of Kitt's. Because, it's not like Michael does a one-eighty and turbo boosts right through the cab of his opponent, making KITT into the instrument of death and destruction. And, by letting the driver kill himself by his own actions, Kitt is probably, once again, obeying his highest rule by protecting Michael, his pilot.

As for potential options that Kitt could have taken...I apply the same logic as used during that acid chemical pit that thoroughly destroys K.I.T.T. Kitt SHOULD HAVE been able to quick scan the environment and computed a way out via the grappling hook or turbo boost or something instead of just being scooped up, dumped in and begging Michael for help. It just goes to prove that Kitt isn't able to simulate all options available at any given minute. In other words, some Humans may actually be able to defeat Kitt at a game of chess.

wojteko65
Volunteer

Post by wojteko65 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:32 am

Unfortunately Knight Rider is only fictional. KITT couldn't perform scan before he was pushed into chemicals because it would ruin episode idea. I hate logical mistakes in movies but we didn't write scenario, only someone diffrent. In my opinion is impossible to avoid these things in every movie/tv show.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:43 am

And there yeah go. How to end arguments about KR logic on this forum: Just fiction bro, don't worry, the episode would be ruined without it!

XD

wojteko65
Volunteer

Post by wojteko65 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 am

XD

Now, I'll try to stop complain XD. Did you noticed in some episodes KITT was bit awkard? Theoretically KITT was very smart but sometimes he loses his smartness somewhere. KITT can talk like human, but he can't predict something etc. The most times, I felt that in 1st and 2nd season.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 am

Same could be said about those ridiculous camera angles he brought out of nowhere. What, did he spawn a camera inside the bad guy's house invisablly and now we can see everything? Lol

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Heh...those magic camera angles. That is one of the bigger sins of entertainment, right there. One that Knight Rider has so casually used, too often. Like in an early episode. Kitt was apart of some driving sequence and was capturing a lot of things. Later on, Michael reviews the video. Realistically, that video could only come from Kitt's bumper. But...oh, no. It's got half a dozen shots, including the tilted view through a side car window that gives Michael the face image of the person he needed to ID. I so want to say that KR invented the flying drones to capture and explain such a shot...and never told us about it. But, I can't. They gone and invented the flying drone a few seasons later and screamed about it being a special episode guest star. That leaves me with...erm...special camera equipment that can turn heated air into a picture perfect mirror to capture video images off of. Don't hold your breath on that one ever becoming a thing.

Or, even worse, another episode has this evil corporation/association deal that is interested in K.I.T.T. So much so, they got a VHS tape full of action scenes. Realistically, this corporation would have had to set up, behind the scenes at that, every crime related condition and pre-figured out just where turbo boosts and other stunts would have been occurring at. You really got to turn the ole brain off and just enjoy the show to accept that one. Today, this magic trick is easy to pull off. Everyone has video equipped phones and the internet to post said videos to. Back then, surveillance cameras weren't even the norm. And hacking into the CIA was as easy as going to an Apple IIe, typing in "Dial CIA", then giving it 'Let me in' as the password. (Erg...I'm mixing up my eras. In the 80s, any modem equipped computer just had to dial the CIA. No password needed. You just had to be computer smart to be authorized. Or creating a computer AI was as easy as spilling water onto the circuit board and all over the keyboard. (Or hoping for lightning.) Today, that's known as the Amish Virus.)

At least, seeing through walls, doors, metal boxes, mountains and such was super lightly explained. X-Rays. Or, when that failed from lead lined doors made by the military...infrared. Well...that's one point higher then saying 'magic', at least. (Or we could e-mail Geordi La Forge to Trek Talk/Techno babble us all to death. Voyager tells us that all post 90's Human made computers basically operate on Windows, anyhow.)

As for what wojteko65 is talking about, I have heard of that being called The Superman Effect. It's a case where your character is so overpowered, most plots don't work unless you knowingly hinder (or simply ignore) certain features that could totally ruin the intended plot.

-HOWEVER-

...we're not completely forced to surrender the notion of that acid pit scene to a writer's forced plot point. I call forth a clue given by Karr. When Tony and The Rev were having a fight and then Tony knocks out The Rev, another situation comes forth. Tony demands why Karr didn't notice. Karr replies "Because I was busy watching you deactivate The Rev." (Or something like that.) And that can tell us that even Kitt can not see everything. The situation was intense during the pit. Kitt was most likely concentrating on actions that Michael was doing with 100% of his sensors. Thus, not detecting the approach of this gigantic land mover. And, the following seconds may have been too few for Kitt to make a strategic move in. Forced plot isn't completely off the hook. But, I can at least state that computers from any era have never been the speediest things in existence. Heck...even my powerful, several year out of date computer takes it's time to do many things.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Maybe those camera angles were from S.I.D. perhaps it was created before it was shown to the viewers. Kind of like todays drones with videocameras :)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:27 am

Speaking of camera angles, the Knight Foundation had some very good shots of kitt in action similar to the group in Chariots of Gold season 2. I think both organizations were hiring agents to track and monitor kitt for those video tapes. I loved how in the following episode after juggernaut, Michael tries to get kitt to scan the apartment his lady of the week in kittnap. Kitt says he's too far out of range. Michael says to use his comn link and then kitt scans a palm print on the wall.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:19 am

giphy.gif