Small Pursuit Mode question

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Small Pursuit Mode question

Postby WittgenTT5/Rstein » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Does it also boost (ha!) KITT's acceleration?
Hello there! I'm Rstein, the Page Industries TLW-728R. No, I am not the car from Ingot Rider.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: Small Pursuit Mode question

Postby Assasinge » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:00 am

I thought that's what it did?
"The only difference between past, and present..." "...is semantics. Lives, lived, will live. Dies, died, will die."

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Postby WittgenTT5/Rstein » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 am

Assasinge wrote:I thought that's what it did?

I thought it only increased KITT's top speed, or am I confusing it with SPM?
Hello there! I'm Rstein, the Page Industries TLW-728R. No, I am not the car from Ingot Rider.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Postby Assasinge » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Uh...I'm pretty sure it increased his top speed? Also increasinf his top speed too?
"The only difference between past, and present..." "...is semantics. Lives, lived, will live. Dies, died, will die."

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Postby Knight Racer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:37 pm

What I never got about Super Pursuit Mode was how could a human being keep up with anything on a road other than a deserted highway stretch with SPM. Did Kitt's systems have to assist Michael's driving? imagine going into a turn at 150 mph.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Postby Assasinge » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Knight Racer wrote:What I never got about Super Pursuit Mode was how could a human being keep up with anything on a road other than a deserted highway stretch with SPM. Did Kitt's systems have to assist Michael's driving? imagine going into a turn at 150 mph.

There's that factor of something that can't happen in real life, but can happen in a tv show!

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Postby WittgenTT5/Rstein » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Knight Racer wrote:What I never got about Super Pursuit Mode was how could a human being keep up with anything on a road other than a deserted highway stretch with SPM. Did Kitt's systems have to assist Michael's driving? imagine going into a turn at 150 mph.
Apparently yes, if I gotta believe the Wikipedia and KR Wikia page about KITT.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Postby KFCreator » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm pretty certain that Pursuit just allowed KITT to have a higher top speed. As for SPM and the G forces Michael or any other occupant would have to endure going through turns rapidly, I think that's partially what the Passive Laser Restraint System was for, and I'm sure there was other unmentioned technology built in to KITT that would have helped compensate for those stresses (probably akin to Star Trek's inertial dampeners). Same thing for the EBS system (can you imagine suddenly decelerating from near 300 MPH to zero in a split second?), there would have had to be systems built in to deal with that.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Postby jup » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Here's what I thought the Pursuit Mode always did...

1) Redirect turbine thrust towards the rear jets, pushing the car along the road in much the same way a jet would propel the plane down the runway.
2) Apply extra power towards the engine's ability to drive the wheels.
3) Set safety functions to 100%, making the extra speed 'safer'.

If they can have Laser Restraints to fill in for seat belts, I'm sure they can have non-disclosed G factor inhibitors that ease sharp turning forces. If we really want to get fancy and free with the notions, that Jacket that Michael often wears is actually a G force reducing article of clothing. (Total theory, BTW.)

Of course, wouldn't it have been hilarious if the gag feature of Automan had been ported over. I'm referring to the 'face plants into car window' bit on every super G inducing turn.

Return to “General Discussion”