"Eerie tech promises to copy anyone’s voice from just 1 minute of audio"

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

"Eerie tech promises to copy anyone’s voice from just 1 minute of audio"

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 pm

I think I just lost it: https://archive.is/9uNrP

Imagine this with William Daniels' his voice, KITT conversions will never be the same again!

Now, if only AI was developed much faster..
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: "Eerie tech promises to copy anyone’s voice from just 1 minute of audio"

Post by Assasinge » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Huh. Not so fast on the fast AI. I don't want robots to turn on us one day eventually and we end up in a situation similar to the Matrix. We need to control the AI and keep it in check so at one point, we don't have robots turning on us and we become their slaves, or something worse, who knows? Hell, even KARR is a good example of this! Then Jup did make this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19863

In regards to the article you linked, cool! It only needs 1 minute of audio vs. Adobe's program which needs 20 apparently. I don't think we remember KITT having a 20 minute monologue in the show now, do we? Unless we stringed together every one of his vouce lines, I suppose. But still, cool!

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm

The simple problem is that once computers start to (quote on quote) "think", they are already better suited in speaking their own language then even the best Human. They'll figure out anything in their native realm at a faction of the time. Real world examples so far would be found with the games they've been tasked at beating. Like Chess. In day one, the Chess learning computer made the most basic of mistakes. Given enough time, it was coming up with strategies that generations of Human players never did.

Apply that to other tasks. Oh...like smashing through firewalls and other Human security concepts for a digital environment. Any "thinking" computer that needs access to something behind a password lock is, at best, going to be slowed down by one.

Simply put, if Humanity doesn't want a kind of Skynet situation to happen, we've got to be prepared to fight fire with fire. In a new age of AI offense vs defense, we need AI's to like us and fight for us. We're going to need AI designed firewalls and other security measures. That's the (quote on quote) "Wargames" future that we're going to rely upon.

A truly "thinking" computer is going to be just as efficient at "thinking" as it is at "computing". Most Humans are only so-so at computing. So...where will that put us on the thinking bit in a few years?

Like I said a few times, most things that Humans need out of computers has no need for AI's in the slightest. Although, a bulletproof anti-virus would be the exception.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:36 pm

I do agree with the last statement. And while several propose that self driving cars is an amazing thing (we've all seen at least one or two Tesla footages on youtube, no?) a few of us, including me, also argue the loss of jobs. Sure, it's great that AI is taking over jobs that humans can't normally do in this day and age, mostly jobs that have dangerous factors invovled in them, we can't let them take over everything. Right now, we don't need to really fight "fire with fire" YET, but we need to keep this sort of stuff in check. Got a job driving a truck to and fro cities to deliver goods? Nah, Bob the truck will do that for you. Go find another job. In probably a decade or so, people will get up and search for jobs, only to find out they've been taken over by Jim the Tomato Picking Robot or Gary the Car Assembler and Friends. Anyway, point is, we shouldn't let AI control everything, or take everythinf over, not for a while at least. Obviously jobs that is out of reach for a normal human is understandable but right now, if unemployment hasn't been crappy, it'll only get worse. That and then soon enough AI will reach a point where it can actually "think" like KITT and KARR and if that happens to every robot/AI we've set up in the world in [insert years here] well.......bye folks. It ain't long till cyberbullying becomes physical, let's just say.

Say, do we get paid for fixing a robot that was broken down and riding him like a horse afterwards in the near future?

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:33 am

There is a natural progression of letting AI's take over the job market. It's a very slippery slope, indeed. They can work longer, harder, smarter...and cost far less for doing so.

History already shows us that upper management loves getting the most bang for their buck. If that wasn't true, America would still have a ton of manufacturing going on in it. Instead, we've got a few stragglers that are hanging on to an outdated concept. While cheaper labor in other nations are getting verbally whipped to output as much product as possible. While it's a grand notion that there will be smart people that understand the concept of employment creating the economics that keep everything afloat, it isn't too hard to understand that noble Employer A will have an all Human work force. They will make and/or sell at a decent price. While Employers B & C swoop in with an all robotic work force. The products they move will be at prices so low, we'll all be clueless as how they manage it.

History shows us the results. Employer A's merchandise costs a $1 (or a hundred dollars.) Employer B & C can offer the same products for 5 cents. (or ten dollars.) Just like how the mega shopping centers swooped in and made the Mom & Pop shops of yesterday into an endangered species, so shall the AI driven work force of tomorrow do to the overly priced Human work force. Why, even the lower paid workers in third world nations will seem expensive to a 24 working robot that works for electricity from a solar panel.

The smart and noble thing is to keep a Human work force going. The short sighted, greedy thing to do is to go for all the profit the 1% can today and not think about tomorrow in the least.

As for the public in general? They're mostly going to opt for the 5 cent version that is of equal quality to that overpriced $1 version, sold down the street. History tells us so.

The only way to avoid this slope is for all employers to, in advance, vow to never use an automation to replace another job. And that...is not going to happen.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a YouTube video on the newest kinds of trucks, planned for release to the industrial businesses. Guess which one out of that top ten list was the only one not listing an auto pilot as a part of the options? (And, I was kind of surprised at it.) Wal-Mart. Their fleet cab did look like something out of a science fiction film. And was definitely sporting a high tech approach. Which makes me think that it is merely an OS upgrade away. But, they weren't currently listing the AI driver. And that is a good thing.

Isn't it a bit shocking to think about? Even on this board, we went from thinking about the possibilities of cars (and trucks) that could drive themselves to the announcement of the Google self driving car. Then, in a staggering short amount of months later, all these announcements of self driving cars and trucks just start leaking out of the wood works. Making history for the soon-to-come walking, talking androids of former science fiction to follow suit with.

I'm convinced, Androids are only awaiting the right sales pitch at the right price. That...and for them to get out of the prototype stage. It's no longer a dream. No longer an Issac Asimov story. It's now just a matter of when.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:41 am

Personally, I am actually scared about the day that such a deal is struck.