Mio KR GPS Map File Hunt

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Surethingpal
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Mio KR GPS Map File Hunt

Post by Surethingpal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 pm

My Mio Knight Rider GPS had been working flawlessly since December 2008. Last summer one of the map files became corrupt and the unit wouldn't boot or even connect to my computer for troubleshooting. Last night I was finally able to get it to connect properly and had to remove the corrupted map file. Now, the GPS works properly - just not in the state I live in. The backup files I had saved in 2009 were on an old laptop I no longer have.

I spoke to Mio (now Magellan) tech support but they advised that they no longer have those files available. Aside from offering a discount on a new product, their only suggestion was that I track down a copy of the file. I've searched the depths of the internet and come up empty handed. I've searched Amazon and eBay to buy another unit to recover the file that way, but it seems that well has run dry also. I know how old and wildly obsolete the GPS is, but it was a gift and holds sentimental value.

Can anyone here recommend anything for me to try or any place to look for "US96R083.MAP" file? Or if anyone still has their KR GPS and would be willing to help I'd be grateful.

And I apologize for this type of first post. I know I'm not a part of the community, and shouldn't be asking favors. If this gets brushed aside, I'll understand.

You have a cool forum here.

Thank you

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Mio KR GPS Map File Hunt

Post by jup » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:23 am

Try privately messaging Neps for help on this. Fingers crossed, maybe he still has his unit and even that file. Though, I'm not sure how long it may take for a response. He's rather busy, these days. Good luck.

Oh...and I just tried e-bay. Search words "Knight Rider GPS". There is ONE listing in there for a bargain of a price at $16 with free shipping. It's even pictured coming with the box. So...maybe that can do???

EDIT: Ummmm...wait a minute. Seems that listing is just FOR THE BOX. For the empty box. So sorry about that. Guess I missed the title bit about it being for just the box.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 am

But, there is a fascinating listing for some kind of play set mock up of KITT's dash board. Way overpriced. Then again, it is coming with the original box and is probably quite rare. And...is that a CB Radio hand set? Smokey and the Kitt Bandit???

Now I'm off track...

Surethingpal
Stranger

Post by Surethingpal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Thank you, Jup! I will give it a try. And I saw that empty box as well. I admit I was tempted by the Kitt car keychain...