1983 Cheerios Poster

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

1983 Cheerios Poster

Post by BrowncoatKal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi there. Been quite q while since I've posted here and I thought it was time to return. Anyone remember the poster that came in boxes of Cheerios back in 1983? I've searched all over the web to try and find an image of it but have not been able to come up with anything. I did a search for Cheerios in these forums and came up empty as well.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: 1983 Cheerios Poster

Post by jup » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:09 am

A poster that came in a cereal box??? That's going to be harder to find then a traffic sign that could be ordered from a can of Pringles. My immediate leap of suspicion is that the materials wouldn't have been top notch. Plus the likelihood that anyone whom ever had one of those had probably posted to a wall...where it most likely would have faded over time and probably been tossed out for one reason or another. Or, if there even is a chance that a few got put away into dark, dry, attic storage...next to nobody's going to even be looking for it or even if they did find it, never try to e-bay it.

But...don't let the odds stand in your way. Always be checking up on e-bay and Craigs List and such. Someone...somewhere...may actually see value and try to list one. Now if it was a poster from the 80's about a block buster movie or a well known band or even a TV show that has lasted the ages, I'd have hope. But a cereal box poster? Planets are going to have to align for that one, I suspect.

As a matter of fact, old things can pop up out of nowhere. So never lose hope. After all, a few months ago, I saw a really rare video game pop up in a local store. Turbo for the Intellivision. CiB!!! (Was it factory sealed, too? I'm think I remember it not being.) Super minor wear and tear. CiB for this game was almost unheard of, when I checked around. It just came out of some granny's attic after being stored away for over 25 years! If that thing can surface, so can your poster. It's just an Earth wide Easter Egg hunt.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:40 am

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/ucp/168_4578_ucp.jpg

Found it. It wasn't cheerios but another cereal. Don't beat yourself up about being the wrong cereal. I still remember the video of a chocolate man walking through the street being eaten up to the song sweet touch of love as a Hershey commercial instead of axe chocolate body spray.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Wow, nice find, Knight Racer! I don't remember this but then again, my parents rarely let me and my sister eat sugared cereals when we were kids. I would have died for this box though!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer

Post by BrowncoatKal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:34 pm

I'm not beating myself up about it being the wrong cereal because I have the poster and it came from a box of Cheerios. :) I was initially just doing the web search to see if anyone else had the same poster. Apparently it's nowhere to be found on Google. So for you fellow Knight Rider fans I present the Knight Rider poster that came in Cheerios boxes back in 1983:

And the poster after I ran it through Photoshop:

Enjoy!

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer

Post by BrowncoatKal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Although, being that Golden Grahams, like Cheerios is a General Mills cereal (and it appears General Mills had a Knight Rider promotion going on), it is possible that the poster was available in various General Mills cereal products. I just know mine came from a box of Cheerios.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:28 am

That is just downright incredible. Do they even make posters like that, anymore? Very nice find and (as I already noted at) probably the last of it's kind. Although, who knows. Maybe, some day, I'll be walking through some antique mall and see one posted behind glass and frame. A billion times more likely to find the lunch box and thermos at such a place, though.

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer

Post by BrowncoatKal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:31 am

I have the lunchbox and thermos too.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:54 am

Really awesome poster! Thanks for sharing it :)

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:50 pm

I love this place. "Hi, I'm looking for a poster from 1983 that I can't find anywhere that came from a box of cereal. Anyone seen it?"
BAM.

Is it just me, or do they have KARR in the upper-left corner (yellow scanner) and KITT at the center and bottom?
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Um, doesn't the poster look like it's for Season1 though? KARR looks like he's in there but it's odd considering its KITT from season 1, I believe.

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer

Post by BrowncoatKal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 pm

No that's definitely K.I.T.T. in the upper left. K.A.R.R. didn't have a yellow scanner until the K.I.T.T. vs K.A.R.R. episode. That upper corner image seems like its just a little KR advert for the show. I think the bright red background makes it look more yellowish.

BrowncoatKal
Volunteer

Post by BrowncoatKal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 pm

On a related note, I sent an email to General Mills asking them if they could tell me anything about the artist if they still had anything about a 34 year old promotion. Wasn't sure if he/she was an ad agency employee contracted to do up some promo artwork for a cereal box giveaway, or if NBC supplied the image. Here is their reply from a Consumer Relations Representative:

"Thank you for contacting Cheerios.

Our commercials and print ads are created, cast and produced by outside advertising agencies. Our company does not maintain detailed information regarding advertising, including such things as jingles, talent or props. We would like to honor each of the many requests we receive, but this would be impossible.

We appreciate your inquiry and are sorry we are unable to assist you in this instance."

Nice that they responded, and so quickly too. I got this response today and had only written them a message through their website last night.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:39 am

Wouldn't make any sense for that to be KARR, anyhow. This is a poster for the show and that is like an artist's conception for the logo. After all, KARR was written to be a one time villain. The episode tried to write off Karr and the book definitely scrapped Karr. It was only later that having an evil twin came off as a fan favorite.

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:36 pm

BrowncoatKal wrote:I'm not beating myself up about it being the wrong cereal because I have the poster and it came from a box of Cheerios. :) I was initially just doing the web search to see if anyone else had the same poster. Apparently it's nowhere to be found on Google. So for you fellow Knight Rider fans I present the Knight Rider poster that came in Cheerios boxes back in 1983:

And the poster after I ran it through Photoshop:

Enjoy!
Upscaled and cleaned up version because i'm generous:
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.