DVD Cuts/Music Changes

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

wazh
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

DVD Cuts/Music Changes

Post by wazh » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:07 am

Hey All,

I had a bit of a google around and couldn't find a consolidated answer to this.

I have yes and don't ask why a complete R1 set a Complete R4 set and mostly copies from TV1 in Australia.

I am "trying" to consolidate some of these sets and work out - pending future releases which spots and music I need to watch out for.

I understand White Line Warriors had the prince song removed. I can see as well from the R1 set that Knight Song and Scent of Roses are also missing their teasers. However I can see those do appear on the R4 set.

Are there any other spots I can check to see which region had the music changes etc. ?

Would like to ditch at least my TV1 copies but if it has the prince song intact I would be tempted to keep them.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: DVD Cuts/Music Changes

Post by jup » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:57 pm

There definitely is a lot of period music that has been swapped out for generic versions and even some of David's own music. After all, every episode liked to go with a Top 20 song of the month/year. And Universal just didn't see the point in investing into the rights for all those songs. So hang on to those original broadcasts. While it would be nice if I even had a clue as to what is left and what's been removed, I have no way of even starting in on such an inquiry.

There is a slight (and I do mean slight) chance that I still retain those old VHS recordings from when a local TV station was running the 42-45 minute spliced down versions. Most likely, if I even had those tapes before the move, they would have been thrown out. But, who knows. Had a complete set of fair to poor quality broadcast level episodes.But that could yield the results against the complete DVD set.

wazh
Volunteer

Post by wazh » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Strangely enough even until "reasonably" recently had my original recordings of the episodes on Beta Tape. However the sound and picture quality of the tape had degraded to a point that it was really annoying to watch.

Even to a point I want to check the off air copies I have as they were in the early 2000's and thus might have got hit with the music issues as well. So if its the case - probably little point in keeping those over the DVD copies.

I did have a thought as well with the R4 versions as we tend not to get the same music issues as R1. Mainly as the Quantum Leap DVD's for the most part had a lot more music intact.

Anyway just a thought.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 am

I wouldn't say a lot of music has been changed. Its mostly just Prince songs as far as I know. These are the episodes that were affected.

White Line Warriors. Little Red Corvette has been changed. The song is intact on the Columbia House tape and dvd if you can find them. It was also on Netflix when they had it.

Knight of the Drones. Been so long since I've seen it I can't remember what song it was, but it was a Prince song that was cut.

Dead of Knight. When Doves Cry has been cut.

Knight Rider used a lot of cover songs in its original airing. I'm not aware of any of those being changed. I'm hoping a deal can now be made with Prince's estate to get his songs on the eventual Blu-ray release.

wazh
Volunteer

Post by wazh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:44 am

I noticed as well while flipping through the teasers that the music in the background of Junkyard Dog on both the R1 and R4 versions is missing. That's just plain annoying

Batchenia
Stranger

Post by Batchenia » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 pm

hi sir,
I am late but I think the problem caused by region code of DVD, as you said that "I have yes and don't ask why a complete R1 set a Complete R4 set and mostly copies from TV1 in Australia." so a wise way is to remove DVD region code by professional tool such as http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... 2-dvd.html or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSXCHj_LhY follow above guide, you can solve your problem, cheers :good:

ilsy
Stranger

Post by ilsy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:36 am

I would love to trade for those 3 episodes of Knight Rider that have Prince songs: White Line Warriors, Knight of the Drones and Dead of Knight.
I love watching my favourite shows like Knight Rider and Fall Guy with music that dates them to that time period.
Any info would be much appreciated!