KITT vs. KARR slot racing set

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT vs. KARR slot racing set

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed May 27, 2015 3:08 am

There's a new Knight Rider toy out and it's pretty cool: the Knight Rider KITT vs KARR racing set from auto world.
raceset.jpg
raceset.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
It's a little intimidating when you first open the box, but assembly was pretty quick and straight-forward. In my excitement to get things up and running I accidentally dropped one of the cardboard backdrops into the cat's water dish, but other than that things went mostly smoothly.

I was hoping to set it up on my kitchen table but it was way too big for that. Had to move the table up and start assembly on the floor.
assembly.jpg
assembly.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
The cars are exterior-only, no dash. Both cars have a single reddish-orange light that turns on when the car moves but it doesn't strobe. KARR has the 3rd season paint job but a red scanner. They have teeny-tiny license plates that you can barely read but they do say KNIGHT and KARR.
cars.jpg
cars.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
plates.jpg
plates.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
The cityscapes have some nice touches - there's a billboard for Knight Rider airing on NBC Friday nights, and Knight Rider-related graffiti.
cityscape.jpg
cityscape.jpg (93.03 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
graffiti.jpg
graffiti.jpg (69.6 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
The lap counter has a cool voice-modulator graphic.
lapcounter.jpg
lapcounter.jpg (77.58 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
The ramp before the jump.
ramp.jpg
ramp.jpg (70.41 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
It has been many years since I've played with slot-car set and they still haven't worked out all the quirks. The cars re VERY difficult to control. I understand that it may take a while for the set to "wear in" a bit, but the cars still spin out of control pretty often. I still can't make a single loop without pumping the gas, creating a stuttering effect but I am noticing improvement. I should be able to do a smooth race tomorrow. Oddly enough, the jump is pretty easy - it usually lands with no problem. It's just those darn curves that create problems for now.

Unfortunately, I think I may have a bad power unit. One of the tracks has no power at all. (I swapped cars, swapped controllers, nothing.) There is a 1-800 tech help number I'll try tomorrow so hopefully they can give me a fix or send a replacement part.

You can buy it directly from http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/srs306.htm but you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Let google be your friend. It may also be in your local hobby stores.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: KITT vs. KARR slot racing set

Post by jup » Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 pm

New?

The second that I saw the subject line, I went 'Wow. That's a blast from the past. Nice find.' Alas, never expected a new production. That's beyond sweet.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu May 28, 2015 2:55 pm

That is beyond amazing! I also never would have expected a new authorized slot racing set today but I certainly won't complain about any new product coming out. Except, $145 MSRP? Yikes. Yes, definitely will shop around for a much lower price if possible.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Cool thing :) I'd say it's a surprise release as I guess many of us are waiting the super Elite Hotwheels 18th scale KITT now. Anyways, it's always nice to see new Knight Rider merchandise being released.