New NBC promo for classic KR for Valentine's Day

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

New NBC promo for classic KR for Valentine's Day

Post by KFCreator » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:51 pm

io9 has a new article up spotlighting this new promo from NBC for the classic KR series crafted for Valentine's Day. By itself, it's kind of a fun, if not slightly lewd, video featuring nothing but clips from Season 1 of the show. But the way io9 headlines it and comments on it, you'd think the entire rest of the world only remembers the classic series like this, in all its cheesiness from the first couple seasons. IMO, once you get to season 3 and 4, it's almost like you're suddenly watching a different show as far as tone and dialing down the cheese factor about 10 notches. But no one ever seems to recall that except for the die-hard fans. Huh.

http://io9.com/supercut-of-knight-rider ... 1685444146
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

jeremy223
Rookie

Re: New NBC promo for classic KR for Valentine's Day

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:55 am

The video only uses clips from season 1 because it is an ad to watch Knight Rider on nbc.com which only has the first season available.

I agree about the later shift in tone. The first season had a different producer and very much feels like other shows from the late 70s and early 80s. Seasons 3 and 4 had more of an 80s feel. Season 3 is my personal favorite.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:30 am

Wouldn't it be interesting in these days of HDMI channels that have tons of channel options if big networks like ABC, CBS and NBC all ran 'retro' channels that consisted of nothing but their old shows, running them like they were actually being produced on a modern, weekly basis. Surely, such channels wouldn't cost as much in comparison to some new shows, since it's their own parent companies using material they paid for so many years ago.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KFCreator » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Jup, I would totally be on board if there was NBC Retro channel or any of the other networks doing that. It reminds me a bit of when I was a kid and Nickelodeon would switch their programming to Nick at Nite around 7 or 8 PM and run nothing but old black and white TV shows like F Troop, Bewitched, Mister Ed, I Dream of Jeannie, etc. Had I never encountered those shows on Nickelodeon, I probably wouldn't have discovered them until these last few years and they wouldn't have a special place in my heart. But now Nickelodeon doesn't do the same thing any more and they haven't for years. I know I can watch Knight Rider and other old TV shows on other "retro" specialty channels but that's assuming I have a premium cable TV subscription (which I don't), and even then, you usually have to pay extra for a lot of those channels that cater to a very niche market. Thank god I can watch a lot of these now through Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, or through some of the networks' websites whenever I want.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff