Origin of KITT's scanner sound effect?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Origin of KITT's scanner sound effect?

Post by KFCreator » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:28 am

This is a bit random but the other day my wife and I were at our 38-week doctor's appointment for our baby boy (our first) and as the nurse listened to the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler fetal monitor, it struck me that the way the sound came through the speaker sounded a bit like KITT's scanner. I had to laugh because at this stage, as if my brain doesn't have enough info. to process with all that we have going on right now, here I am at the doctor's office and the first thing I think of is how much it sounds like KITT. I guess that's how you know when you're a die-hard fan for life. LOL

Anyway, this got me thinking. I realized I don't actually know where the sound for KITT's scanner originated from. I know that it was basically the exact same sound used for the Cylons' eye in the original Battlestar Galactica but that begs the question of where did the sound editors of that show get it from? Is it possible it was recorded from a Doppler fetal monitor or something similar back in the 70's and tweaked to produce the sound we all know? Does anyone here know the answer? I tried Googling it but came up with nada.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

RafaelLOJ
Operative

Re: Origin of KITT's scanner sound effect?

Post by RafaelLOJ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Not sure whether it is true or not, but Marks Scrivani once told me that a Roland synthesizer was used to create it.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:38 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it came from some 'sound effects' recording for Hollywood community use. Which could make finding the answer really difficult.

RafaelLOJ
Operative

Post by RafaelLOJ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:48 am

Mark had a cassette recording of the sound playing over and over that I heard...
Not sure where he got it... that is all I remember that he said (and I heard) about it.

scatpack
Operative

Post by scatpack » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sur the sound come from a heart beat on echographie