David Hasselhoff vs. OJ Simpson - 20 years ago

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

David Hasselhoff vs. OJ Simpson - 20 years ago

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Twenty years ago today, David Hasselhoff had a pay-per-view concert from Atlantic City. At the time, Hoff hoped it would launch his American singing career.

Here's a commercial for the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXjCLPu97A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately for David, OJ Simpson went for a little joyride that day and the entire country was glued to the coverage and the concert was... not a big success. Now then, I have no idea what would have happened without OJ - would millions of people tuned in to watch Hasselhoff kick off the summer? Maybe, maybe not. But who know what could have been...
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: David Hasselhoff vs. OJ Simpson - 20 years ago

Post by jup » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Shows a stunning view on what people are drawn to...kind of sad, really.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:56 pm

True jup, although I confess I'm guilty of it. We go nuts whenever there is a car chase on TV at work (and in Los Angeles, they are not rare.) The OJ chase was pretty much the first of its kind and we were fascinated by it because it was just so new and unique - I understand why it became an obsession.

As for all of the reality TV that followed, well I have no excuse.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I have vivid memories of that day because I had convinced my parents to order David's Pay-Per-View singing debut and record it on VHS and it wasn't until after it ended that we switched channels and saw the recap of the white bronco that had just been going down the 405. I'm probably one of a very small group of people who still have that VHS copy of David's singing debut too as a result. LOL
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:43 pm

I bet OJ was watching the commercial and was jealous of his fame that he had to come up with something to get himself on tv at the same time.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:09 pm

This is what ticked me off about all of this-Instead of seeing David Hasselhoff show people that he could sing as well as he acts, People watched a wife beating double murderer run like a coward(which he is). MADE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH!!! But, JUSTICE Always has a way of evening things out. David Hasselhoff is Loved by Many ALL OVER THE PLANET!!!! While OJ is One of the Most Hated People on Earth. Perfect Payback wouldn't you say?