How hard is it to make a replica ?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

NicoSV
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

How hard is it to make a replica ?

Post by NicoSV » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello guys , i'm new and after searching I didn't find my answer , is it very difficult to build a KITT replica ? I know it's not some days of works , but months , or years of works to build replica ! I'm not a pro , I know actually nothing about electricity (how to connect the dashboard ?for exemple) or thing like that but KITT , for me and you , a big dream that I always want (And here in France , we don't have alot of Pontiac, so find the car is already a challenge..).
I'm only 15 years old but as I said , KITT is a dream .. Thanks for reeding , cheers , Nicolas . :wink:
(Sorry if my English is not correct)

Pac-Man
Rookie

Re: How hard is it to make a replica ?

Post by Pac-Man » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:27 am

I sent you some information via PM.
Check out Project: K.I.T.T. - http://www.pac-attack.com/project-k-i-t-t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Ultimate Knight Rider Map - http://www.pac-attack.com/project-k-i-t-t/replica-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arizonagirl11
Volunteer

Post by arizonagirl11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Pac-Man, can you send me the same info please? I do not have a future in making a replica, even though I would love to have one so badly, however, I am interested to see what the process is. Thanks!
Kimmy

beckka88
Stranger

Post by beckka88 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Pac-Man do you have any information or wiring guide on how to fix the electronics (season 3/4) to a 1992 Pontiac Firebird as we seem to be having some trouble getting it right

thanks

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:14 am

I've seen a few varieties out there.

The very basic conversion is a hack job. Person merely obtains an old Trans-Am, cuts out a part of the front nose area and stuffs in a Kitt-style scanner light bar. While relatively inexpensive, it also looks bad and will probably get Trans-Am fans to hate your guts.

The more money you invest and the more skill you have, the better your dream Knight Rider car is going to become. It's an understandable investment to have one of the world's few dedicated people build your Kitt car, for you. Their experience will churn out a top notch vehicle. But, you both miss out on that satisfaction of resurrecting an old vehicle into a status symbol of dedication to this classic show. And, these model makers do not come cheap. They must find one particular make of Trans-Am from an ever decreasing supply and hand build all the visuals and guts that make a Kitt a Kitt. If you have the time and money to properly invest into this status symbol, you will get a far more satisfying feeling for having completed your Foundation replica. The parts, although very expensive, should be somewhat drop-in assembly for the particular model of Trans-Am that you are restoring. Also, expect some electrical rewiring. But, probably nowhere near what you'd have to do if you were to hand build the dash and controls by yourself. And, yes, I have seen home done dashes and instrument panels. Results vary as widely as there are ways to interprete.

I've also read that getting the Doe skin interior material is remarkably challenging. After all, a proper Kitt is most everything that can be seen. Unlike a classic Herbie or a General Lee, which tend to be a paint job and the addition of a different speed guage or a musical horn and a roll cage.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:40 pm

http://www.earlythirdgen.com/forums/vie ... =25&t=1992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not meaning to repost from another website, but this is my story so far on building a Knight Rider Replica. You can judge yourself. Not an easy task by no means. Outside of one is pretty inexpensive, but it all depends on how far you want to take one..... It's not been a bed of roses for me , that's for sure... Lots and LOTS of time ..... Just my 2 cents

Marc
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups