Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Why KR08 was ahead of its time

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Why KR08 was ahead of its time

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 pm

OK, I don't believe that Joss Whedon was influenced by Knight Rider 08 when he was developing the new Agents of SHIELD show. Or maybe he was. But I am noticing a few pretty specific details the two shows have in common:

1) Cargo plane command center with car parked in back
2) In-ear communication device
3) Interactive Heads Up Display on vehicle windshield
4) Fitz-Simmons, the two geeky tech wizards are pretty much manic versions of Billy and Zoe

Just saying, there are a lot of similarities.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Why KR08 was ahead of its time

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:46 pm

1..Their aren't that many places that seem practical to place a car on a cargo plane.Its not like you can park it in the cockpit.

2.I think if they started talking into their watches it would seem too much like knight rider or any other show with talking watches as we've seen from recent Samsung products.Secret Service has earphones witht he spiral cord going to a receiver/transmitter.I'm sure by now they're all using hard to spot bluetooth headsets.

3.Ever since Iron man came out in 2008 its all been holographic this and heads up display that.I'm surprised keyboards are even used on television shows anymore.

4.Billy was all tech,I think Zoe wasn't that tech savy in nature.The parts Fitz and Simmons play are more like the techie nerds on any number of comic book superteams.I can't place them anywhere but it just seems all too familiar.

2knight
Rookie

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Why KR08 was ahead of its time

Post by 2knight » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:02 am

I was thinking the same thing. The show really does remind me of Knight Rider 2008 as well . Whether KR2008 influenced it or whether there's just some formula out there that writers are using, I don't know.

You have a couple of experienced people in charge (Coulson and Wen seem equivalent to Graiman, Torres, and/or Rivai), two field agents (Ward and Skye equivalent to Mike and Sarah - both Skye and Sarah have computer backgrounds, but aren't quite as nerdy as the two super-geeks); two super-geeks (Fitz-Simons equivalent to Billy and Zoe).

Then you have the planes, spy cars, missions in exotic places, etc.

I also feel they might have too many people to focus on like Knight Rider 2008 did. It would be nice if they could focus more on individual characters. None of them have grown on me yet.