Knight Rider engine question

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

edouardo
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Knight Rider engine question

Post by edouardo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 am

Using TV series fiction physics and logic, which is the more powerful engine? Kitt 2000 or 3000? Because i read somewhere that the 2000 uses a Knight Industries turbojet with modified afterburners. Isnt that a jet engine alrrady? As for the 3000, i only keep reading a v8. Of course mustang is better than the old transam in real life due to modernity.

knightroto
Volunteer

Re: Knight Rider engine question

Post by knightroto » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am

the mustang is still probably better. im sure the engine in it is heavily modified which is now possible with advanced technology of this century in tv physics anyways

stomasi
Stranger

Post by stomasi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 pm

I personally think the 2000 one would smoke the 3000. Besides the nano skin technology on the 3k, i dont think there was much special about it. 3k almost lost in a street race before transforming into attack mode.

knightroto
Volunteer

Post by knightroto » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 pm

nobody can be certain , unless they raced. haha
:kittconv:

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 am

Kitt top speed is 300MPH Ki3t top speed is 380 MPH

stomasi
Stranger

Post by stomasi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:19 am

when do they mention ki3t top speed?

plus ki2t's original speed was 300mph, but didnt her get a 30% increase in speed in season four with super pursuit mode? that would make it 390 right?

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by james olden » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 am

On the original series even in spm all we saw kitts speedometer go to 300 we never seen kitt go 310,320,330-390. But on 2008 series intro I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but ki3ts speedometer was 320 or something like that. Kitts 40 per cent increase of speed is a mystery.but we had this discussion/argument with Matthew and Victor Kros under kitts top speed in spm which the argument was never resolved lol.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:38 am

kitt top speed was 200mph according to the speedometer ,in superpursuite mode it goes 300 , and ki3t in attack mode 380 , I read somewhere the props design guys write the spedometer of KI3t goes 380

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 am

in knight of shining armor ki3t must go 377 to to try to estinguished the fire on him

25 year later ,the car can only go faster

Aragorn
Volunteer

Post by Aragorn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm going for KI2T in terms of raw power. Two things. One is the turbojet and modified afterburner combination and the other is the time periods those cars came from.

Having originated in the 80s, KI2T was conceived as the car of the future. If you were to follow the futurists back then (up to the mid 90s/pre-millenium), it was more "anything goes" than plausibility. KI2T had a jet engine, because back then, jet engines >>> car engines (unlike today where aviation tech is taking cues from automotive tech) .. so a car with a jet engine amped the wow factor and the power factor. The batmobile would be another example. There's also the fact that he runs on liquid hydrogen. Finally, I read somewhere that they kept upgrading KI2T at the cost of looking more garish because the current technology was trying to catch up. In short, they wanted KI2T to be undeniably unique.

KI3T, on the other hand, was a product of 2K. It was also high-tech, but needed to be believable and somewhat realistic (apart from the transformations). He is powered by a 5.4-liter V8 internal combustion engine, which is, imo, a souped-up Ford modular engine with an added kick. They could've used terms like 12 liter V24 or kept the specs vague like KI turbojet, but again the realism factor. And it runs on gas. It is still in a class of its own, but this time, there are cars that come close: those Fast and the Furious types with their nitrous systems. To be fair, I find the 3T more efficient in terms of fuel and waste management.

I can't comment on which is the faster car apart from the initial acceleration, as it is hard to do the math with a fictional engine with no detailed specifications and a semi-realistic engine with an "infinite power band". SPM vs Attack Mode is also out of the question.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 pm

james olden wrote:On the original series even in spm all we saw kitts speedometer go to 300 we never seen kitt go 310,320,330-390. But on 2008 series intro I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but ki3ts speedometer was 320 or something like that. Kitts 40 per cent increase of speed is a mystery.but we had this discussion/argument with Matthew and Victor Kros under kitts top speed in spm which the argument was never resolved lol.
Yeah, Nick and I definitely reached an impasse on that one; steadfast in our opinions that KITT either could (me) or couldn't reach 420mph in Super Pursuit Mode thanks to the 40% increase Bonnie said it'd provide. Definitely one of the more fun debates I've had, even if things did get a little heated at times. :lol:

Good times and good memories. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Robster
Recruit

Post by Robster » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 pm

I think old KITT still looks a lot more modern than a lot of the boring cars on the street today. Like I said in a different thread,he looks good. lol! The mustang is nice too.

J-R!

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:33 am

I find this but is not totally accurate it's based on the KI3t from the pilote

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ne ... ry/4237588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aragorn
Volunteer

Post by Aragorn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Yeah, seems to favor KI3T. I remember KI2T having radar/sonar and an In-Seat Medical Diagnosis for starters.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Knight2000 without a doubt. K3000 was clearly piston and crankshaft, and unless Knight Industries had developed a new material to make that type of engine, it is a severely limited form of engine.

The best top fuel dragster can only hit 3,000+/- hp out of an engine that is built to last about 3-4 seconds. That is the upper limit on piston technology. One might speculate that Knight Industries designed a new material that was 1,000x as strong, and able to handle the pressure and vibration for an indefinite period of time.

The question still remains: why would Knight Industries use that material in an already outdated design. By 1982, the turbine engine was proven to be the superior platform design. If Knight Industries had developed such a supermaterial, why not use it in the platform already known to be superior--the jet turbine.

Hence, I say that the total power output had dropped down the list of design priorities, and budgetary constraints perhaps forced the design of the K3000 in implement more conventional elements into the powertrain, while more of the budget was directed toward more advanced software, electronics and the nanoskin.

*Another thought*

Perhaps Graiman purposefully designed the K3000 with the less powerful engine because he was fearful that KARR might gain control of the vehicle at some point, and that would limit the damage that he might inflict. Perhaps he believed that having as much power as the K2000 design all concentrated in one machine was too large a risk to mankind if it fell into the wrong hands. We know he did have grave concerns about this scenario.

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 am

Personally I would say the 3000 had the most powerful engine...but only in the 2008 TV movie. That "Super Pursuit Mode" in the 3000 easily passes the "Attack Mode" of the 08-09 series which seems to sacrifice speed for weight. Nanobot transformation looks lighter than mechanical transformation. When 3000 raced the red car, The 3000 identified that other car as having a jet like motor and had to change to catch up.
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

lphill01
Operative

Post by lphill01 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 am

Looking at the turbo boost sequence, the 3000's engine looks more like an experimental rotory engine.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 pm

The CGI turboboost sequence is painfully obscure. Frankly, it looks like the work of someone given instructions to "make something that looks impressive but is mechanically unfeasible."

More specifically, there appears to be a transmission between the air intake and combustion chamber (a ludicrous arrangement), and the combustion chamber seems to be roughly spherical with a dished piston at the bottom, and topped with three fuel injectors at the top, creating a fireball which seems to serve no other purpose than to spout flames out the exhaust, performing no perceptible mechanical work.

If we follow the CGI illustration literally, we wind up with an engine incapable of moving the vehicle, as there is no evidence that mechanical motion is created by the spectacular blue fireball.

The only concrete visual evidence we have in the CGI sequence is supportive of the piston theory, but even that is shaky at best. There is no consistency between this sequence and a rotary engine of any kind, or any type of jet turbine either.

I think the creators were looking for a curious ambiguity, and the the CGI developers certainly came through on the ambiguity. The curious part falls a little short, as anyone with any knowledge of mechanics in general can see that the engine as shown in the sequence could not function.

Perhaps there are parts of the engine not shown. Entirely plausible, but we only have what is shown, and we have to base a reasoned approach on evidence rather than conjecture.

Also, K2000 audibly switches from a deep rumble to a high turbine whine when in demanding situations. I can't detect any similar change in the exhaust of the K3000, which is a letdown because I really love that sound, haha.

I get a little nerdy when a turbodiesel goes by on the highway and I get to hear its turbo spool up.

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:24 pm

k.i.3k= viper....nuff said....sorry twas lame & tech, full of holes. & wuzzzername --tho cute in boots, etc was no Dr. Bonnie Barstow... k.i. 2k took more abuse than the stang kitt ever could.
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Pilot 3000 >Series 3000. Pilot had SPM....kinda.
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 pm

lphill01 wrote:Looking at the turbo boost sequence, the 3000's engine looks more like an experimental rotory engine.
i think it was basically a Fast n Furious car engine clip that NBC/Universal stupidly used for the series.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 pm

AGREES...
" Silence....we have an intruder... "