What's the best motor to have in a KITT replica?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

buckolaci
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What's the best motor to have in a KITT replica?

Post by buckolaci » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Just wondering what the best engine choice is for a 3rd gen Trans Am /KITT replica? I know some of you have personal experience. I used to own an 82 T/A with 5.0 crossfire injection and it was pretty s...y. How about the 4-barrel carb or the TPI fuel injected engines. What do you guys think about the GTA 5.7L engines, are they pretty reliable?
Thanks for the input in advance
One man can make a difference

Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: What's the best motor to have in a KITT replica?

Post by 86678 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:57 pm

The best would be some sort of jet inspired turbine like the series, - Though that may be hard to come by.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 am

If you can find one from say a wrecked 98-02 Camaro or Trans Am get a LS1 V8, same size as the 5.7 tuned port but it is all aluminum and puts out 305 hp on pump gas (335 in SS for Camaro or ram air ws6 for Trans Am). Not only is it lighter than the old Iron block 305 or 350 but 300 and change hp is nothing to sneeze at in those 3rd gen coupes. that is the engine I would put in my KITT if I was building one ;).
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Tbird100636
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Tbird100636 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

It's really up to your preference and budget. There are some replicas running 6 bangers, but I'd say a Firebird/Trans Am would make more sense with a V8. But then again, the 3.8L Turbo V6 used in the Buick T-Type/GN/GNX and 20th Anniversary Trans Am would be pretty cool. The Crossfire Injection Engines had allot of problems, there are people out there that know how to tune them but you'd be better running something with a Carb. or Port Fuel Injection. The TPI engines are good, so are the LS Small Blocks. You don't necessarily have to go with the LS1 used in the 98-02 F-Body and C5 Vettes, you could also go with one of the LS small blocks used in the 99 and newer Silverado/Sierra trucks. Most of those are cast iron block with aluminium heads. You could also go with the LS6 used in the C5 ZO6 Vette, or the later LS2 or LS3 used in the C6 Vette, or even the LS7 from the C6 ZO6 Vette. The possibilities are endless.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 pm

yeah I forgot to suggest the LS series motors in the trucks, there was also a 5.3 liter 300 hp LS based V8 that was an option in the front drive Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS before they ditched them to a 3.6 Direct Inject 300 hp V6 that would easily mate up to a rear drive transmission (instead of the transaxle used in front drive trim).

buckolaci
Recruit

Post by buckolaci » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. One more question for you: how tricky is it to hook up the newer LS1 engines into the 3rd generation Trans Ams? I'm thinking engine management computer, fuel injection, motor mounts and other possible issues. Is it worth the time and effort or should I just look for a 88 GTA with the TPI 350. What do you guys think?
One man can make a difference

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 am

well if you go fuel injection you could just have the computer that came with the motor in the car somewhere. but you can get the LS series engines in carb format as well but they cost a lot more new than used out of a wrecked 4th Gen. this link may tell you all you need to know about swapping in a LS series engine in a 3rd gen.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-l ... d-gen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as psychical install they should just drop right in as they are the same size externally as a 5.7 from the Trans Am/Z28.