Got my Hotwheels Elite KITT!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KittCARR
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Got my Hotwheels Elite KITT!

Post by KittCARR » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I was never totally thrilled with the Joyride car. I mean it was nice for the time, and the KITT and KARR have been sitting on my shelf for years, but after receiving the Elite, I have to say the detail and body lines are impressive. The tires don't bother me at all, and they actually look realistic. Ill say that even though I do have both the 1:18 and 1:43 Elite, I can't really understand why the 1:18 is priced at $160.

I'm really happy with it, and the more I look at it the more impressed I am with the realism.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Probably standard pricing for entertainment based vehicles in the Hot Wheels Elite range... Their normal 1/18 cars from the Elite line are around that price too.

Makes me wonder though if some company out there will do a better one than this Hot Wheels KITT in 10 years time..hahaha..

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 am

It's priced so high because that's just the way this industry has gone in recent years.

I collect Formula 1 diecast models. When the Joyride KITT was released in 2004, a 1:18 F1 car cost £40. This year they will be £125 - and thats from the same manufacturer, with pretty much the same standard of detail as they had back then.

The diecast manufacturers blame it on labour rates in Chinese factories and the cost of raw materials going up.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 am

PSST, anybody want a used but NEAR mint joyride KITT? I have the box and his 'display tray', I really wanna get that new Elite KITT :P.

Dave
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:10 am

List it on eBay. I sold my Joyride version on there yesterday, and the money will go towards an Elite when they are released in Europe.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 am

sadly mine is not mint in box but i still have his box, his tray, other than some minor paint apps to correct some of the flaws (made rear cargo area and back of rear seat tan instead of black, added black paint to the sunken areas in the silver parts of the wheels), and removing the clutch pedal he is otherwise untouched.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:25 am

Keep it!! The more KITTS the better :)
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 am

KittCARR wrote:I was never totally thrilled with the Joyride car. I mean it was nice for the time, and the KITT and KARR have been sitting on my shelf for years, but after receiving the Elite, I have to say the detail and body lines are impressive. The tires don't bother me at all, and they actually look realistic. Ill say that even though I do have both the 1:18 and 1:43 Elite, I can't really understand why the 1:18 is priced at $160.

I'm really happy with it, and the more I look at it the more impressed I am with the realism.

Joey.
It's priced this way because it's brand spankin new. Go check out Ebay right now and you'll find cheaper. I'll prob give it a month to settle down then get one. I wouldn't count on finding one in store cheap or to go clearance though unless you are very lucky. Would be nice if Mattel released an official MSRP though as it is wishy washy at best. I would also bet that if they sell out fast they make the super elite for more $$ lol. They should have put out KARR press releases by now though.
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Hello,

got my "new" Hot Wheels Elite model today, started unpacking and recognized that the box was already opened and sealed again !!! :|
I have wondered why, but I got the answer now...

2 quality issues in the front of the modell

Can not beleive what Hot Wheels handed out to the retailers - where is the quality check? That is really inacceptable and I am very disappointed :!:

Is that what "ELITE" stands for?
Attachments
Anhang 1.jpg
Anhang 1.jpg (238.96 KiB) Viewed 27182 times
Anhang 2.jpg
Anhang 2.jpg (218.27 KiB) Viewed 27182 times

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm

That's a shame. Can you take or send it back for exchange?

Mine has a couple of small very small irritations - the T-Tops don't quite sit flush, the tail light has the same problem and the foglight grilles are bent up also. I ordered it from overseas to make a saving though, so returning it would be too expensive.

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:15 pm

DanielB wrote:That's a shame. Can you take or send it back for exchange?

Mine has a couple of small very small irritations - the T-Tops don't quite sit flush, the tail light has the same problem and the foglight grilles are bent up also. I ordered it from overseas to make a saving though, so returning it would be too expensive.
After having a talk to the retailer I have decided to keep the model with it's failures. The retailer have confirmed what I assumed before - all of the model got these little failures more or less. Some of them has been sorted out by the retailer before selling to the customers.
After checking the Hot Wheels Elite promotion pictures on the website I even saw the same failure on the front lights as my model has.
Really strange what Hot Wheels created.

Now I will correct it myself and have fun with it. Perhaps I will take the Super Elite version when it comes out so it does not matter.

Nevertheless my Hot Wheels A-Team van got a better finish although it has not that details which the KR has got.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 pm

DiggiDiDuck wrote:After having a talk to the retailer I have decided to keep the model with it's failures. The retailer have confirmed what I assumed before - all of the model got these little failures more or less. Some of them has been sorted out by the retailer before selling to the customers.
Not sure about that - seen several of them on eBay listings etc and they don't seem to have any paint defects, certainly not as obvious as the ones you have photographed. Mine is excellent in terms of paint - it's just a couple of niggling little things elsewhere.

I wouldn't just accept a fault like that personally - these are expensive models and at the moment, they're in plentiful supply. If that retailer can't get you a better one, get a refund and buy elsewhere.

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I agree with you and thank you for your words. I am a perfectionist and extremly fastidious but the point is, that the price already increased about EUR 20,- at ratailers in the loacal market and even on ebay. So now I know what I got for this price instead of paying more EURO for the next supprise. Espeacially when this model is just for about 1,5 years till the super elite comes. :wink:

I got time until next week to sleep and think about it.

By the way - the picture I mean is No. 6 and 10 on the hot wheels elite site - on this model it is the right front light which has the same fault.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:27 am

The headlights not being able to sit flush is very obvious from photos I've seen of the model even before it was released as well as in the reviews at YouTube.. I'm expecting the headlights not being able to sit flush and I reckon it will somewhat be an issue on this model which they would probably rectify on the Super Elite model....

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 am

They do sit down better if you press them home. One of mine sits completely flush, the other is a bit temperamental.

spectredx
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by spectredx » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 pm

DiggiDiDuck wrote:Hello,

got my "new" Hot Wheels Elite model today, started unpacking and recognized that the box was already opened and sealed again !!! :|

Can not beleive what Hot Wheels handed out to the retailers - where is the quality check? That is really inacceptable and I am very disappointed :!:

Hey DiggiDiDuck, I can understand how you feel man. I ordered one from e-bay for the same price of 160$ and IT HAD NO SCREWS! The car literally fell apart when I was examining it and the windshield got a crack on it because of this. I have opened a case with ebay about this as the seller is giving me a hard time with the replacement/refund, threatening legal action for sending him a "Not origianl" item. This is totally unacceptable ><. Btw, can you please tell me who did you buy it from? Coz I think they may be the same person. Was is scalemodel_outlet?

I would suggest you to return your KITT and ask for a replacement. We have been waiting so long for these masterpieces and we deserve the very best. Cheers!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm

spectredx wrote:
DiggiDiDuck wrote:Hello,

Hey DiggiDiDuck, I can understand how you feel man. I ordered one from e-bay for the same price of 160$ and IT HAD NO SCREWS! The car literally fell apart when I was examining it and the windshield got a crack on it because of this. I have opened a case with ebay about this as the seller is giving me a hard time with the replacement/refund, threatening legal action for sending him a "Not origianl" item. This is totally unacceptable ><. Btw, can you please tell me who did you buy it from? Coz I think they may be the same person. Was is scalemodel_outlet?

I would suggest you to return your KITT and ask for a replacement. We have been waiting so long for these masterpieces and we deserve the very best. Cheers!
I supposed thats what you would expect to get them early from ebay. The models haven't been officially released yet which is why model retailers and online vendors don't have them in yet. But yet they have been showing up at ebay from sellers in Hong Kong or China since early Feb. The models these ebay sellers have for sale are probably defective models that was leaked out from the manufacturing factory.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 pm

They're released in the US and Europe - all the big UK retailers had stock delivered in the last fortnight, European retailers got them a week earlier.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Hmmm... If so, it looks like the distributors in Asia is rather slow then to distribute them to Singapore and other parts of Asia.. As you already know, I'm still waiting for both KITT and the Ecto-1A...

I've noticed well known websites such as Entertainment Earth and BBTS don't have them in yet as well, both of which states a March 2013 arrival...

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 pm

imranbecks wrote:Hmmm... If so, it looks like the distributors in Asia is rather slow then to distribute them to Singapore and other parts of Asia.. As you already know, I'm still waiting for both KITT and the Ecto-1A...

I've noticed well known websites such as Entertainment Earth and BBTS don't have them in yet as well, both of which states a March 2013 arrival...
CK Modelcars in Germany has the 1:18 Ecto 1A and 1:43 KITT. Same for Modelissimo in Germany.

In the UK, Grand Prix Legends (largest online retailer) have them in stock, as do ModelZone (largest chain of model shops) and numerous other stores.

Lots of UK and European based eBay shops have them too - I got mine from Holland.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I pre-ordered from my local retailer... Its where I usually get most of my stuff from. Usually once they have an item in stock, they will either call or text me for self collection at the shop. Hopefully they will have it in within this month... >>> http://www.tfh.com.sg/product_details.php?prod_id=4765

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:44 am

Have been waiting the 18th KITT to appear at Modelcarworld.de where I have purchased many times before as the shipping cost is much lower than in Modelissimo. I see the 43rd KITT has now lower price there, 44 Euros.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 am

I brought mine from Modelautocenter-Berlin on eBay, they had two models at 119 Euros, 1 had sold within hours and I just couldn't wait any longer so brought mine. I noticed the following week he had some more at 129 Euros, this worried me as I thought there were something wrong with mine, the outer box has suffered some minor creasing from delivery to them as it was very well packaged to me (hence lower price, but I don't mind that to save money).

Model is above expectations, it has a few minor niggles as I am a perfectionist (small speck of dirt in the paint), roof panels don't sit flush and the seats were sensitive (the passenger one wouldn't catch, which resulted in some paint on roof lining rubbed off), but these are general mass production issues rather than QC. I have since stripped the model and fixed the seat and playing with the T-top panels does get them to sit properly. The paint issues are so most other people wouldn't notice, so I am now pleased with my model, and can't leave it alone. :good:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 am

Either way, I just can't wait to get my hands on it!!! You guys are lucky to already have it...

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:27 am

Ok.. So I finally got my Elite KITT yesterday. I didn't want to open up a new thread seeing as there is just too many of the same topic, so forgive me for hijacking this thread :-)

My thoughts on the model....

This KITT is my second HW Elite model with the Ecto-1 being my first one which I treasure a lot. This model of KITT is such a great looking model of the famous talking car. Smooth lines and finish, love the engine details and the undercarriage. As with any model, its not without its flaws though. Problem with mine is that the rear seat can't incline all the way so it can't really lean back against the back of the interior. No matter how hard I push it against the back of the interior, the seat keeps staying in an almost 90 degree position. Not really sure what is causing this and I don't want to open my model apart to find out. Not really noticeable anyways. And as mentioned earlier, the right t-top cover on mine won't sit nicely in place, not a problem with the drivers side t-top though. But I've noticed many have faced problems with the t-tops, but it no doubt works better than the ERTL model. The ejector seat as expected is really sensitive, especially the drivers seat. Its a similar problem I faced with my ERTL 1/18 ejector seat which I eventually removed the spring on that one and glued the seat down. Its as though Hot Wheels used the same system for the ejector. For now, the driver seat is locked in place, but I won't be gluing it down just yet since it isn't causing so much of a problem like the ERTL one did which kept popping up for no apparent reason. So I feel the ejector seat is really not necessary.

So anyway, the tires don't look that bad in person actually. Its in my Detolf display now, and when I look at it, I hardly notice the off looking tires. The rims are nicely sized though and definitely to scale. The revolving license plate is a nice feature which is somewhat similar to the one Diamond Select Toys did for their 1/15 KITT revolving license plate feature, although the one on the HW model is somewhat difficult to rotate the license plate and feels quite fragile. I had to use a cotton bud to push the bottom part of the plate so I can turn it over to the alternate "KNI 667" plate. This was a nice feature which I really liked on both the DST and HW KITT, but I don't think I will play with it around too much on this version of KITT at least. It will just stay at KNIGHT for now. The pop-up headlights is also a nice feature which I think can be improved perhaps on their future models. When I push the button, the lights doesn't fully come up and I had to use my fingers to pull it up higher. Press both lights down till you hear a click and it will flush neatly into the car, resetting the button to pop up the lights again later. The red scanner is a very nice effect this time around. The best scanner I've seen so far since the Aoshima 1/24 models. Pressing the button once will let the scanner run for about 20 secs before it turns off on its own. Or while the scanner is moving, pressing the button will have a nice shut down effect of the scanner, a very nice touch. But I wish it had a separate button so the scanner can be on continuously just like the ERTL KITT. Oh well, can't have it all....

Overall, I'm very impressed with the model, and yes, I feel it was worth the wait. Some photos to follow....