diamond select prototype vs production model

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

sfusco3
Rookie

diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by sfusco3 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Here is my comparison of the prototype diamond select kitt verses production line.
Sounds/voice from car is not as loud and sounds tinny. I opened both cars to see the internal differences and there is a few, the sound issue is caused by a lower quality speaker from what the prototype has, production has an all plastic thinner speaker.
The production model has slight differences as follows.
Production has pods painted, Gullwing logo, pnap buttons upper console and lower console painted.
Bottom retooled does not have play, off and try. Prototype has all three.
Tail plexi now tinted front plexi now tinted.
speaker connection now changed to wires soldered directly to board. Prototype has a 2 pin connector
Production has a smaller speaker

inside of production model

bottom of prototype showing play try and off switch positions

bottom of production model showing only play and try

prototype on the left production on the right

prototype on the left production on the right

inside of prototype showing circuit board, there is a section on the bottom of this board for spm and volume

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:31 am

well so much for the NON SPM car not having that nose with the big gap between the edge of the hood and the scanner slot, and not a fan of that 'looks like it was bolted on' scoop on the hood. and if you say the speaker is not as good quality as the prototypes, I am gonna have to pass on this one, which is a shame as their BTTF part II Delorean time machine is all kinds of awesome both in looks, sounds, and lights *sigh*.

EDIT: I MAY get it if I see it in person maybe pictures don't do it justice, and if the sound in my Delorean is good quality, maybe the one in the final version will be just as good.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

DSTZach
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by DSTZach » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Sound on the production version I have is fine; sounds great alongside Delorean. No gap on my hood, either.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Dave Knight wrote:well so much for the NON SPM car not having that nose with the big gap between the edge of the hood and the scanner slot, and not a fan of that 'looks like it was bolted on' scoop on the hood. and if you say the speaker is not as good quality as the prototypes, I am gonna have to pass on this one, which is a shame as their BTTF part II Delorean time machine is all kinds of awesome both in looks, sounds, and lights *sigh*.

EDIT: I MAY get it if I see it in person maybe pictures don't do it justice, and if the sound in my Delorean is good quality, maybe the one in the final version will be just as good.
I just got mine from ebay and the quality control is poor, the license plate sticker is missing and the voice box sticker is not straight, the sound although seems to be adequate.
DSTZach wrote:Sound on the production version I have is fine; sounds great alongside Delorean. No gap on my hood, either.
Could you post a picture? Because mine also has the gap between the hood and scanner.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 pm

yeah I too would like to see a clearer picture of the front of the production model if possible.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Unfortunately on all their final production models available for sale, there is a gap between the scanner and the hood.

Thanks for the comparison photos by the way! On the prototype, the voicebox blinks and syncs with KITT's voice.... I noticed from a video at YouTube, that on the final production model that was released, the KITT voicebox doesn't blink anymore and when KITT talks, the tv monitors blink instead.... Can you confirm this sfusco3?

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 am

Do you mean a gap or a seam? All of them have seams. It is how we were able to make the SPM KITT next.

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 am

blowersho wrote: I just got mine from ebay and the quality control is poor, the license plate sticker is missing and the voice box sticker is not straight, the sound although seems to be adequate.
License plate stickers are not applied, they are in the box. You get three, a KNIGHT, a KITT and a KNI 667. You can choose which two you want to use. You also get an extra sheet of dashboard decals, if you wish to remove your current voicebox sticker.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 am

DSTZach wrote:Do you mean a gap or a seam? All of them have seams. It is how we were able to make the SPM KITT next.
The space at the area between the scanner and where the front end of the hood is. Unless its going for SPM, there shouldn't be a space there....

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm

DSTZach wrote:
blowersho wrote: I just got mine from ebay and the quality control is poor, the license plate sticker is missing and the voice box sticker is not straight, the sound although seems to be adequate.
License plate stickers are not applied, they are in the box. You get three, a KNIGHT, a KITT and a KNI 667. You can choose which two you want to use. You also get an extra sheet of dashboard decals, if you wish to remove your current voicebox sticker.
Oh nice, thank you for the information. :good:

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 pm

imranbecks wrote:
DSTZach wrote:Do you mean a gap or a seam? All of them have seams. It is how we were able to make the SPM KITT next.
The space at the area between the scanner and where the front end of the hood is. Unless its going for SPM, there shouldn't be a space there....

All I'm seeing is the seam, where two pieces of plastic meet. Calling it a "space" or a "gap" is kind of an exaggeration.

The seam is what will make any variations on this car possible. If we had needed to re-tool the entire KITT body to make SPM KITT, I doubt either car would have been made. Sorry it's a dealbreaker for you.

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Thank you for your generous donation in the auction, by the way, sfusco!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 pm

DSTZach wrote:
imranbecks wrote:

All I'm seeing is the seam, where two pieces of plastic meet. Calling it a "space" or a "gap" is kind of an exaggeration.

The seam is what will make any variations on this car possible. If we had needed to re-tool the entire KITT body to make SPM KITT, I doubt either car would have been made. Sorry it's a dealbreaker for you.
Its not really too big of an issue for me actually, but it would be to some KR fans here and elsewhere. I will still be getting it though and patiently waiting for the exclusive one with the Michael Knight figure that I have pre-ordered at Entertainment Earth, just waiting for it to be released in Feb :D

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:05 am

so you're saying the finished product is an inferior production line model, a pale copy of the original?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 am

pdennis93 wrote:so you're saying the finished product is an inferior production line model, a pale copy of the original?
that made my laugh my friend :lol:, thanks for that :good:

but yeah the nose is a deal breaker for me, how they can get the Delorean right but get the nose of KITT wrong. I mean why tool up a different body shell for the non SPM car but KEEP the SPM nose on the regular car??? it makes no sense, so sadly I am not gonna get the new KITT, sorry.

sfusco3
Rookie

Post by sfusco3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 am

On both the production and prototype the vox blinks only when kitt talks the monitors blink when it says we lost power. As far as sound I notice a difference between the prototype and production perhaps I'm spoiled cause I have the 2 side by side

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 am

sfusco3 wrote:On both the production and prototype the vox blinks only when kitt talks the monitors blink when it says we lost power. As far as sound I notice a difference between the prototype and production perhaps I'm spoiled cause I have the 2 side by side
Good to know! DST did mention at their facebook page that the voice box will blink when KITT talks just as it did on the prototype. The one they uploaded at YouTube had some wiring problems which was why the monitors blinked when KITT was talking instead of the voice box...

And yes, I think you are spoiled for having two of them! Hahaha.. I don't even have it yet....!

By the way, video reviews of this 1/15 Diamond Select Toys KITT is slowly cropping up at YouTube..

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm

I can't tell which is which but does the final production line mode ( I feel like I'm talking about karr here) have that mysterious white line on the roof?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm

No it doesn't. That one in your post is of the prototype.

sfusco3
Rookie

Post by sfusco3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:07 pm

That is the prototype in the above pic that sticker is an identification tag they put on it

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I really like the license plate gimmick on this one. Coincidentally, the soon to be released and the more expensive (and diecast metal) Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT will also have a similar gimmick. This 1/15 car is not without its flaws though. Also, its almost an exact same shell that Hitari used for their 1/15 KITT and as I already have that Hitari KITT, that was very obvious. At the end of the day, its only a toy and areas such as the dashboard looked kinda off, but for a toy, I guess its forgivable and the light up feature is really nice.

One thing is for sure, after seeing a video review of the car at YouTube, I think Diamond Select Toys need to improve on the quality control of their products. I really hope not all of their KITT production line released had flaws and imperfections like the one in the video I just saw. I still can't wait to get the one with the figure and I hope I get a good piece!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 am

Just for fun...LOL.. I can't wait to get this Diamond Select KITT to see it side by side with my Kenner KITT car!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Do the doors,t-tops,trunk open up?

sfusco3
Rookie

Post by sfusco3 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm

The doors do open

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 pm

But not the t-tops, trunk and hood. If you want those to open, get the 1/18...