diamond select prototype vs production model

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 pm

I've been checking the reviews on youtube.Do either of your models have problems where the doors open and sink down like the hinge is having a problem of keeping the door at the same level open as closed?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I've been checking the reviews on youtube.Do either of your models have problems where the doors open and sink down like the hinge is having a problem of keeping the door at the same level open as closed?
Yeah, I saw the review on YouTube too.. It seemed Diamond Select Toys should really improve on their quality control. The guy doing the review also had a bubble in the paint area on the left side mirror. Very disappointed in those issues. Hopefully its not like that on the rest of the production models, the doors especially. And I hope I'll be getting a good one..

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am

the only problems I had on my DST light and sound Delorean was the doors do not 'latch' when closed they kinda stick out a bit along the bottoms this has to do with the fact the opening on the passenger compartment the door panel fits into is a tad narrow. and the Mr Fusion decals on the Mr Fusion tend to peel off but other than that the car is perfect, the lights are bright, the sounds are clear as a bell.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:28 pm

imranbecks wrote:
Knight Racer wrote:I've been checking the reviews on youtube.Do either of your models have problems where the doors open and sink down like the hinge is having a problem of keeping the door at the same level open as closed?
Yeah, I saw the review on YouTube too.. It seemed Diamond Select Toys should really improve on their quality control. The guy doing the review also had a bubble in the paint area on the left side mirror. Very disappointed in those issues. Hopefully its not like that on the rest of the production models, the doors especially. And I hope I'll be getting a good one..
I not at pleased with the quality at all. On mine some of the indicator lights are not painted properly, for $50 per unit this should not be the case.
Dave Knight wrote:the only problems I had on my DST light and sound Delorean was the doors do not 'latch' when closed they kinda stick out a bit along the bottoms this has to do with the fact the opening on the passenger compartment the door panel fits into is a tad narrow. and the Mr Fusion decals on the Mr Fusion tend to peel off but other than that the car is perfect, the lights are bright, the sounds are clear as a bell.
The right side door on my KITT does not latch properly either.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Darn. Very disappointing indeed. Now where is that DST representative that we have here? I wonder what he has to say about this.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:06 pm

I just got mine today and its pretty good.I thought the guy I heard got a bad one because of the door problem he had.Mine was fine.Its lightweight plastic not metal as I thought it would be for the price.You barely notice the plastic lights grid for the front nose.Its a huge model.I placed it in front of my 50 inch screen tv in this shot.The bottom right is a Dunder Mifflin paper package seal.Near it is the cutout of the kr minimates cardboard box which looks like it would make a great cartoon series of kr.On my draw is the cardboard cutout of the ertl joyride kitt.10 points if you can figure out what film is on tv.

I do have a few marks as i'm sure each one of these cars do:

A small scratch mark beneath the rear right turn signal.

I also have the world's tiniest paint bubble behind the right t-top.I'm sure even the kenner voice car had marks.I'm just happy we all have a chance to get that feeling kids from the 80's got when opening the kenner voice car.All in all its a pretty good kitt replica.I may even go as far as saying its better than the ertl joyride kitt exterior wise at least.

apollyon2012
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by apollyon2012 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm

I want to say its the "THE CAR", the same vehicle they subbed as KARR when KARR went off the cliff :karr:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Close,its the car from the movie Psycho when Norman pushes it into the swamp or lake.Black and white should have given it away.I think it made an appearence in Halloween H20.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 pm

I decided to take the extra sticker for the license plate and put it on the most state-of-the-art mouse,the cyborg mouse.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Congrats on your purchase Knight Racer! Yeah, its plastic, I thought everyone would know that by now seeing as its from Diamond Select Toys. At 1/15 in scale, it is no doubt big, but the Kenner KITT voice car is still the biggest at 1/12 scale. Good to know the door problem is just a case of a "bad apple" out of a whole bunch. I still think quality control should improve on the part of Diamond Select though. I really can't wait to get mine with the Michael figure..!!! Yours look great! Nice touch on pasting the KITT sticker on the mouse by the way :good:

And I really like that NYPD mouse pad!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 am

Knight Racer wrote:I just got mine today and its pretty good.I thought the guy I heard got a bad one because of the door problem he had.Mine was fine.Its lightweight plastic not metal as I thought it would be for the price.You barely notice the plastic lights grid for the front nose.Its a huge model.I placed it in front of my 50 inch screen tv in this shot.The bottom right is a Dunder Mifflin paper package seal.Near it is the cutout of the kr minimates cardboard box which looks like it would make a great cartoon series of kr.On my draw is the cardboard cutout of the ertl joyride kitt.10 points if you can figure out what film is on tv.

I do have a few marks as i'm sure each one of these cars do:

A small scratch mark beneath the rear right turn signal.

I also have the world's tiniest paint bubble behind the right t-top.I'm sure even the kenner voice car had marks.I'm just happy we all have a chance to get that feeling kids from the 80's got when opening the kenner voice car.All in all its a pretty good kitt replica.I may even go as far as saying its better than the ertl joyride kitt exterior wise at least.
You're a Psycho fan too, huh?

Edit: I never saw the above reply. I just noticed the car and knew the film straight away. I'm getting a book on the movie for xmas.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:07 pm

On the real KITT, the hood goes right down to the scanner. There is no space from where the hood ends and the scanner begins. Also, not loving the scoop looking like a separate piece than the hood itself. The nose looks more like the KR2000 movie red KITT.
That being said, I do like the electronics that went into this. Hot Wheels should take a lesson. Although theirs is more accurate, and I'm not saying it is 100% accurate because there are major flaws, Hot Wheels, for the price they are asking, should have put these lights in. Shows you that it doesn't have to be expensive to be very cool!
Thanks, Diamond Select, for the effort. I will be getting one!

Chris

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

I just found another flaw.The t-tops are too far apart.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I just found another flaw.The t-tops are too far apart.
Its my understanding that its basically an exact same or almost similar mold of the 1/15 KITT that Hitari used for their R/C car released a few years ago... Do the t-tops look the same as this? >>>

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 pm

The Rc car has the perfect sizee for the t-top gap.This is the shows version and here is the version on the diamond select model.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Aside from the discussed flaws in the the diamond select model,I think the wheels are close to accurate.The hubcaps are a bit smaller,it should cover more of the turbo cast rims.The model does look like kitt at least on its side.The glossy paint job even reminds me of kitt.I think this is a better version than what looks like the hot wheels elite will come out with.

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 am

blowersho wrote:I not at pleased with the quality at all. On mine some of the indicator lights are not painted properly, for $50 per unit this should not be the case.
Which of your indicator lights are not painted properly?

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 am

imranbecks wrote:Darn. Very disappointing indeed. Now where is that DST representative that we have here? I wonder what he has to say about this.
It's unfortunate, but mass-produced toys occasionally have minor issues. A paint bubble here and there is going to happen, or a paint error. We have full-time quality control people at work in China, catching widespread errors, but they can't check every single car we make. I'm sure Hot Wheels has their die-cast manufacturing down to a system by now, but they also have a lot more workers than we do. We keep our team small to keep our overhead low, and so we can pass those savings on to the consumer.

The $50 price is fair, I think, given the amount of electronics in it. It's really not much more than a decent-sized Star Wars vehicle or Transformer. Our BTTF Time Machine and Munsters Koach are the same price, and our Star Trek ships are slightly more than that ($60-70). Am I seeing correctly that the Hot Wheels Elite KITT will be $160? I knew it was more, but I had no idea it was that much. That's more than their A-Team Van. But I guess that's what you pay for the weight of die-cast.

And I'm sorry the gap above the scanner is such an issue for some people. We did it so we could eventually do this:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:37 am

I saw the DST 1/15 KITT for the first time in person earlier today at a local comic shop, it looks really nice! And I noticed the huge space on the t-top between each sunroof. Its not supposed to be like that...hahaha..

By the way, DSTZach, I'm probably one of the few here that can forgive and overlook that gap above the scanner due in part for the SPM KITT. The SPM KITT looking good there! Great looking foglights too! Keep the Knight Rider toys coming!!! And please do the convertible KITT!!!

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:14 am

a knight3000 please

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 am

I've found one in my area at Hastings. However, they have it priced higher than the $50 I see everyone posting about here. They have it marked $69.95. But then, Hastings has always been know for being expensive. I was impressed with what I saw.

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm

imranbecks wrote:I saw the DST 1/15 KITT for the first time in person earlier today at a local comic shop, it looks really nice! And I noticed the huge space on the t-top between each sunroof. Its not supposed to be like that...hahaha..

By the way, DSTZach, I'm probably one of the few here that can forgive and overlook that gap above the scanner due in part for the SPM KITT. The SPM KITT looking good there! Great looking foglights too! Keep the Knight Rider toys coming!!! And please do the convertible KITT!!!
You forgive the gap above the scanner, but the wider crossbar on the T-top earns a laugh of derision? :wink: I'm 99% certain that was done for strengthening purposes, because those are all separate components up there. I'd hate for the bar to snap because we made it too thin and couldn't get enough reinforcement on it. We likely would have had to extend it downward into the car, and I can see THOSE negative comments in my sleep.

And thanks for the foglights compliment. I think it looks good, too. I know six lights is not accurate to what people wanted on the standard KITT, but the more lights the better, IMHO. My friend's replica KITT has six lights in the front, and it looks pretty nice.

Why does everyone want the convertible KITT? Yes, I know it's never been done, but how many episodes was it really used in? And doesn't a convertible make KITT look significantly less bad-ass? I think it does. Like he's a joyride and not a tactical weapon. Also, it really showcases the beige.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:34 pm

DSTZach wrote:
blowersho wrote:I not at pleased with the quality at all. On mine some of the indicator lights are not painted properly, for $50 per unit this should not be the case.
Both of the indicators on the left side, the black paint show through the yellow and red paint, the right side door does not latch properly and I mentioned in an earlier post that the voice box sticker was crooked. I know that these issues can arise for any product but when somebody spends their hard earned money they expect maximum value for the money spent. However I still plan on buying the one with the Michael figure and the SPM version.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:44 pm

The spm video shows the rear spoiler but not the sides of the spoiler that raises up thats attached to the body.

Also the dashboard voce modulator is incorrect.I'm seeing 10 lights instead of 8 for the season 1-2 dashboard.Season 3-4 had the 10 which should be in season 4 with the spm model.

Its also got paint smudges for the lights.the monitor decals aren't placed properly

If you guys need help with the spm model dashboard decals,or other critique,email me at knightracer2000@optonline.net I'll help you make sure everything is accurate before you produce another set of mistakes on that model.

DSTZach
Recruit

Post by DSTZach » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:21 pm

blowersho wrote:
DSTZach wrote:
Both of the indicators on the left side, the black paint show through the yellow and red paint, the right side door does not latch properly and I mentioned in an earlier post that the voice box sticker was crooked. I know that these issues can arise for any product but when somebody spends their hard earned money they expect maximum value for the money spent. However I still plan on buying the one with the Michael figure and the SPM version.
Well, we certainly try to maximize value. That's why we pack in all the lights and sounds and everything. And the fact that you're planning on buying two more seems to indicate you like what you got, for the most part? (Buy KARR, too!) It sounds like your indicators are painted the right color, but the paint is not thick enough? I can see that VERY easily going the other way if there was too much paint, so it may be a case of the factory playing it safe. Sorry about your voice box sticker, I believe there should be a spare sheet of stickers in the box if you want to remove and re-apply.