Was turbo boost originally like super persuit mode?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

chin-up-27
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Was turbo boost originally like super persuit mode?

Post by chin-up-27 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

I was watching a very early season 1 episode of KR the other day, don't remember which one but Michael said to Kitt "Okay buddy lets turbo boost" and it felt very weird because there was no obsticle and what happened was Kitt sped up and they raced away. I don't remember this ever being explained in a later episode?

I have however noticed in some earlier episodes Kitt would do a jump (turbo boost) without any prompting from Michael or the button being pressed.

After all it does make sense as "turbo boost" does imply a boost of speed rather than a jump so I always found the name a little awkward. I wonder why the didn't create a name for the jump that was more apropriate to what it actually was.

Jay
Rookie

Re: Was turbo boost originally like super persuit mode?

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Well, considering material like the KITT Kit and whatnot, Turbo Boost actually fired rockets on the underside of the car. We can say the Knight 2000 electronics would simply adjust their position not to propel the car up but simply forwards.

But that's a retcon-ish view. I suppose the writers originally didn't have a big distinction.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Was turbo boost originally like super persuit mode?

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:05 am

Yup, I just saw TB as an adjustable rocket motor. In season one (just caught the episode on G4 but don't remember which one at the moment) Michael tells KITT to reverse the turbo booster to slow them down (they were heading for a cliff, Forget Me Not was the episode?). So I guess it can be adjusted to move forward in a quick boost (when full pursuit mode is not needed), to slow them down or jump the car (trajectory guide always seemed redundant to me but maybe it was just a more flexible mounting for the TB motor that allowed for steeper vertical jumping).
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!