Questions about a 1982 KITT restore

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

SoCalGamer
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Questions about a 1982 KITT restore

Post by SoCalGamer » Sun May 20, 2012 1:10 am

Hi all. I'm new to the boards, but I've been a knight rider fan for a good long time now. :) I just had the good fortune of getting my hands on a 1982 Trans Am in excellent condition, that only has 71k original miles on it. I'm not a rich person, but I'd like to do an exterior KITT restoration on the car slowly but surely. I'm honestly a bit lost on everything that I'll need to do that. I have no intentions of trying for a super pursuit mode restore, I just want to get it looking as KITT like on the outside as possible. I know I need a new front bumper, Edit: Just took a closer look and realized I don't need to rip the trim off. It's been so dang long since I sat down with an episode of knightrider that I'd forgotten he has the trim on the sides as well. So, the car just needs to be painted. (the car is currently white, so that obviously needs to be fixed) and I need to do something to the back. I hope I don't sound stupid, but I'm honestly not quite sure exactly what needs to be done to the back to get it to KITT standards. Is it just a simple tail light cover? Or do I need a whole remodel on it(IE taking out the original tail light cover and installing a whole new one)? I know I also need to get the hubcaps... the car came with two of the original bowling ball hubs but after being in the arizona heat for an unknown period of time, they're... not in the greatest shape.

Also, if anyone is interested in the california area, we discovered the car has the original spare tire and inflation canister from 82. I have no desire to keep it so if anyone wants it as a collectors item, let me know.

Hope I didn't commit any faux pas or sound like an idiot. :)

corlando52
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Questions about a 1982 KITT restore

Post by corlando52 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Hello and welcome. Making a Knight Rider conversion is a daunting task. My best recommendation is to first decide which Season KITT you want to make, as the noses are all different. Then, Google Image Knight Rider KITT 1982 (because you don't want pictures of the Mustang KITT) and you will have a lot of pictures to look at. The only change to the rear of KITT as compared to your car now is a plexiglass "blackout" that runs across the tail lights. It was screwed in place by 8 screws. Very low tech. LOL
There are so many vendors of KITT noses out there, some are overseas. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, the best noses are made overseas. Don't get the cheap ones on ebay. You will regret it.
There is a really nice board called The Foundation (knightfoundation.net) where a lot of us KITT makers hang out. Everyone there is very helpful and you can find just about any information you need about building KITT, inside and out.
If you need any more information, feel free to email or PM me, as I don't get notified on this board when someone responds to my posts. I don't know why.

Good luck!

Chris

kitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt1 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 am

Please post photos of your car.

Mark Puette
SOUTHERN KNIGHTS

By tcb4ep at 2012-03-05

KITT Conversion
Rookie

Post by KITT Conversion » Fri May 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Making a Knight Rider conversion, is a task that requires probably many years of work, and dedication to making one.
Take a look at: http://knightriderinfo.bugs3.com/links" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to take a look at vendors who provide parts to do a Knight Rider conversion. Trusted Vendors, are underneath the KnightFoundation.net section of the page

In addition to, that, http://knightfoundation.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a topic, somewhere within their Forum, for trusted KR Parts Vendors.

The only vender I am not sure about is Rob Louisell, as his website, seems to be down.
He told me he shut it down to retire, but then after that, I was told he is making parts again.

But currently, his website is down and shows a Test Page for Apache Web Server
KITT: Forget my body, where is my Random Access or my graphics board? I can’t even play a round of Pac-Man in here.
:spmgo: :kittconv2:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:56 pm

here's some pictures. The front wheel is off because we were adjusting the brakes.

KITT Conversion
Rookie

Post by KITT Conversion » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:49 am

How much did this Trans Am cost you?

What year is it?
KITT: Forget my body, where is my Random Access or my graphics board? I can’t even play a round of Pac-Man in here.

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:45 am

It's a 1982, like I said in my original post. It has 71,000 miles on it, and I paid a whopping $3500 for it. Had to drive a state over for it, but I'm ridiculously happy with it. This car was someone's baby. Brand new alternator, well adjusted brakes... power seats and windows, all of which still work like a charm. The AC is ice cold and it runs like a dream. It's got mostly new hoses and some new belts. The pistons in the hood didn't work but we already replaced those (got tired of jamming it open with a broomstick) and we replaced the air filter.

Funny story: I stopped in a small town in the middle of the california desert on the way back for gas. It was midnight at this point. I got gas, then parked near the snack shop and went inside for some snacks. When I came outside, there was a man taking pictures of the car. He called two buddies over and although they barely spoke english, they spoke enough to tell me that they do custom car modifications. They pointed over to their car... which was a perfectly done replica of the mustang KITT. The guy gave me his business card and they took a whole bunch of pictures of the car. I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of them, since they said they specialize in Knightrider restorations. Ten-One Corporation was the name, I believe the gentlemen were Japanese.

kitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 am

Do you plan to change it over to an automatic? If you are doing a correct KITT conversion it needs to be an automatic. Also, you can't install the KITT lower console correctly if it's a manual shift.

Mark Puette
SOUTHERN KNIGHTS

By tcb4ep at 2012-03-05

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Like I said before, I have no plans to convert the interior. I don't have the cash to do a complete overhaul, I just want an external KITT conversion. It's not just a cash question, my boyfriend is 6'6" and he barely fits in the car as it is, if I do the interior, he definitely won't. I honestly love the interior as it is, especially since it's in near flawless condition... all the buttons and knobs still work, etc.

Edit: I'm hoping it's not a faux pas to only want to do an exterior conversion. I don't know if that's acceptable around here or not.

n knight
Operative

Post by n knight » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:48 am

SoCalGamer

were abouts in California are you located.

Alex
alex

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/com ... ketch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/user/nknightkitt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s221.photobucket.com/home/n_knight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm in southern california, in the disneyland area.

KITT Conversion
Rookie

Post by KITT Conversion » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 pm

If you have a manual, there's a way, that a Member of this forum, did to the gearshift to, make it work with the lower console, without going through the process of transferring to an automatic. :good:

Check out this YouTube video by, the YouTube user: KN1IGHT - YouTube

The YouTube video, I can't find right now, 'cause KN1IGHT has a lot of videos.
But I do know, in one of his videos, he explains his gearshift, as his is a manual, and what he did to modify it.

Essentially, it's the original gearshift, removed, and a gearshift handle at about a 90 degree angle, placed on instead, as the original gearshift resulted in hitting your hand on the lower console. The horn for his KITT, is also on the Gearshift.

I'll post the Link in a reply to this YouTube video.

Edit: The YouTube video link is: KNIGHT RIDER MAGIC

You can find the gearshift part, at about 5:38 through the video.

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm

That's all exceedingly helpful information, thank you. :)

However, once again, I have no intentions of doing an interior conversion. Just an exterior. I like the interior as it is, and my boyfriend wouldn't fit in the car if I modified the interior. The interior of the car is fairly pristine as it is and I'd hate to fiddle with it... I like the fact that everything still works, all the little knobs and buttons.

Once again, I'm hoping that doing an exterior conversion only isn't something looked down on around here.

KITT Conversion
Rookie

Post by KITT Conversion » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 pm

SoCalGamer wrote:That's all exceedingly helpful information, thank you. :)
No problem.
SoCalGamer wrote:Once again, I'm hoping that doing an exterior conversion only isn't something looked down on around here.
The few people in my area, who have made a KR Conversion, focus on the exterior. Mainly the nose, wheel rim covers, tail light blackouts, and most importantly: the Scanner.Image
You can focus on whatever part of the car you want, whether it be the interior or exterior. It's your car no body else's.

Here our laws state, only orange lights are allowed on the front, so here people would be forced to make a KARR Conversion. No red lights are allowed, no matter if they're on or off.

For a list of trusted KR Parts vendors, go to: KnightFoundation.net - Trusted Vendors

Or for a link to each individual website, go to: Knight Rider Info Forums - Links

Each trusted vendor is under the Knight Foundation Trusted Vendors section of the page, and have a trusted vendor label, in brackets beside their name.

Good luck with your KR Conversion!! Hope to see some pics of the results and progress pics!! :good:

KC

Knight Rider Info Forums - Register
Knight Rider Info Forums - Index Page
[/b]Knight Rider Info Forums - Links[/b]

P.S. To Site Admins, all Knight Rider Info Forums links, are owned by me, and I give permission to be posted on this website

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks a bunch. Do you know what actually happens if you get written up for the red lights in CA? I never, ever, ever get pulled over and the few times I have I've gotten away with warnings or just dismissals. I'm wondering if I could get the red LEDs and just not turn them on often. If it's just a fixit ticket if I do get pulled over, it might be worth it. I don't imagine I'll get pulled over often, and if I do, I can change the lights out then for the fixit.

(I'm just curious because this is exactly what my bf does with his motorcycle. He's got a custom exhaust, and he occasionally gets pulled over and given a fixit. He puts on the stock exhaust, gets it written off, then puts the normal one back on. And no, it's not a really obnoxious loud exhaust, it's just one that he liked better.)

Edit: I also just want to take a second and thank everyone who has been so helpful. I was a bit nervous about posting here since you all seem so car and tech savvy and I was worried about sounding like a total doofus but you've all been amazingly helpful and kind.

KITT Conversion
Rookie

Post by KITT Conversion » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:29 am

I don't know what happens if you get a ticket for a red light on the front here in CA.
I currently do not drive, but will be very soon.
So, I don't really know.
I assume a ticket, but I'm not 100% sure

KC

SoCalGamer
Volunteer

Post by SoCalGamer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 pm

After some serious research and long thought, I've come to realize I can't possibly do this car justice. I don't anticipate having the time or the money in the next few years to restore it, and I don't want it to just sit around either. If anyone's interested in the southern california area, please let me know. I would absolutely love this to go to a knightrider fan if at all possible.