Knight Rider on Laserdisc

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider on Laserdisc

Post by neps » Wed May 16, 2012 8:25 pm

I recently had a fun eBay acquisition that I wanted to share - two episodes (the pilot and knight of the juggernaut) on Laserdisc!

These items are pretty rare, as Laserdisc didn't last long as it existed in the valley between VHS and DVD - even though it has better quality than VHS.

The discs themselves are from Japan and have very interesting illustrations and inserts - and of course Japanese subtitles. The image quality isn't the polish that you see on the remastered DVDs - there is alot of grain that you can even see in these camera pics. Also Laserdisc has two levels of quality, one where it's 30 minutes per side (higher quality) and the other where it's 60 minutes per side (lower) - these discs are 60 minutes on each side, meaning there is a flip of the disc you need to do half way.

The person I purchased them from kept them in very good shape. Not only were they in a protective sleeve, but inside there the original shrink wrap was still mostly intact, just slit on the side in order to get the disc out - the card board itself hasn't seen air since it's pressing.

I originally bought these as I thought it would be a unique thing to get signed, but now that they're kept so well - I hesitate to ruin them.

More images in the gallery here: gallery/album.php?album_id=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Re: Knight Rider on Laserdisc

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 am

Thats awesome! (And rare) I have never seen a KR laser Disc before.
Was it made in the early 90's?
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am

The copyright on the bottom says 1987 for their license, so that must be when it was issued. Im going to try to scan the covers high res today - willing to share of course.

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sat May 26, 2012 4:22 am

i'm LOVING the cover artwork on both laserdiscs! was the artwork used on anything else, or strictly just the LDs?

cool buy!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat May 26, 2012 9:42 am

I have seen that artwork used before but if the discs say 87 and I just did some research as to when the laserdisc format came out.Those are probably the first video covers to use that artworkI think the knight of the phoenix one was probably used for vhs first.

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 pm

hey neps, just out of curiosity, did you ever get a good scan of the pilot LD cover?