Trust Don't Rust.

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rucode4
Volunteer

Trust Don't Rust.

Post by rucode4 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:02 pm

In watching this episode, there is something that bugs me. KARR was placed out of commission for about 6 months or so, but you saw KARR... he was showroom ready!!! I think they should at least put a little dust on him. Unless, they cleaned KARR up as routine.

theknightling
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Trust Don't Rust.

Post by theknightling » Sun May 13, 2012 2:19 am

True, shows of the past usually didn't pay attention to such detail as shows today do. I think it all is because back in the 80's it usually was watch once and done. There wasn't DVD's like there are today.

My thing about that episode is that why would they just deactivate him? I mean they knew what his programing error is...so why not just fix him? Why put millions of dollars into another car? During the development of KARR, I doubt all the engineers/scientists had not made a single error that they would have to redo. I'm sure a lot of attempts and fails must have occurred before they got it right, so why not just consider the program error another setback and fix it before active duty????

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Trust Don't Rust.

Post by jup » Sun May 13, 2012 2:41 am

Actually, they semi-hinted at an explanation to that. KARR was ready. However, Wilton had grabbed some kind of undue attention. There were 'others' that would have taken KARR and all rights away from Wilton, should the vehicle actually leave the labratory. Although not valid for the expense of building KARR, it was the dream, itself, that was in jeopardy. So, for whatever legal reasons, KARR was deactivated not for his flaw, but for forces that would have killed the whole Knight Foundation from the get go.

Keep in mind that Wilton was super rich. What he didn't have a lot of was time. He could afford to build KITT. But, he couldn't afford to fight for the dream against others that knew about KARR's existance. So, he short cutted, deactivating KARR. Of course, KARR was kept around...just in case this legal issue could have been resolved. Then, Wilton dies and KARR is partially forgotten about. And, we know how KARR comes back into the world with Tony and The Rev.

To that fact, KITT was the inferior model. Consistant with the show's lack of detail, I'm not sure there ever was an explanation as to why KITT was green lighted, while KARR was threatened with the axe. Yes. Wilton was in charge and funding everything. But, there were these other people that had some kind of influence. I tend to think the Iron Man movies might give a better explanation on this, like with that court room scene about Iron Man being a monopoly force on US protection and how the US Government should have access to the suit's secret technology.

While I'm on the subject, here's an interesting alteration. Did you know that in the show, KARR chickens out against KITT and plumets over the side of a cliff into the sea at high tide. But, in the book, it's KARR's unique battery pack (Those wonderful batteries that keep KITT and KARR running for so long between charges. Never did quite understand why the turbine motor could not generate power, though.) that goes super critical, due to lack of proper servicing, and explodes like a micro bomb. I always felt that it might have been a nice touch to keep that 'danger' around for KITT...just in case he's been away from Bonnie for a bit too long.