Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC build

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kayin
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC build

Post by Kayin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:07 pm

(I know, this is my first post. I'm submitting here to make sure that when I work, I get things as accurate as possible without having a multimillion dollar budget. Besides, I figured you guys would like to see my tribute. I'll ask questions, and answer any I can. I'm building this as my final work in the IT industry, as I was diagnosed a few years ago with Marfan's syndrome, an inherited genetic autoimmune disorder that's trying to put me in my grave. This is a way ((when finished)) for me to keep writing and stay in contact with all the friends I've made over the years. It's also an excellent outlet for my love of TOS, and I'm dropping in pieces of KR 2008 and KR 2000 as I get the chance/see fit. Thanks for having me, and remember, this is the work of a fan, and not some official deal-I will occasionally get things wrong. Feel free to correct me if I do.)

I swear, some days I should have stayed in bed.

So work called this morning. Said I had a new PC to build, and gave me some specs. I don't think this stuff exists in the real world. Said it was for the Foundation for Law and Government. One of those hush-hush outfits. I've built mil-spec before, but this looks positively aerospace-or black project. I was about to pass when Michael Knight called me up and asked me to do it. He said it was for an old friend. He's helped me in the past, so I agreed, for him. He promised me what I didn't have, they'd send. He seemed to be very interested in this getup. I never pegged Michael as the type to care about a PC though. I didn't hear his buddy either. I wonder if he's OK?

(As you can guess, this log will have fiction writing too, but it's only fair-I'm a writer. This is my final build-my hands are becoming too arthritic to keep going for much longer. After this, I may repair, and if someone wants to sponsor me fully, I'll consider it, but later this year my wife and I are building our dream home, and I'm going to concentrate on finishing my novel, other stories I have to tell, and I may take up painting again. I'm not tired of PCs, per se-I'm tired of constant rebuilds and cheap components exploding. I'm taking my time and sourcing some out of this world equipment, so I can have a nice break.

Why Knight Rider? Mostly, the influence of my wife. She remarked about how much I loved it, and when I said the fans would eat me alive, she reminded me that letting my OCD have fun with this might just prevent that from happening. We're both children of the 80s-1981 for me, 1982 for her-and we both loved it immensely. I tried to add Super Pursuit mode to my Big Wheel-I injured five people plus myself. Didn't stop me from trying again.

This is also a cover for the fact that this PC is a text-to-speech setup for me so I can continue to work with failing hands and eyesight. What better way to deal with a computer than treating it like one of the most beloved AIs in creative history? A speaker setup in the drive bays along with a good microphone and I'll be able to "talk to KITT" as well as use Dragon for dictation purposes. It'll help on the days where the pills aren't enough.

But you came for pictures. Pictures you shall receive!)

For reference, a lot of these pics were taken in tornado preparation mode-we had a pretty messed up floor from all the rains when I brought the case in (under a tornado warning that didn't expire for 10 more hours. You'll see lots of jugs of water and general mess as we got everything inside and backup supplies ready.)

Case, and board/proc ready to go in case. It's an Alienware Area-51 setup. I wanted something with bold lines to base the system on. The dent in the door is how I was able to acquire this. It wasn't easy.

Side view-those panels aren't plastic, either. They're electrostatically painted aluminum.

Rear view. You can see the PSU there-it's a 1100W Delta setup. Server grade. Modular (in a way) as well.

Case with door up. It's extremely big too.

Lower side panel ejection setup.

Board and processor installed. Processor is an i7-2600K.

Testing the hot-swap bays with a dead drive. I'm going to interface these with a storage controller initially. I have other ideas, but that will have to do for now.

Temporary RAM and hard drive installed. That's all I have that functions in the house. At least it still functions.

There it is dwarfing my 24" monitor.

Can you tell what's impressive about this shot?

How about now?

A bit blurry (and pill-strewn) but the other side and front/top are active as well.

You try catching moving vents with a still camera.

The moveable vents are active...

But that is most definitely not Dell hardware.

For my first miracle, I completely interfaced a Dell ESA setup from an Area 51 with an ASUS board, and told the software and firmware it was cool. I have full control over fans, pumps (when I get them,) lights, and servos. I also can use the ASUS thermal probes to control the fans and servos. It's a lot like an Arduino, if an Arduino came with a hefty 12V connection that could run 38mm Nidecs.

After proof of concept, next comes disassembly and modding. There's a lot of that to come. And I mean a LOT.

See you next time. Whenever that may be. I'm currently attempting to find a small Larson scanner with fade that looks more like the halogens of the show and runs off something close to 2 AA batteries (as this setup has a place for two to power the auxiliary lights.) I can find 6 light easily, but 8 is like finding needles in haystacks.

Tannim31
Rookie

Re: Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC build

Post by Tannim31 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Evilmadscience.com has what you are looking for, I have used their scanners on both my hitari KITTS. it's cheap, some assembly required but EASY!!!!! runs off 2X AA's

http://evilmadscience.com/productsmenu/ ... 52-scanner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

video is there too

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by MR2NR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Looks good. What servos are you using for the movement of the vents on top? Can you voice activate the system to turn on? Would love to see videos when this is complete.

On a side note I would get rid of the Alienware logo on the front by a paint over or a decal at least.
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm replacing it with a custom Knight Industries badge. I'm not leaving any branding on it I don't have to.

200 feet of furryletters Clean-Cut Techflex. Looks like a lot, huh? It's really not.

Battery compartment and interior trim piece gone...

PCI fan gone as well, they hid a lot of junk back here.

Big finger-chopping Nidec in there.

Vent trim piece removed.

Radiator bracket under the vent assembly...

Only took eight hours and the technician's manual to get there. Now to prep for powder coating.

More angles, showing just how much was in there.

What's underneath the hard drive bays...

Yeah, took a lot off this thing to get here.

That was yesterday's work. Today, I sleeved. I'm not halfway through, and I used 100 feet of sleeving today, with no wasted pieces. There's just that much wiring in this thing. And I'm not done adding wires.

This piece needs to be redone, as it's too bulky, but you can see it's sleeved, then laced with waxed tape to keep the individual wires together. It's a NASA trick, as well as military, telephone lines and some custom cars. I did a lot of this to PBX lines back in my working days. It just fits the theme. Also, no zip ties whatsoever.

Another shot, showing that it really is too thick to be routed properly.

More wires sleeved and laced...

And more. This bundle runs the top of the case-all of them. So yeah, I've got a long ways to go. Most of the lines that have to be sleeved by themselves are done, though.

Also, this thing came in. Wonder what it does...

More whenever I can get to it, I overdid it today. Need some time to rest.

manlai
Rookie

Post by manlai » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 pm

What are you going to do with the vox? When I build my rig, I connected it to the audio out. But ever since win 7 it doesn't support output to multiple audio devices so I either get no sound and the vox lights moving or sound through my home theater system and no vox lights.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm looking at that now. Win7 does support it, but it changed the way that sound systems talk-there are no more audio processors used by Windows, it uses the OpenAL system. I've been able to get a USB setup and a regular sound card, or sound card and onboard working independently, but I'm not quite sure what route I'm going to take-it's not an easy setup to say the least.

I have had Win7 since they released to developers, and I've got Win8 now. I know it can run it if 7 can't, though I'm not the biggest fan of the interface.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:28 pm

This is one of three ambient temp sensors. It's a bit tough to see, but it's a Dallas one-wire. Best stuff out there.

A little better shot of it. The bracket around it attaches it to the case.

The MIO board and its three ambient temp sensors. As an aside, it's made by MSI. Who knew?

Arthritic or no, I'm still able to do the impossible. That was shrunk with a lighter, BTW.

I've finally finished all the sleeving for the case except for one ultrastrange connector that'll be getting split Techflex as I don't even know where to find or buy the tool to depin it, and it's double and triple-crimped anyway. I've partially completed the PSU braid, but it's a complex proprietary system developed by Delta for Dell, and it's VERY complex. There are lots of common lines and no colors are what they really ought to be. Still, I'm making progress. I'll probably have to wrap the base of the monolithic modular connector with self-welding tape, but we did that when prototyping anyway. What did you expect when adapting an 1100W T7500 workstation PSU?

Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish the sleeving and get started laying out the changes to the exterior panels. I'm doing the most tedious stuff first, so it gets done.

Also, I have to test my 470, my cat killed the waterblock on it by knocking it off my desk. The top can be replaced with a new slab of acrylic, but I have fears the card died with it, which would necessitate me giving the client my 470. If so, I'll be on the hunt for a video card, as I have no more. Not a fun place to be. The 470 had other issues, though-heat and power draw. Possibly, this is just an opportunity to remedy those issues.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 am

So why not just mic the VOX for unforeseen Microsoft blunders? Do you have an idea where you are going too place your scanner?
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:29 am

In the front bays instead of an optical drive. Still have to lay up the CF for that.

Time to shift a bit of metal...

Doesn't look like much, but that lip turns into a hanging corner, stopping a rad from going there.

Repeated on the other side...

Removing the spring steel drive holders... I have a right angle drill that will be removing the interior welds.

And the last one. It doesn't look like much, but honestly every one of these cuts took a long time to plan out, to make sure I didn't remove something else important and didn't compromise case integrity. I'm proceeding slowly, to make sure each thing I do is the proper thing to do. It's not always a simple thing.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:46 am

This is a grille in development for the top rad setup. White Light Laser (like them here on FaceBook) is sponsoring all of my acrylic and cutting for this build.

I've also got as sponsors Ice Dragon Cooling and the local movie studio/publication house JessAndy Entertainment, who I often help with props, editing machines, etc. There's some really good fiction available through them, and I should be publishing some pieces there soon as well.

I have other stuff in talks, including a local option for custom decals, but for the moment I've still got a great list of sponsors.

Just thought news like that deserved its own post.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Sleeving proceeds apace...

I'm doing away with the Kensington lock slot to make one uninterrupted piece. The hexes are going away too-there's simply too few of them.

Metal-filled epoxy in the hole. There's excess to allow me to file it to shape.

Removing the lock slot's hardware on the case itself...

Rivets drilled out...

And lock bar removed.

Now back to the fully hardened filler...

The extra is cut off and the top scored up for filler...

Yeah. Filler.

A little thick but workable. Some time later...

And with the addition of these...

First coat done. Most of the hexes filled in just fine. High build primer and spot filler ought to do the rest. And gouges will be dotted with filler before I shoot primer for this. But all in all, a success.

Weather had to turn bad on me today. Tomorrow is a doctor day for the little one, so progress should pick back up on Tuesday.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm

What's so special about this tray?

Polished zinc?

Yeah, polished zinc. I have my work cut out for me getting the rest of the skeleton to match, huh...

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 pm

I'd like to announce a new sponsor!

120mm Overkill Billet Fan Grills

3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Sheet

Thanks to MNPCtech for the Overkill billet fan grille and the Di-Noc Carbon Fiber vinyl they're sponsoring!

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:43 am

Some more work today...

This is the polished vs bare in sunlight. Much more evident.

Another shot. The demarcation is evident.

Can you tell what's missing?

From this angle maybe? The floppy bay at the top has been completely removed to help with rad and SFX clearance.

Motherboard tray pulled, getting ready for polishing...

And some artsy pics of wire clips, because I need to know where they go back after I dye them black.

Enjoy, I'm off to doctors with the little one today(tomorrow, whatever) but I've got more polishing and such ahead of me.

Kn1ghtboy
Rookie

Post by Kn1ghtboy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Kayin wrote:Image

This is a grille in development for the top rad setup. White Light Laser (like them here on FaceBook) is sponsoring all of my acrylic and cutting for this build.

I've also got as sponsors Ice Dragon Cooling and the local movie studio/publication house JessAndy Entertainment, who I often help with props, editing machines, etc. There's some really good fiction available through them, and I should be publishing some pieces there soon as well.

I have other stuff in talks, including a local option for custom decals, but for the moment I've still got a great list of sponsors.

Just thought news like that deserved its own post.
Hey Kayin!!
I wanted to ask you about the grille top? Where did you get that logo from? Reason that I'm asking is I created that logo for a computer class project which has been totally redone & looks way better than the one you have in the picture. I posted several drawings of it on this forum for feedback from others that create logos for projects they've done. Honestly, I pulled all of the logos because I didn't think it was neccesary to keep them up with a better logo that I have finished up. I printed one & use it on my KI3T Tech Manual that I have made for employees of SSC. It was all out of fun! It's still a work in progress. The new logo looks more like a KNIGHT instead of a SNAKE! I have seen it floating around on the net but it's an imcomplete logo that was a work in progress drawing. Luckily I got a 4.0 in CGD class! I really enjoyed learning how to draw using CAD & other software. Out of the classes that I took, I think that CGD class was one of my top favorites.

I like your project that you're doin. Very interesting for those of us that are Computer Science majors & CIS majors. Something to refer to while learning how to rebuild a computer from the ground up. I give you KIDDOS on your project. Can't wait to see it finished.

"LAR"

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd love to incorporate your new logo! Your logos were an excellent update to the ones of the 80s, a great "what if" for a company that produced that then and is working on a successor now...

I'll be sure tomorrow or whenever I next update my logs to add credit to you for the logos. I see no sense in you not getting credit for your great design work.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Getting some real modding done...

This is the PCI fan mount, that's situated to blow over the southbridge, video and RAID card.

Attacked with Dremel...

MNPCtech billet grille in place... This will get cleaned up and repainted when I start painting, and when my airflow straightener gets in, it'll go in this.

There it is in place. The cover that goes over it isn't in place yet, I'm taking a look at what I can do differently.

And, an update as to what I'm working on now...

As you can see, someone tried to get into this package before it got to me.

What is it? Well, it's 1000 denier Kevlar-5.6 oz. And it's a fairly large amount-36"x70".

Along with carbon fiber cloth.

KITT was supposed to be waterproof, fire proof, bulletproof and explosionproof. Let's see just how far we can get with today's tech.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:34 pm

This wasn't expected to show up at all, but it did. Yay me!

What's in the box?

Cat! No, she's just resting after tearing through the house. Knocking over floor tiles, stuff like that. You know, cat things.

Hexagonal armor tiles. Almost every piece is in place, and one piece is something that has to be made, not acquired.

I'm reviewing the directions for my resin to decide if I can do it inside or if I have to be outdoors. I'm also looking at a few other ideas to make sure that when I put this together it's gonna stay together and work as intended. No sense in rushing, this stuff while not expensive is honestly just too nice to go and mess up.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Laying out the panels so I know how everything's gonna fit...

Both sides are set, still have to cut the Kevlar and CF for them.

Also, this arrived.

ASUS HD6950 DirectCUII 2GB. Luthien is testing it in Skyrim for me. Looks great so far...

Small steps, but when they're like this I can make sure I'm not messing something up.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Stiffening the side panels first, carbon cloth cut to size and laid inside to test fit.

Resin poured (keep those fast food plastic items for stuff like this...)

Add hardener (methyl ethyl ketone peroxide)

Here you can see the bottom piece is completely wetted, and the top one is next.

With both pieces wetted, the tiles are laid in place...

And though it's kind of hard to see, resin is spread over the top and scraped between the tiles. This setup is repeated for the other side. The panels are then set aside for three days for the resin to fully cure.

Later I'll start to make the next layer of armor. It's different compositionally from the first part with the CF and ceramic tiles. While this layer is there to stop high-speed projectiles (by destroying the gas jet they use to penetrate, as well as shattering projectiles on the hard ceramic surface) the next layer is designed to entrap any bullets or bullet fragments left, as well as survive gross puncture attempts. The first part imparts rigidity, the second imparts the bulk of the defense.

I'll probably update again when I get started on the materials for the second layer.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

So, I'm back, like I said I would be.

Fair bit of progress so far...

Heating up primer/surfacer to spray this piece to show mw where i need to apply glazing putty...

Looks straighter here than it is. A good bit of time will have to be spent with this.

What am I doing with this? Mostly, it'll be my wife's new case, but I'm cutting a piece or two for myself...

Just because I can.

The initial form of the cowl induction scoop...

Shaped roughly and ready for bondo...

During the application...

What's this? You'll see...

Kevlar cloth laid out. I have a piece 36" by 70", and it took me over an hour to cut it in half down the middle. This stuff is extremely tough.

Why isn't there more progress? This.

That's a size 13 shoe for a concept of scale. Really nasty hailstorm, damaged cars and our house. We've got hailstones in the freezer nearly the size of baseballs.

A little preview of the progress I've made since then...

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Collected work, again...

Working on test fitting parts. Looking to see how routing will have to go.

Case is wide, but not especially tall. Makes some stuff very interesting.

You can see two of the Dallas one-wire sensors there in the front, I'm thinking about moving one to the lower side intake.

As you can see, lots of wires to figure out how to rout.

Even with the stiffening rail at the top of the card, it's still flexing. Gonna have to engineer something to fix that.

More cutting work on the Bondo. It's gonna take a long time to get this built up from nothing, but it's all worth it. It's doing quite a bit better already.

Just a single coat more of primer/surfacer and it already looks so much better.

Friend of mine had "leak tested" this rad with a garden hose and a plug.

This is after I hammered the bung back down.

And after silver soldering it back on.

I think my help is all tired out, what do you think?

And a coat of primer/surfacer, getting it ready for a nice paint job. Black, but better than it came with.

Stuff's drying, I need new Bondo spreaders, and my hands are shaking again, so I'll be back with more when one of the abovementioned issues is dealt with.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 pm

These are the sides to the front. They're vacuum metalized (very well I might add) but they need to be black. They also need those holes filled in. As filler doesn't adhere well to vacuum metalized parts, I'll hit them with some primer/surfacer.

Like so.

Since I'm out here, I sanded and sprayed more filler on the hood scoop. It's getting there, really needs just a bit more filler and some glazing putty. Thinking about swapping fillers, though with proper sandpaper (like when I found my stash that I had put away) even the junk I have isn't too bad. It's more a functionality of doing it right than doing it fast. Slow down, enjoy the work, realize that the end result is worth it and relax.

It's cleaning up, though I still need to drop filler in those two gouges.

Where it stood when I stopped working today. Weather was a bit cool to get primer to dry.

These are the lower panels to the case. They're being reshaped with the foam to change the lines of the case and add a bit more "carlike" feel to it.

First they're roughed out, as above. Next I paint it with a water-based paint (I used Polycrylic, you can even use latex house paint) because I learned my lesson with both filler and primer on the hood scoop. After that, I primed both panels before filler, so as to add another layer of protection in.

I know they're rough. They have no filler at all yet. This is all prep, to make it easier when I start to put filler down. The snafu with the scoop showed me that this stuff is very unforgiving.

Here's where I am now. I may pick up some more spreaders tomorrow when the little one goes to the doctor and I pick up more pills. If so, I'll probably lay down some filler and start shaping them.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Back with more updates, though these are of a more... indoor variety.

So what's with filling the holes where the screws go? Well, at the bottom of each of those holes is a powerful neodymium magnet. The filler is to keep the magnet from skittering away, as well as to even the surface for epoxy and CF cloth. When finished, this will hopefully have no holes where the screws once were. Still need to fit lenses for the hard drive lights.

You can see just how small they are, yet they hold just fine. These are for the side trim pieces that cover the sides of the top louvers.

Just keep this view in mind, it'll change in a second. Also, apologies, my camera is starting to give out.

The ESA's bluetooth module, however, it's very dead. Didn't know till I tried to pair my new mouse.

Wire clips, in original whitish and new and improved black. I tossed them in a dye bath. Works real good.

This horribly crappy picture show's KITT's alpha circuit, or the ESA board. They perform the same role-they allow KITT to control the car (or computer.) Right now it can ramp up and down fans, pumps, lighting, and open and close the top automatically depending on the conditions in effect.

Can you spot the difference?

The difference is subtle in the last picture, but you'll notice the purple-black coloration of these metal pieces? I created my own MBS formula for galvanized steel. Doesn't rub or wash off. Also, it shows the Widmaenstatten lines in steel just like an acid etch. This shot shows the lining on this piece.

A much better shot, showing the trays with the MBS applied and installed. Don't worry, when the sun comes back out I'm gonna reshoot all this.

Rewiring the beast after polishing the chassis and installing a multitude of sensors. This was a real pain.

A trim piece, with its magnetic fasteners visible during mock-up.

Wiring the back bays to the front for HDD access.

And she lives, though I'm far from content with some things. The VGA power connection is temporary, for one. The ESA interface with the cooling system beside the motherboard needs more holes drilled and tapped, and I have to put some ties down for some of the wiring. But, I'm now able to start focusing on the aesthetics of the inside, as well as creating the front panel setup.

Very little of this besides my proprietary MBS colorant formula is groundbreaking. From here on out, I intend to change that. I'm sure none of you have a complaint with that.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 pm

At first I thought you may be crazier then myself for taking on a project like this. I check this out every time you update it. Man you really have my curiosity and I can't wait to see how this turns out. I never would have thought of adding a hood scoop like that, its genius! Wish you all the best of luck on this!
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;