Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC build

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kayin
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC build

Post by Kayin » Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 pm

We remember leaving off here...

Looks worse, feels smoother. It's getting there (found my bondo damaged the foam chemically, though I've now sorted a solution for that and I shouldn't have any more collapses.)

Moving forward with reshaping the lower panels...

It'll take some shaping yet, but I think another skim coat is in order...

Same with its twin.

Should be the last run of glazing putty, one more prime and it'll need to be sprayed. Then comes the fun of wetsanding.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 pm

That skim coat I mentioned...

Other side as well...

Started using an orbital sander (hands can't take manual much any more) as well as working on the gap that used to exist between paint and vacuum metalization. Plan for that is that it disappears completely when I'm done.

Other side is prepped like this as well. You can see that there's less and less to fill each time-exactly what we want.

While it looks a horrid hodgepodge of colors, they help me to determine what's not right yet. Also, we're getting ever closer.

A bit shaky (as was I) but the primer smoothed out a LOT of that.

And both sides are now missing that gap around the edge of the panel.

Tomorrow should see me bring out the unmodded side panel and fix a long, annoying seam on it. Should be just a bit of glazing putty and a coat or two of primer, a bit of a sand to knock down the roughness, and I'll start getting the interior of the panel prepped for paint as well as upholstery.

It's slow, but I like the progress. It's very fun, to be back working like I did with my father. I still need to get my rad out and spray it, now that I think of it.

Kayin
Volunteer

Post by Kayin » Sun May 20, 2012 10:51 pm

The flat case panel, coated in high-build red oxide primer. Still needs gaps filled and the armor sealed into the back. But they're coming along.

$14 dollar Harbor Freight sander, primer, sandpaper and... Polycrylic? What gives? Well, it's a great sealer for the pink insulation foam. Otherwise, paint and bondo eat it and it collapses. Hence the holes I fought with the hood scoop earlier.

There's a coat of it drying on that parti-colored hood scoop. It doesn't look it, but it's almost done. Another run of primer and a bit of sanding on spot putty and I should be ready for paint. More on that in a bit.

That's the back bezel of the case. It's in its last primer coat, and I resculpted a fair few of the lines with the sander and a rasp. Too many straight edges, KITT had some but not that many. Looks better to me this way.

Everything in primer, waiting for sanding with 150 to remove orange peel from the primer before proceeding. The lower panels are MUCH straighter than before, but they're not 100% finished yet. Another run of putty and primer, and they'll be there.

First paint applied, and I'm gonna choke someone. I wanted the deep, deep black that KITT was, instead I got black metallic. This will have to be sanded off and redone.

The hood scoop is finally hole-free and almost 100% level. Gonna have to find a can of REAL black to test that with though. Once I'm content with the primer coat.

I'm looking around at what my options are. Right now, I'm honestly thinking of brushing on a self-leveling paint and then wetsanding that out like a regular finish. It would have the added bonus effect of not choking me with fumes since my lung function continues to fall (my chest deformity is now visible with the naked eye, fun.) I'm looking at paints, we'll see what happens. I do know I'm not gonna get all this way and then paint with the wrong color. Saw an old show car that was brush painted, it was indistinguishable from a sprayed finish. Foam brush for no brush strokes and I might be on to something.

Wave goodbye to the 6950, it's going across the room to my wife's PC. She's sold her pair of 5770s, and I need to go back to the green team for the ESA integration. Whatever I get has to be able to max out GW2 on a 1900x1200 screen, and possibly higher if I replace this monitor. I may also be replacing my board and processor with a Z77 Sabertooth and some undecided 1155 processor, possibly a 3570K. I've even got a pair of hexacore processors sat here on my desk, but it's a radical change to move to that. Not that I don't know how to make duallies work, and they're Phenom II class processors. Basically a pair of downclocked Thubans.

When the outside is done, then I'll turn my attention to the inside and start stealthing components, as well as adding KITT's power source and working on the permanent cooling system. Lots to do, but I'm about to be over a major hurdle.

KiTT316
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KiTT316 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am

MORE!?!?

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by msKEN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:39 pm

KiTT316 wrote:MORE!?!?