Kitt's deactivation

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt's deactivation

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Something I was discussing with a friend about the 2 different ways kitt was deactivated.In Good Knight's Work,Michael asks kitt to shut himself down.Now we know that kitt is the cpu that runs the knight 2000 body.So in this automatic shut down sequence kitt shuts his own cpu down and sends the command to turn off the knight 2000 body which apprently includes the deflation of his tires.In Knight in the Fast Lane,Michael deactivates a season 3 kitt which has been highly modified after knight of the drones,so when he hits the power button to deactivate both kitt and the knight 2000 body,the tires don't deflate which is how i'm guessing the bad guy was able to drive his newly won car to his garage.Why would the tires not deflate in this episode?Was it because this is the difference between the manual shut down by the pilot and the automated shutdown?

theknightling
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Kitt's deactivation

Post by theknightling » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 am

I don't think there was a specific reason except for the fact of two different writers. There are many things that happen throughout the series that what happens in one episode is canceled out or just doesn't line up with another episode.

That was my take on it, but I could be wrong.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:44 am

In the "Fast Lane" Michael left KITT's homing device still on so perhaps that was enough to not to deflate the tires?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 am

I don't think KITT's CPU ever shuts down. As it even stays active when that computer genius hacker physically removes the CPU box in another episode.

The show has many examples of how subtle facts will change, over time. Think one of my favorites is the ever migrating Turbo Boost button. At times, it feels like Michael could just punch the whole board, blindly, and still jump with perfect timing.

As for the facts changing with the writing...I've been running into that very same thing with my never ending novel. Now that it's over a thousand pages and I re-read things, I find that facts change between chapters. Like how an entire society went from having a king to a queen...beta readings will be a must, at some point.

And, as far as I know, KR didn't have their own Bible of assembled details on how everything went. Unlike Star Trek:TNG and the shows that followed, which actually wrote books on how things should work, things that races did, "techno babble", ship blueprints and such. There was probably some sort of generalized notes binder that writers could acquire. But, I highly doubt that things were technically as refined as they should have been. This, taken from a show that let it's whole camera crew, be reflected by the shiny paint job on the driver's side door as the car went by...in a scene that added nothing, what-so-ever.

manlai
Rookie

Post by manlai » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 am

There's no canon explanation. Behind the scenes explanations are equally speculative. It's certainly reasonable that the writing team didn't consult with each other much from episode to episode on technical details. They've certainly shown they can play fast and loose with KITT powers/functions (e.g. turbo/rocket boost buttons).

That being said, a possible in-universe explanation is that they were simply making a grander show of it in "Good Knight's Work." It was far more dire for KITT to seem "more deactivated" so the tires also deflated. Whereas in Fast Lane, the point was just not to let the talking dash and lights to give KITT's identity away. In terms of degrees of deactivation, I don't think there was a difference. KITT doesn't observe, record, or react to his envirnment in any way in any of those times and he doesn't come back online until Michael reactivates him. He's basically in sleep mode in both cases. A second possible explanation is that KITT was making a point to make himself undrivable in Good Knight. In sum, KITT was equally deactivated in both cases, but he also made sure he was undrivable in Good Knight (assuming you can't fill KITT's tires the same way you can't pop his hood).

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Perhaps Michael only put K.I.T.T. in a "standby" mode and/or just never deactivated the Knight 2000 body. As we've seen in "Soul Survivor," the Knight 2000 can still be driven as a vehicle without K.I.T.T.'s A.I. integrated.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 pm

I think only kitt can shut down the entire body with his automated deactivation sequence as per good knights work but in fast lane Michael hit the power button (manual shutdown) on the knight 2000 which controls the kitt voice synthecizer and body only.When he pressed the comn link,that reactivated the body and the cpu was always on?