Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Husami
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

Post by Husami » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Really? In "real" life, K.I.T.T. got 15"-rims???
That is not much...

DanielB
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DanielB » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Husami wrote:Really? In "real" life, K.I.T.T. got 15"-rims???
That is not much...
Yeah - it was the early 80s. Even cars from the 90s didn't have low-profile tyres and big rims like they do today.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Heh, the most common tyre size in my country was 155/80 x 13" in ordinary small to mid size cars from late 70's to 1990's :D
15" back then was condsidered big size wheels.
I still like smaller wheels, don't like big tractor wheels in ordinary cars. Also I like those 80's smooth aerodynamic rims & hubcaps, like '82 Trans-Am, Audi 100 or '83 Mazda 626 GLX (the Compact Disc style hubcaps) for example. Nowdays everything is spoke style rims which gets boring.

Husami
Stranger

Post by Husami » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Given that, are the Elite's wheels REALLY too small?
Damn it, i sold my ERTL directly after having herad about the upcoming Hot Wheels' KITT - and it looked so good in my shelf... I never minded the missing accuracy in details. Now i fear that the new one always lets me think about this kind of discussions here...

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Nobody knows for sure until we have one in hand, but the fact is the rims on the Ertl model are oversize. Most cars in the 80s didn't come with rims that big. They should be small on this model because they were small on KITT - http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com ... rge_13.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regardless of the wheels though, this model is so much better than the ERTL car in many other areas - pop-up lights, better T-tops, doors with proper hinges, better interior with carpets and soft seats, flat tail light lens, better licence plate, much much better scanner, better overall shape etc. The paint finish should be much nicer too. There's lots of improvements compared to the model you sold.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:30 pm

DanielB wrote:
Regardless of the wheels though, this model is so much better than the ERTL car in many other areas - pop-up lights, better T-tops, doors with proper hinges, better interior with carpets and soft seats, flat tail light lens, better licence plate, much much better scanner, better overall shape etc. The paint finish should be much nicer too. There's lots of improvements compared to the model you sold.
Well said! There shouldn't be any regrets selling the Ertl model. The Hot Wheels one is just better, period.

malethor
Volunteer

Post by malethor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

[http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com ... rge_13.jpg

Compare this photo with a hot wheels photo and you can see the diferent, not only the tires are bad. (It would be easy to fix buying another 1:18 tires) The rims are very good but they are small. (Nobody in Hot Wheels saw it before making for production?)

I agree with you that it is an impresive model, with incredible details, That is what I am very angry with them, it could be near that perfect with another wheels (with same effort).

For me the most important thing in a scale model is that when you see the general aperiance of it you dont see so much diferent with the real. When I see the Hot Wheels model I can only see that awful wheels that tell to me that it is only another toy... an expensive toy.
Last edited by malethor on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:56 pm

1:43 KITT is available in the UK now - if you place an order with ModelZone before midnight today, you can get free delivery and 15% off with the promo code "pancake".

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/hotwheels-1- ... t-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 pm

I saw the 1:43 in Modelzone yesterday but did not buy it as I'm holding out for the 1:18. Interestingly, the staff there told me that the Elite will now be out in APRIL instead of this month. No idea why.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 am

I picked up the 1:43 scale model today as my toy shop hasn't got the 1:18 yet

I'm personally very pleased with it, I see the HotWheels people have changed from just sitting the model in a styrofoam box to a clear plastic display box.

They have corrected the issues with the scanner not visible on the 1:64 basic model

It's great, can't wait to get my hands on the big 1:18 scale model.

Please excuse my crappy camera and photos
Attachments
P1010044.JPG
P1010044.JPG (160.26 KiB) Viewed 17149 times
P1010046.JPG
P1010046.JPG (122.71 KiB) Viewed 17149 times
P1010055.JPG
P1010055.JPG (147.31 KiB) Viewed 17149 times

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:03 am

Why do I have the feeling people are already trying to figure out ways to replace those wheels with something more accurate.Aside from that and the left side of the dashboard shape not being accurate it looks great.I love how the t-tops aren't coming off but held in tight unlike the ertl kitt.I have to lay a peice of scotch tape down to make sure they don't come off.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 am

I doubt it's due in April. They've already been on eBay HK for a few weeks and the shipment left in January. Most retailers that give a date are expecting them next week, including GPL, who don't give any arrival dates out until they have been confirmed by the supplier.

The 1:43 is available from German retailers for £43. Even with shipping from the continent, that's cheaper than the UK RRP.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 am

DanielB wrote:I doubt it's due in April. They've already been on eBay HK for a few weeks and the shipment left in January. Most retailers that give a date are expecting them next week, including GPL, who don't give any arrival dates out until they have been confirmed by the supplier.

The 1:43 is available from German retailers for £43. Even with shipping from the continent, that's cheaper than the UK RRP.
I hope you're right. The woman said April and then she asked her assistant what the date said on the sign and she said that it reads February. They are giving me a ring when they get it in stock. I have a plan, I'll buy the standard Elite to keep me happy until they release the Super and then sell it to get that.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

April??? I wonder why its already available and shipping from Hong Kong at ebay? Hmmm....

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I know this isn't the right thread for it, but didn't want to end up with a heap of hotwheels threads floating around confusing everyone:
T-hunted compare the different versions of the Hot Wheels KITT:

http://t-hunted.blogspot.com.au/2013/02 ... a-hot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can use a website translater to read what is happening or just look at the pictures

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 pm

MrSmith wrote:I know this isn't the right thread for it, but didn't want to end up with a heap of hotwheels threads floating around confusing everyone:
T-hunted compare the different versions of the Hot Wheels KITT:

http://t-hunted.blogspot.com.au/2013/02 ... a-hot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can use a website translater to read what is happening or just look at the pictures
And they used my photos as credited at the bottom of that page :-)

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 pm

My 1:18 Elite arrived today, I love it. Only thing I'm not thrilled with is the ejector seat......a little too sensitive for my liking. A very well done model.

Hopefully my 1:43 arrives soon:)

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 pm

KittCARR wrote:My 1:18 Elite arrived today, I love it. Only thing I'm not thrilled with is the ejector seat......a little too sensitive for my liking. A very well done model.

Hopefully my 1:43 arrives soon:)

Joey.

Joey- glad to hear that you like it. Did you notice with the scanner function that if you push the button a second time (after turning it on) the "shut down" sequence is different (than just letting it run the full amount)

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Hmm, no I didn't notice that feature at all. l'll check it out soon, thanks for the tip.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tbird100636
Recruit

Post by Tbird100636 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 am

I doubt it will be April, there's a ton of them available on eBay now from various sellers, mostly in California. One seller said Feb. 20 in their item description (not the shipping estimate), one said available now. So if someone said April, maybe they've sold their current allotment out thru pre-order, and won't get their next shipment until April.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Video of the Super Elite KITT in action - you guys will enjoy this! It's a 1080p HD video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvk9cYXpgA

:good:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

DanielB wrote:Video of the Super Elite KITT in action - you guys will enjoy this! It's a 1080p HD video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvk9cYXpgA

:good:
Holy s...!!!!!!!

That's a thing of beauty!

Yep, already made up my mind that I'll be getting that whether I get the standard or not.

Not overly bothered about the ignited head lights. And the scanner light is actually dull looking when compared to them (might just be the overall lighting). It's the dash that does it. And of course, the theme that plays!

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 pm

.......it begs the obvious question, why can't HW just sell this now?

Why do we have to wait till 2014?

Stick it in a box, it looks complete, ready to go

Is it a marketing ploy to get everyone to buy the standard model first, then buy the Super Elite model, or is there actually work needed to finish the model?

I like the display setup, with the cutaway insides of the mobile command tractor trailer.

good work though HW people.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

They probably want to refine the electronics etc etc before release which is why its slated for 2014..

And is that just a cutout of the semi or do they plan on releasing a 1/18 semi alongside that Super Elite KITT??? Geekgasm if they do that!!!!

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm

I imagine there will be a display base, cutout in the box like this with the trailer backdrop, in the final product

The Super Elite Batmobile has a nice silver batlogo backdrop/display piece to the box

After watching this video for like 10 times, my only complaint is the blue headlights,

I guess even if they use white leads, which will look snow white, it woun't look 100% like halogen headlights.