Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightSlider
Volunteer

Re: Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

Post by KnightSlider » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:44 am

I must say i agree at 100% with mvgs2011.
First thing, it feels like a lot of peopole are acting like Hot wheels is making them a favor by producing a kitt..
sorry but like everything elese, the only point is to make money with it.
and they charging a big price for it...

And secondly, why so many are just ready to buy anything just because it's writing Knight Rider on the box?
why would they bother to make accurate models, if everyone is ready to buy anything, just as long it's a blak car, with a red light in the front?

i understand, we all are impatient to at least , after 30 years, finally have a good model of kitt..
but it still isn't it.
what i can't stand, it's that there is no excuse for screwing it again.
Kitt is just a standard 82 trans am with a custom nose..
the body of a 30 years old car is not (or should'nt be) a problem0
so, the one thing, that needed a litle more work,was the nose!!
it shouldn't be so much complex to get it right.
Hot wheels have made much more complex designs, and came up with very good, and accurates model..
take the 1/18 1989 Batmobile...it may not be perfect but it's quite close.. (too bad they screw the front wheels of the Tumbler)..

This new 1/18 kitt is the best attempt in 30 years, and it is so close to be, not perfect because there is no such thing, but close enough, like a collector model should be..
they just would have have to correct the nose and the wheels, and that would be it.
I doubt they will change anything, and that's a shame.
So many models of so many cars, ships, figures etc... have been perfectly made over the years, so why screwing Knight Rider again?

That's all i had to say.;
Maybe i'm wrong, and the final product will be much better than what we have seen..
All i can do now, is waiting for the pics, and then i'll see..

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by imranbecks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 am

Mark my words, I'm very sure the wheels will change as the photos are of a prototype and pending approval. I doubt Hot Wheels would be blind enough to release the model with wheels looking like that. As for the nose, some of us can live with that and that would probably be the part of the car that isn't 100% perfect on an otherwise great looking model.

mvgs2011
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by mvgs2011 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 am

Thank You KnightSlider!!!!

You understood what I said. The people are accepting things too easy. And when you complain, They are against You with the most absurd explanation. They talk about law, that You are an amateur, the industrial production is different and bla bla blaing. Everything to mask the reality: They aren`t not able to make a 82 Pontiac Firebird with Knight Rider nose.

I don`t have nothing against nobody here. But I can`t accept those explanations.

Thank You again KnightSlider!!

Marcos

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 am

imranbecks wrote:Yeah, I can't wait to see how the rotating license plate wld be done.
Will it have a rotating plate? Also, what episode did KITT have a rotating plate?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:41 am

Like I said before, whatever. If you guys are not happy about it, then don't get it. So stop criticizing. We all get that its not 100% accurate. Nose, wheels etc. But at the end of it all, if you are not getting it, more power to us then coz I'm pretty sure there are many others here including myself who will be happy enough to get our hands on it once its out and add it to our collection, much like we all did when ERTL released their 1/18 KITT.
PBH wrote:
imranbecks wrote:Yeah, I can't wait to see how the rotating license plate wld be done.
Will it have a rotating plate? Also, what episode did KITT have a rotating plate?
Yes it will. It was in the episode Brother's Keeper. In one scene, KITT changed the license plate from KNIGHT to KNI 667 as they were evading the police. I'm pretty sure the one on the model will be KNI 667 as well..

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 am

Wicked!!!
Phil

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:54 am

Yeah... It seems this model will have more gimmicks than the ERTL one. If you remember, the ERTL KITT had that disappointing grappling hook in front which was pretty much useless actually...haha..

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 pm

imranbecks wrote:Yeah... It seems this model will have more gimmicks than the ERTL one. If you remember, the ERTL KITT had that disappointing grappling hook in front which was pretty much useless actually...haha..
Don't forget the passenger eject seat :P
Phil

Tbird100636
Recruit

Post by Tbird100636 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:24 pm

PBH wrote:
imranbecks wrote:Yeah... It seems this model will have more gimmicks than the ERTL one. If you remember, the ERTL KITT had that disappointing grappling hook in front which was pretty much useless actually...haha..
Yeah, the ejector seat that always tilted forward and never sat even with the driver's seat, and always popped forward against the windshield.

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 pm

imranbecks wrote:Like I said before, whatever. If you guys are not happy about it, then don't get it. So stop criticizing. We all get that its not 100% accurate. Nose, wheels etc. But at the end of it all, if you are not getting it, more power to us then coz I'm pretty sure there are many others here including myself who will be happy enough to get our hands on it once its out and add it to our collection, much like we all did when ERTL released their 1/18 KITT.
PBH wrote:
Yes it will. It was in the episode Brother's Keeper. In one scene, KITT changed the license plate from KNIGHT to KNI 667 as they were evading the police. I'm pretty sure the one on the model will be KNI 667 as well..
Of course that I don`t get it. I`m surprise to see some people happy about it. :o In other hand, was good know about this, since I intend to built models to sell. Now I know that whatever I build, the people will buy. :lol:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Tbird100636 wrote:
PBH wrote:
Yeah, the ejector seat that always tilted forward and never sat even with the driver's seat, and always popped forward against the windshield.
Haha.. Yeah.. Totally forgot abt the ejector seat. Yeah, the ejector seat had its problems and was really flawed but it was a cool idea. Hope to see an improved ejector seat on the Hot Wheels KITT...

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm not fond of the scanner on the prototype. however, I am VERY impressed with the scanner on the SDCC 1:64 KITT display case. Hopefully, KITT's scanner on the 1:18 model will be a similar tecnology.
Phil

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Agreed. The scanner on that display base looks really impressive. I have high hopes on the 1/18 scanner. Judging from the video of the scanner we all saw on the unpainted prototype, it just needs to be slightly tweaked. Otherwise it looks great already. And if they decide not to change the scanner and leave it at that, I can live with that. At least it doesn't flicker like the ERTL one did.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 pm

imranbecks wrote:Agreed. The scanner on that display base looks really impressive. I have high hopes on the 1/18 scanner. Judging from the video of the scanner we all saw on the unpainted prototype, it just needs to be slightly tweaked. Otherwise it looks great already. And if they decide not to change the scanner and leave it at that, I can live with that. At least it doesn't flicker like the ERTL one did.
2nd that.
Phil

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:41 am

Wow, really loving the cloth interior on this, and there's so many other cool details too.

But man.... I really have to agree about that nose. It looks like they just copied the short, stubby nose from the old ERTL model kit (all it's missing is the "Knight 2000" on the front) instead of referring to the actual TV car.

Hopefully it's not part of the main body mold, so we'll be able to remove it and stick on our own custom one...

RomanticKnight
Recruit

Post by RomanticKnight » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:50 pm

It's just as well. God only knows why they can never get the nose right. Especially after seeing the real TV car over and over again. And this may have been asked many times before in other posts, but why did they change the nose of the car in Season 4? I didn't like that. KITT's nose was perfect being left the way it was from Seasons 1 to 3. on a somewhat off topic, IMO I only wish they kept the voice modulator that started in Hearts of Stone. I didn't like the voice modulator that started in the second half of Knight of the Drones.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:17 pm

They changed the look in season 4 because of the Super Pursuit Mode option. They needed a nose
with straighter lines for the seperating sequence between the top and bottom of the nose.

Michael Sheffes design had a lot of curves and sloaps in it to better accent the body lines of
the actual car!

That is why we got a shorter, stubby looking nose.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 pm

mvgs2011 wrote:
tuske427 wrote:My goodness, lots of complainers on here. It's sure easy to throw stones without knowing all the information... If you knew what it was like to communicate comments to other people to hand them off to third and fourth parties (who have never seen a third gen T/A let alone an episode of KR) to execute said comments, and do this all within an aggressive schedule (not at the convenience of your own home where you can do over and over until you're happy) and accept certain limitations due to cost, and had to accept certain sized trunk hinges and frames to pass pull tests, certain proportions adjusted to pass drop tests, etc. you might have a better understanding of why the final result might just be slightly off of what you define as "perfect". Regardless of the category- toy, adult collector, or whatever, it is required by law to pass certain tests for safety before it can be sold to consumers. These rules can, and do, affect the aesthetics. It's the world we live in and we do the best we can to work within the rules we must abide by.

Yes, there are adjustments I would still make if I could. We did our best with what we had to work with and I think it came out great. BTW the latest image posted is of a paint master sample. It's still getting slight color and detail tweaks, but that's pretty much what it is. The seatbelts are removed. I think this has a lot of cool features that no other KR replica has had before. The interior is flocked- giving it that realistic cloth feel. The seats have PMD logos on them. It has sculpting detail on the insides of the door, hatch, t-tops, etc. (I never see that on diecast vehicles) I think it raises the bar significantly. I'm proud of it. Thank you to those that did compliment it and thank you to all those that will be buying one.
IT´S A JOKE. ONLY THIS, A JOKE! :lol:
No, Marco, you are quite mistaken. This is no joke, and I really question the validity of your opinions on this diecast, especially when you base your entire argument off of one skewed photo you define as "correct" for KITT. Is your "reference pic" even from a season one episode? How about you get some screen shots of the show itself from season one and then make a comparison. I'll provide one to start:

This is a screen shot from the pilot episode- right before the two thugs steal KITT for a joyride. Yes, I know, my image is slightly tweaked as it's from a camera (the DVD is copyright protected) However, anyone can easily see the front doesn't stick out so far. Furthermore- look at the tires. Notice the tall sidewalls. This is how they did it back then. You (and other folks too) are making poor comparisons because you are not comparing apples to apples and are looking at replicas built 30 years later that use current trend lower sidewall profiled tires. At the least use the correct reference before you start bashing.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:50 am

Great screenshot by the way.. I knew that was from the pilot episode right before the thugs took KITT for a joyride..

Anyway, who cares. Like I said before, whether its 100% screen accurate or not, I'm just grateful we are getting a new model of KITT... So excited for it..

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:02 am

tuske427 wrote:
mvgs2011 wrote:
tuske427 wrote:My goodness, lots of complainers on here. It's sure easy to throw stones without knowing all the information... If you knew what it was like to communicate comments to other people to hand them off to third and fourth parties (who have never seen a third gen T/A let alone an episode of KR) to execute said comments, and do this all within an aggressive schedule (not at the convenience of your own home where you can do over and over until you're happy) and accept certain limitations due to cost, and had to accept certain sized trunk hinges and frames to pass pull tests, certain proportions adjusted to pass drop tests, etc. you might have a better understanding of why the final result might just be slightly off of what you define as "perfect". Regardless of the category- toy, adult collector, or whatever, it is required by law to pass certain tests for safety before it can be sold to consumers. These rules can, and do, affect the aesthetics. It's the world we live in and we do the best we can to work within the rules we must abide by.

Yes, there are adjustments I would still make if I could. We did our best with what we had to work with and I think it came out great. BTW the latest image posted is of a paint master sample. It's still getting slight color and detail tweaks, but that's pretty much what it is. The seatbelts are removed. I think this has a lot of cool features that no other KR replica has had before. The interior is flocked- giving it that realistic cloth feel. The seats have PMD logos on them. It has sculpting detail on the insides of the door, hatch, t-tops, etc. (I never see that on diecast vehicles) I think it raises the bar significantly. I'm proud of it. Thank you to those that did compliment it and thank you to all those that will be buying one.
IT´S A JOKE. ONLY THIS, A JOKE! :lol:
No, Marco, you are quite mistaken. This is no joke, and I really question the validity of your opinions on this diecast, especially when you base your entire argument off of one skewed photo you define as "correct" for KITT. Is your "reference pic" even from a season one episode? How about you get some screen shots of the show itself from season one and then make a comparison. I'll provide one to start:

This is a screen shot from the pilot episode- right before the two thugs steal KITT for a joyride. Yes, I know, my image is slightly tweaked as it's from a camera (the DVD is copyright protected) However, anyone can easily see the front doesn't stick out so far. Furthermore- look at the tires. Notice the tall sidewalls. This is how they did it back then. You (and other folks too) are making poor comparisons because you are not comparing apples to apples and are looking at replicas built 30 years later that use current trend lower sidewall profiled tires. At the least use the correct reference before you start bashing.
Tuske,

I did´t understand what you want to say with that, since the nose and tires with hubcaps are too different of Hotwheels car. I can see that clearly. The problem is: what is good for You Isn`t good for me.
So I don´t want continue with discussion, because how I can see You aren´t able to observe the lines of one car or model. My friend, sorry for to say, but You not born for this. If You think that the prototype of Hotwheels is like the car of screen, I´m sorry but you can play soccer, you can fix computers, you can ride a bike, less try to make a car model, please!

In other hand, if You like of hotwheels model, BUY IT! I think that We must press this makers to make perfect models like Autoart models and Minichamps models, but You think no, GOOD!!! BUY IT.

Marcos

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 am

Cool it everyone. The photos of the model so far is of a prototype. So why get so worked up over them? To some of us, it looks good already. Some improvements needed such as the wheels of coz which I'm sure will look nothing like that on the prototype. Judging by the standard of the cars in the Hot Wheels Elite line, I doubt the wheels would look like the one on the prototype for the final model. So to those who aren't happy about the Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT, please kindly leave this thread alone and refrain yourself from posting anything else. There are some here who are pleased with what we have seen so far. Seeing as it is a prototype, Improvements are bound to happen on the final model. Whichever way it'll look once its released, I will still go buy it. I'm sure I won't be alone doing that.

On a side note, even if there ever will be a near accurate or 100% accurate model of KITT in the future, its people like the ones here that are criticizing it that will still mention all the minor inaccuracies. Its a toy. Its a model. Its a mass produced item. Whatever you want to call it. Its not the real car. Live with it. Its not like the custom model that you built etc etc which you all think is perfect. So enough with all of this. Where were you guys back in 2004 for the ERTL 1/18 KITT thread? I don't remember having this sort of argument in that thread.

I can't wait to get the model, then I'll post photos of it once I have it just like I did when I got my model of the 1/18 KITT and KARR back in 2004. So haters, we don't need you here.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:39 am

imranbecks wrote:Cool it everyone. The photos of the model so far is of a prototype. So why get so worked up over them? To some of us, it looks good already. Some improvements needed such as the wheels of coz which I'm sure will look nothing like that on the prototype. Judging by the standard of the cars in the Hot Wheels Elite line, I doubt the wheels would look like the one on the prototype for the final model. So to those who aren't happy about the Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT, please kindly leave this thread alone and refrain yourself from posting anything else. There are some here who are pleased with what we have seen so far. Seeing as it is a prototype, Improvements are bound to happen on the final model. Whichever way it'll look once its released, I will still go buy it. I'm sure I won't be alone doing that.

On a side note, even if there ever will be a near accurate or 100% accurate model of KITT in the future, its people like the ones here that are criticizing it that will still mention all the minor inaccuracies. Its a toy. Its a model. Its a mass produced item. Whatever you want to call it. Its not the real car. Live with it. Its not like the custom model that you built etc etc which you all think is perfect. So enough with all of this. Where were you guys back in 2004 for the ERTL 1/18 KITT thread? I don't remember having this sort of argument in that thread.

I can't wait to get the model, then I'll post photos of it once I have it just like I did when I got my model of the 1/18 KITT and KARR back in 2004. So haters, we don't need you here.
Well said.
Phil

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 pm

imranbecks wrote:Cool it everyone. The photos of the model so far is of a prototype. So why get so worked up over them? To some of us, it looks good already. Some improvements needed such as the wheels of coz which I'm sure will look nothing like that on the prototype. Judging by the standard of the cars in the Hot Wheels Elite line, I doubt the wheels would look like the one on the prototype for the final model. So to those who aren't happy about the Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT, please kindly leave this thread alone and refrain yourself from posting anything else. There are some here who are pleased with what we have seen so far. Seeing as it is a prototype, Improvements are bound to happen on the final model. Whichever way it'll look once its released, I will still go buy it. I'm sure I won't be alone doing that.

Guy, sincerely, It`s convenience. I`m sorry.

I don`t agree with You. Model cars can be like the real cars. Guys, think, How much time we waited for a 1/18 KITT?

Only in 2004 we have ERTL model. A disaster. A model all out of scale with a bizarre nose.

And now, will we accept that again? (I agree that Hotwheels model is a little better than ERTL, but not enough).

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 am

mvgs2011 wrote:

Guy, sincerely, It`s convenience. I`m sorry.

I don`t agree with You. Model cars can be like the real cars. Guys, think, How much time we waited for a 1/18 KITT?

Only in 2004 we have ERTL model. A disaster. A model all out of scale with a bizarre nose.

And now, will we accept that again? (I agree that Hotwheels model is a little better than ERTL, but not enough).
Some of us here are willing to accept it. Its not like we get Knight Rider models every year. Whenever any Knight Rider toy or model comes around, I take it as a bonus. And I'm really glad of the KR products we have this year. 30th Anniversary to thank for that. If you can't accept the Hot Wheels model for whatever the reason, then thats your problem. Feel free not to purchase it, no one is forcing you. I can show you all my Knight Rider models/toys that I have, I'm sure you will have fun nitpicking the models pointing out all the inaccuracies.

I still love that ERTL 1/18 KITT.. It looks good in its own right whether its screen accurate or not. Its still KITT, and its still Knight Rider. Plus, the reason why I bought the Japanese version with the Goodyear visible on the tyres is because it gives the model character...

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm very much looking forward to the 1/43 KITT as well.
I still like my ERTL KITT & KARR too, they were the first 1/18 models we got back in 2004 and before that I thought we'd never get any new Knight Rider merchandise again so I was really happy to buy ERTL KITT and KARR even if it isn't perfectly accurate and I'm happy to buy this new Hotwheels KITT too in 1/18 & 1/43.

I was even afraid in 1986 that I'd never see Knight Rider again and was really depressed when the show went off the air. Gladly I was mistaken and there was re-runs in the 90's & 2000's which I recorded on VHS tapes, we now have the DVD's, music cd's, this forum & others, modelcars, etc. :)