Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

Post by KITTfan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:25 am

Very nice details, I think I have said it before but well worth saying again that many details that had to be done afterwards to ERTL KITT & KARR are beautifully done already in these Hotwheels models.

Before I saw KARR's rear end I assumed they had painted the top of the bumper silver as the line raises that high towards the end of the car on the rear quarterpanels but seems they have done the top of the bumper correctly after all. Perhaps it wouldn't too much of a problem to correct the silver line in rear quarterpanels too. Really like KARR's foglights, they look just as mean as in the show :D Also it is great that the silver line goes correctly over the wheel wells and there's KARR licenseplate too.

I think it's safe to say these are among the very best KITT and KARR models ever made, only Aoshima modelkits come close but the end result in them depends how good model builder you are. Hotwheels are already ready made.

Only slight critisism I noticed is that KITT has Season 2 overhead console but the voicebox is solid red one like in the beginning of Season 1. Probably easy fix by printing a correct decal and pasting it on top of the original one.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 am

DanielB wrote:It's a collector's diecast model, rather than a toy. Nothing else in their range has a light-up dashboard, nor does this model. Take a look at any collector quality model from top brands like Minichamps, Hot Wheels Elite and AutoART - none of them have those sort of 'gimmicks'. They're static models.

There will be a more expensive version of KITT coming out later in the year with illuminations. but this version only has a scanner light, which is all it needs to have. Pop-up headlights and a revolving licence plate I could live without, personally, although it's nice to have them - the Elite A-Team van didn't even have a sliding door on the side.

If you think it's too expensive, then wait a while. They will be available from German diecast dealers for less than the RRP in the UK. I've seen brand new HW Elite Ecto1s sell for £60 on eBay too, which is £90 cheaper than the UK RRP!
Actually, f you look at other cars in the HW Elite range on youtube there were various LED bits on such vehicles as the Ghostbusters van (on the inside) and the Batmobile so I don't see why they cannot add something to the dash.

I read something about a KITT having a voice box feature. I take it that this isn't the model that has that feature? Which one will it be? Isn't that the one that has a planned price tag of over $300?

It's hard pressing me to shell out £145 just because it has a knight industries symbol added underneath among other only tiny little details. It's too much like the ERTL one for me but me being a KR fan, if I see it in Modelzone then don't be surprised if I come away with it. :lol:
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

Actually, f you look at other cars in the HW Elite range on youtube there were various LED bits on such vehicles as the Ghostbusters van (on the inside) and the Batmobile so I don't see why they cannot add something to the dash.
The ones on YouTube have been modified by their owners, like this: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 90&t=32342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read something about a KITT having a voice box feature. I take it that this isn't the model that has that feature? Which one will it be? Isn't that the one that has a planned price tag of over $300?
The one with the sound chip and lights will be the "Super Elite" - the UK RRP is £380. It's due for release in August, along with KARR (Elite, £180 RRP).
Last edited by DanielB on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:48 am

Here's yet another shot of KARR from the recent Toy Fair, from http://www.foxtoys.cz/image/Vystavy/nrb2013/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see the re-profiled nose here - it curves down more than KITT, and the ridged section of the nose infront of the scanner is flatter on KARR. It's far more pronounced on KITT.
Last edited by DanielB on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 am

Skav wrote:
No offense but you should check your facts first about the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 that they did. It did not have any light up LED feature. I should know, I have it and I'm very impressed by the details of it which is what I'm expecting on their KITT car, and from the looks of it, its just as I had expect it to be :good:

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 pm

KITTfan wrote:Very nice details, I think I have said it before but well worth saying again that many details that had to be done afterwards to ERTL KITT & KARR are beautifully done already in these Hotwheels models.

Before I saw KARR's rear end I assumed they had painted the top of the bumper silver as the line raises that high towards the end of the car on the rear quarterpanels but seems they have done the top of the bumper correctly after all. Perhaps it wouldn't too much of a problem to correct the silver line in rear quarterpanels too. Really like KARR's foglights, they look just as mean as in the show :D Also it is great that the silver line goes correctly over the wheel wells and there's KARR licenseplate too.

I think it's safe to say these are among the very best KITT and KARR models ever made, only Aoshima modelkits come close but the end result in them depends how good model builder you are. Hotwheels are already ready made.

Only slight critisism I noticed is that KITT has Season 2 overhead console but the voicebox is solid red one like in the beginning of Season 1. Probably easy fix by printing a correct decal and pasting it on top of the original one.
No worries, the silver line from the wheel to the rear bumper will be foxed for production. That detail was noticed before this toy fair, but there was not enough time to fix it. Sometimes scheduling overrules picky designers trying to get every last detail right.

MrSmith
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by MrSmith » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 am

hats off to you tuske427, for being here and talking with fans and collectors, getting real feedback and comments on the design and model

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 am

is there any Knight 3000 or 4000 models on the way?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

DanielB wrote:
The ones on YouTube have been modified by their owners, like this: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 90&t=32342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The one with the sound chip and lights will be the "Super Elite" - the UK RRP is £380. It's due for release in August, along with KARR (Elite, £180 RRP).
Ah fair enough, all I did was a quick browse on youtube for the Elite cars. And Imran, you could do with being a bit more polite. Thanks.

I might hold off and get the Super Elite then. One question though, will the Super Elite be exactly the same as the standard in terms of detail, presentation etc or will it look different in any way?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am

Skav wrote:I might hold off and get the Super Elite then. One question though, will the Super Elite be exactly the same as the standard in terms of detail, presentation etc or will it look different in any way?
I imagine it would look much the same. It will probably have the new tyres that they will be fitting to KARR, but I wouldn't expect it to have the changed nose shape as it's been modified for Season 3 KARR and their KITT is based on Season 1.

It may come in a presentation box like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Wheels-FE ... 41708d6873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a comparison of an Elite vs a Super Elite model: http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/to ... ntry733254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure though how much more detail they could add to KITT - it's not a racing car so it doesn't have carbon fibre detailing or bonnet ties, the wipers are hidden etc. That's probably why they're adding illuminations and sounds instead.
Last edited by DanielB on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 pm

DanielB wrote:
Skav wrote:I might hold off and get the Super Elite then. One question though, will the Super Elite be exactly the same as the standard in terms of detail, presentation etc or will it look different in any way?
I imagine it would look much the same. It will probably have the new tyres that they will be fitting to KARR, but I wouldn't expect it to have the changed nose shape as it's been modified for Season 3 KARR and their KITT is based on Season 1.

It may probably come in a presentation box like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Wheels-FE ... 41708d6873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a comparison of an Elite vs a Super Elite model: http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/to ... ntry733254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure though how much more details they could add to KITT - it's not a racing car so it doesn't have carbon fibre detailing or bonnet ties, the wipers are hidden etc. That's probably why they're adding illuminations and sounds instead.
Nice one. Cheers.

KnightSlider
Volunteer

Post by KnightSlider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:05 am

tuske427 wrote:
KITTfan wrote:Very nice details, I think I have said it before but well worth saying again that many details that had to be done afterwards to ERTL KITT & KARR are beautifully done already in these Hotwheels models.

No worries, the silver line from the wheel to the rear bumper will be foxed for production. That detail was noticed before this toy fair, but there was not enough time to fix it. Sometimes scheduling overrules picky designers trying to get every last detail right.
Hi,

So, there is no hope to see Kitt, with the Karr's new nose?
that's would be a shame, cause it looks so much better.. :(

and as you seem to work for Hot Wheels, i have a little question, non Knight rider's related.
I saw that a new tumbler 1/18 is coming up
(http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Is the size of the front wheels will be fixed?
because on the last one ,they were way too big, and that's was really ugly...i didn't bought it because of that:

on a collector toy, with that kind of price, it's very disapointing.
It's too bad, cause that's the only big flaw on this one,and can be easily fix..
So any chance to fix that on the new one?
or can you, at least pass the message?

Thank you.

KnightSlider
Volunteer

Post by KnightSlider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:08 am

oh, and still about the nose..
We have a kitt with a season 1 dashboard, the nose has a shape close to the season 4 one,
but with season 2/3 lens covers details, and season 1 grills!
that's quite a mix up.. :roll:

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 am

I don`t like. The first problem of all those cars is the fender: too thick, consequently the nose is too thick too.

Before the car was a prototype. Now it is a final product with the same problems like the prototype. :D

Poor Kinight Rider fans!!!

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:38 am

This is a 1/8 Camaro Monogram being converted in a firebird KR. Can You fell the difference about the thickness of fender and nose?
Attachments
DSC01771.JPG
DSC01771.JPG (97.69 KiB) Viewed 24987 times
DSC01772.JPG
DSC01772.JPG (93.01 KiB) Viewed 24987 times

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Checkout my thread, just got my Hotwheels Elite KITT!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:59 pm

The 1:18 KITT has been in production (since December) and is too late to make any changes to it, good, bad, or indifferent. I know it's not perfect to everyone on this board but I still stand behind it, and IMO it's still better than any other produced replica to date. Check one out up close and you'll see many details on it that others just don't have. I brought a PP sample to the KR 30th convention here in LA this past October, and everyone there seemed to really like it.

Knightslider- The front bumper does have the season one covers over the marker/ turn signal lights. The season 3 KARR had this area revised to have the season 2/3 detail molded in.

RE: Batman- I have no knowledge of that, sorry. The best way to get that one answered is to contact HWC Manson on the HW collector boards. He worked on the Batman, BTTF, and GB. you can post a question in the "ask Hot Wheels" here:

http://forums.hotwheelscollectors.com/e ... 1114073052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be sure to address it to him and ask about this.

I hope this helps

KnightSlider
Volunteer

Post by KnightSlider » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:06 am

Thank you.
Message send to HWC Manson.

For Kitt, i have no doubt, that it will be the best availbe to date, but it could have been so much better with a different nose.
I like Karr's nose better..
it would be great to make another Elite Kitt (but non super elite, price too high), with that nose.. ( and with the season 3 dash, as that nose is the season 2/3 one, and the right tyres)

For the actual Kitt nose, ok, for the season one covers over the marker/ turn signal lights, but that's too bad that the nose shape is more the 4th season one, and nothing like the fisrt season one.
which makes a strange mix up..
But like you said , too late for this one (and for the tyres too i imagine..)
But maybe on a next one...

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 am

Still can not see any difference between KARR nose and KITT nose on the pictures of the HOT WHEELS ELITE models!

Can anybody point out what really have been changed?

Thanks

malethor
Volunteer

Post by malethor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm

I cant understand how a brand like hot wheels can make a knight rider with that wheels. Is so dificult to make good proporcionate wheels? the problem is not the tires, is the rims,they are too small and the solution that hot wheels give us is a too big tire to take more diameter for the wheels. They broke the good job made in other areas ( scanner light, dash board, and the nose is not first season but at last it is not so bad) Thank you hot wheels for make me save my money!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:54 pm

malethor wrote:I cant understand how a brand like hot wheels can make a knight rider with that wheels. Is so dificult to make good proporcionate wheels? the problem is not the tires, is the rims,they are too small and the solution that hot wheels give us is a too big tire to take more diameter for the wheels. They broke the good job made in other areas ( scanner light, dash board, and the nose is not first season but at last it is not so bad) Thank you hot wheels for make me save my money!
KITTs rims were 15 inches in diamater. A 15 inch rim in 1:18th scale is 21.1mm in diameter.

Try it yourself: http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

malethor
Volunteer

Post by malethor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Can anybody tell us if the elite rims diameter is 21.1? If it is correct I will eat my words, but they look like out of scale. And please Daniel, dont talk about kitt in past, HE IS STILL ALIVE!!! :D

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm

The rims on the Ertl 1:18 model were 25mm, which would make them about 17.7 inches if they were scaled up.

I don't have one of these Elite models yet, but these rims certainly look smaller than Ertl. They might be too small, but I honestly think it's just the tyres that look odd - they're too square in profile and they need some writing on the sidewalls.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Agreed.. Better looking and better shaped tires would've made the model a whole lot better.. It is already impressive overall, but its only the tires and perhaps the somewhat small rims that is somewhat flawed. Maybe the tires is actually making the rim look small....hmmm...

malethor
Volunteer

Post by malethor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

If you see the unpainted prototype images, the tires look like so good, and good proporcionate with the rims, but the the entire wheel was too small. To make a wheel with more diameter they made a bigger tire but dont change the rims. With another tire we could have a beautiful wheel but it still would be too small. (I think)