Some thoughts - disappointments and hopes

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

The shadowy flight
Rookie

Some thoughts - disappointments and hopes

Post by The shadowy flight » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:11 pm

:( Well, like the title says,

I was having again a Knight Rider fix and thought about the movie, if it ever comes to the silver screen. Seeing and reading some old proposals of how KITT should be looking by some members here, I really question, if they do a sense of the right feeling of how KITT should look like. It's not a Mustang Shelby, not a Camaro, not a Lambo, BMW, Honda Civic, Aston Martin (too associated with Bond), Jaguar, Mecedes CL, Cadillac, or any other abomination that has no related design lineage with the original KITT of '82. SORRY, WHAT ARE YOU SOMKING?!

See, the recent years concept cars are designed good, but lacks the dynamic, the "driving at 250 kph" while standing still kind of design - look at the Pontiac Banshee. But I have to say, some elements of the cars are very well done which could be incorperated into the new KITT, which must share as much similarity as possible. Even today when I watch the desert intro of KR, it still gets me. I couldn't nail it, why? Why is this intro so captivating? As a 10 year old munchkin, every Tuesday evening at 19:15 on the german RTL TV and Fridays, I guess at 19:00 on the dutch channel, I was glued to the screen, watching this black incredible car with the red scanner coming at high speed from the desert.
I guess I now know the answer, it was the design of KITT, Michael Scheffe did a more than wonderful job on turning a stock TA into the car of tomorrow. The pointy front bumper nose, that replaced the flat ones is one of the most genius approach ever made as well as the dashboard and upper console, which featured the first LED readout in a car ever in the world (AFAIK, KITT was really the first one!), it made it look more smooth and speeding. The bowling ball hubcaps also made it look very futuristic compared to the then used ones (5 star,3 star, 6 star spokes and the net like ones), the taillight covering.
These designs have to be carried over to the new KITT, which has to share the lineage - it doesn't matter, if the car is american or not, as long as it has a modern edge to the Scheffe design. Like the 2008 Acura Advanced Sportscar NSX concept, where the front nose screams Knight Rider!
But where are the great concept car designers? I only see Ford recently, who are having a futuristic approach, that goes to the direction where KITT is, design wise. If KITT should ever see the silver screen, I would say, it'll be better to completely go the concept car route, with lot's of stunt cars and beauty cars as well as remote cars, built with fiberglass like they did with Transformers' Bumblebee. You can create the "real" car of tomorrow without having the trouble seeking a real car to turn into it, since it's a fictious car.

The front nose only lacking the red scanner and the black paintjob:

If only cars are still designed like this *sigh*:

The sleeking and dynamic look of Scheffe's design:

Ford 2005 Iosis steering wheel like a modern version of KITT's gullwing:

Elements on cars of other cars (NOT THE CAR ITSELF) I like, which would look good on the new KITT, like the foglights:

Front intake/foglights of the Hyundai Genesis - like the season 1 KITT:

foglights/protruding foglight bumper Honda part:

headlights of the Honda Civic 2011:

or the indirect taillights of the BMW:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Some thoughts - disappointments and hopes

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Sorry,I couldn't resist.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 am

I still think this would make the perfect kitt for the next movie.Although with thatnose being so low to the ground,I doubt it will ever be able to turbo boost and be believable through CGI.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 am

KITT is meant to have that "just another car" look. The one above doesn't have that look. It needs to look sporty but not over the top. None of the cars in this thread have nailed it, IMO. The Camaro is probably the best choice that I can think of.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:43 pm

problem what most people forget when they do "Kitt should be like this" it doesnt matter what it should be. The only thing matters is what Car company will throw big $$$ to have their car be KITT.

Chevy could push for the Vette or Camaro, Ford could push Mustang, Dodge could push Viper, Challenger, Charger. Someone like Smart Company show the bigger dollars over the "Big 3", KITT could be a Smart Car for the movie.

PLain and Simple people, money talks
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Let their money yadda, yadda, yadda all they want, and let Larson and Co. pick something RIGHT.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Makes you wonder if Larson's already picked the body and has it stored in his garage under a sheet.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm

With the way things are progressing right now, I doubt the film ever gets made so I think this is futile.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;