My Mildly Embarrassing Early 90's Cardboard Dash

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

My Mildly Embarrassing Early 90's Cardboard Dash

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:02 am

So, I ran across these pictures and thought you guys would get a chuckle out of them.

In the late 80's/early 90's, I was roughly 10ish, and I was big into creating KITT dashboards out of old cardboard clothing boxes. I must have built 2 dozen of them, but I only have pics of the last 2:

This is the second to last one, features included a sliding SPM panel under the monitor and switchable AUTO-NORM-PURSUIT lights:

And here's the final one I created (note the overhead console in the BG of the first pic):

From Auto...

To Pursuit!

I wish I still had any of the dashes I created, but unfortunately they were all tossed.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Re: My Mildly Embarrassing Early 90's Cardboard Dash

Post by KFCreator » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Joe, that reminds me of the 3D paper dashboards I also used to make when I was around that age. I probably made about 3 or 4 different versions of them up until about age 13, each time trying to improve on the accuracy of the last. My ultimate triumph was convincing my dad to help me build my own KITT "car" shell that fit over my bike so I could ride around pretending I was Michael Knight. It was complete with one of my dashboards and a working scanner light and had a laminated paper skin over a wooden frame with some aluminum rods to attach to the bike. The thing was a surefire deathtrap had I ever gotten into an accident with it but I sure had fun with it. I even used it to make two short Knight Rider fan films with 2 of my best friends that we now laugh over whenever we watch them. I'll try to dig up pictures to post in coming days but my parents have the bulk of them in Maryland. At the very least, I'll try to post some stills from the video we shot.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Very nice, much better and more accurate than my KITT dash drawings when I too was about 10 years old :D

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Brings back the memories of my hand drawn dashboard stuck on my kettler go-kart. :)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:46 pm

It reminds me of my home made poster.I used to go to the library every friday after high school and print out pics of knight rider i found on websites.I had doubles of photos and put them all together as a huge colage with a season 5 kitt modulators in the center.Used that as my home made bedroom poster.

I also remember my mountain bike when I was a teenager.I used to print out kitt's season 4 voice modulator which was a cartoon gif i found on knight writers online website for fan fics.I would print one out and tape it down onto the steering bar of the bike.

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:10 am

I have to learn to draw...

Because I liked to draw KITT dashboard, but I'll try.

Joe, I really like your drawing KITT dashboard. :wink:

Very good.

:dash:
Alex