What Happened to the "Mio, KNIGHT RIDER GPS??"

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kknightriderr
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What Happened to the "Mio, KNIGHT RIDER GPS??"

Post by kknightriderr » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:46 am

Hey Guys,

I know I may be late to the party on this one, but what happened to the MIO GPS, I'm guessing they are discontinued? :( Is there a new one coming out. Someone please fill me in on this one, Thanks ya'll. :?:

blackthorntk
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: What Happened to the "Mio, KNIGHT RIDER GPS??"

Post by blackthorntk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 pm

you can still get them on ebay. i got mine 2 months ago and works great :D.

Dpac
Volunteer

Post by Dpac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 am

what is Mio Knight rider GPS?

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 pm

The Mio branded "Knight Rider" GPS system was discontinued and essentially pulled from the market due to some conflicts over the Knight Rider trademarks. Apparently the sound files were used without permission.

Those who had already bought the units were surprised when they updated their unit only to have the entire KITT interface removed and replaced with standard GPS graphics and a monotone voice.
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

kknightriderr
Stranger

Post by kknightriderr » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:15 am

Avenger95 - Thanks for the update. That's very unfortunate in general. I've checked everywhere, even e-bay, cant find any.

Looks like now you need to purchase a Tom Tom or Garmin and you can by the voice as an add on. So stupid.

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 am

mine is from china and works great it's most likely a knock off unfortunately I can't tell if it is or not. when i put my gps into my computer it doesn't ask to install the mio software and or updates. heck it thinks the knight rider mio is a usb. Oh my KR mio does work great. just never update and set your auto updates and or auto exe boot up or cd dvd boot up to no so that Mio wont mess you up. Glad to also have image the whole mio just in case of something like that happen i can reinstall it to it's original settings.

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:10 pm

OK there's two versions of the Mio knight rider gps. One is the Chinese knock off and other is mio's here's the differences:this be the Chinese knock off i got this one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mio-NA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;​VMAN-MOOV-Knight-Rider-Car-GPS-NA​VIGATION-TTS-/260508858214?pt=GPS​_Devices&hash=item3ca789b766' as you can see the Chinese one says navman on the lower end and not MIO. Also the Chinese one is missing the word knight rider on the top. They both function the same but the Chinese one has the 2009 maps pre installed already.
the normal mio would be this one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mio-4-3-Knight- ... 23120bbd0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm not sure if the regular one comes with a install disk. But mine doesn't as I got the knock off version and it just recognizes as a USB storage drive when I plug it in. Image weird thing is this comes in the same box as the mio one as mine says mio all over and shows the other knight rider gps upon the box.
here's the mio official mio version.Image I hope this helps you guys figure out witch version you have. I'd say go for the Chinese knock off that says navman on top I had mine's for awhile and still working good and hard and has all the same features
as the mio version except it comes with the 2009 maps pre installed and doesn't require software to plug and play on your computer it just acts as it's a huge kitt usb drive. Heck there's some storage space in that device so basically you can use kitt as a huge usb storage device as well hehe. later I'll see how much space it has.

romeoknight
Volunteer

Post by romeoknight » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:02 pm

i dont now what happend but i found a place where u could get them for $90

scatpack
Operative

Post by scatpack » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:22 am

I have a Mio and it quit working. Glad I didn't install it for updates.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm

DO NOT get the Chinese knock off Navman unit!
They are NOT the same!
I have both. To say the are the same is VERY VERY misleading. :|
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 pm

The part about them being pulled due to licensing issues I don't think was the primary reason (please someone else verify), as this came after the units started disappearing, and Mio didn't pay the team Navtones - whom actually had the agreement with William Daniels.

http://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/2009 ... cense.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But prior to that, from what I remember the GPS chip used within the device itself came under a patent dispute, and they had to recall all the devices. Mitac, which is Mio's parent company was named in a lawsuit against SiRF (the gps chip manufacturer) by Broadcom:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-federal-c ... 21419.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way, Mio and it's parent company Mitac seems really shady.

scatpack
Operative

Post by scatpack » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:18 am

I got one and it is messed up.