1985 TV commercial with KITT

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ttony_at
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

1985 TV commercial with KITT

Post by ttony_at » Sat May 14, 2011 9:53 pm

I came across a batch of old Sony Beta video tapes at a thrift store recently. I played a few and, as they were
all recorded from TV,one of them has a TV commercial featuring KITT.

It's a 30 second commercial. It begins with the "1983 Universal Studios Inc." at the bottom of the screen.
It then shows a scene from an episode where the Trans-Am car approaches a moving train and then a
finger is shown pressing the Turbo Boost button and the car jumping through the train and coming out on
other side.

"Great escape Kitt!", a mans voice (that doesn't sound much like Micheal) says.

KITT responds, "Thank you. But my sensors indicate a slight problem with my windshield". It sounds just like KITT.

"Ahh...time for Standard Auto Glass", the man says.

KITT says, "Who else is number one in windsheild replacement? And not only are they friendly and fast, they'll even
send out a free mobile glass replacement unit...."

KITT continues telling us all the advantages of having windshield glass replaced or repaired by this business while
we are shown people replacing car windshields, the transportation vans used in the auto glass business and the
guarantee certificate.

After KITT finishes the commercial plug, a mans voice adds, "Can't top that!"

To which KITT responds, "Yes I can!" and then we see the car jumping over wall (a scene from an episode).

"Show off!" the mans says.

KITTs voice really does sound like it's him. It even shows the red display lights on the dashboard lighting up
matching his voice.

The tape was recorded from the CTV channel CFRN in Canada. And it appears it was recorded in 1985 because it
has commercials for that year and one for the 1985 Nissan 300 ZX.

It's neat what you can find in old videotapes. I wonder what other commercials KITT did?

Tony

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Re: 1985 TV commercial with KITT

Post by Joe Huth » Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 am

KITT has been in quite a few other commercials over the years, even as recent as last year. My favorite is one from 1985 where KITT promotes the Museum of Science.

Can you digitize your commercial and upload it to YouTube so we can see it? If you need help with that, let me know.

Thanks!
Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

ttony_at
Stranger

Post by ttony_at » Sun May 15, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't know how to digitize analog videos. I have put home movies videos onto recordable DVD and then play them on a laptop and even uploaded to the laptop (so it can play there). But YouTube says those type of videos are either too large or of the wrong format to be put on YouTube.

While it would be nice for fans to see this 30 second video, it may still be copyrighted.

ttony_at
Stranger

Post by ttony_at » Mon May 23, 2011 3:16 pm

I just came across another TV add for the same business.
This one is also 30 seconds but from 1984.

This time it shows a scene from an episode where the Trans-Am is riding on a causeway at night.
A man, imitating Micheal, is heard asking KITT, "Well all set for a hot night on the town KITT?"

KITT answers, "Yes, now that I've had that rather nasty tear in my seat repaired."

KITT then describes the number of other things this same car repair business does and the guarantees it has.

This TV add ends showing another scene from an episode showing the Trans-Am riding in a tunnel. After KITT finishes the commercial plug, the man then says, "Hey! what more could you ask for?"
"Well you could fix me up with a nice little European model!" answers KITT.

Londonbill
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Londonbill » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 am

I would love to get a copy of that TV commercial since I was actually in it. The agency that filmed it as well as Standard Auto Glass are both out of business. My daughters who are now the same age I was at the time, have never been able to see it. It was filmed in Milton, Ontario and just had the footage of KITT edited in. If anyone has a copy that I could get hold of, I would be ever grateful.

Bill S (Londonbill)

Londonbill
Stranger

Post by Londonbill » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 am

I would love to get a copy of that commercial as I was actually in it. Can anyone assist with this?

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 pm

This is all I found. I also remember seeing this commerical, and I have no idea who the person talking in the background is, but definetly not Michael :P

Londonbill
Stranger

Post by Londonbill » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:12 pm

That is awesome. Thanks for that. The unfortunate thing is that they made 2 different commercials and I was actually in the other one about the seat repair. I have never been able to find it. If anyone stumbles across it on any of their old recorded tapes I would still love to have it.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I can't seem to find a seat repair commerical with KITT in it. Sorry man.

Londonbill
Stranger

Post by Londonbill » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:50 pm

I appreciate the effort. Thanks man.