information on replicas id like to know

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightprowl
Operative

information on replicas id like to know

Post by knightprowl » Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 am

hi, im knightprowl, and i was wondering how much it would take to keep up a kitt replica, not just parts but insurance, as im only 21 and it would be teenage insurance, and i know its alot for this but having a car as old and classic as kitt, how much on average would it be? i know it would be alot, but im just curious as to how much per month say, for gas, insurance, parts if something messed up, and ect, see idk nothing about vehicles or how to fix them or even about owning them, and yes i kno that not good, but i just figured id ask, i know it would be in the thousands per month probably, more if theres problems, im always saying that i want kitt for my first car, and tbh idk if thats the best option, just wanted so plps opinions on this matter that have kitt replicas and know the pricing to keep something like this up, as for money i dont make alot at all, just socal secuirty, i draw around $485 a month, should be getting almost $900 but the damn ssi places screwed me and im suppost to get alot of back pay, idk how much by mom says all these years they screwed me out of money itll be probably around or over $20000, but idk untill this happens, but thats not the point, i just wanted to know if this is a good thing, should i get something like this? for my first car i mean, and for my age, my moms always saying get something new and up to date thats good in the snow and other bad weater conditions, and with gas prices today and parts prices idk if thats a good idea to get something like this, anyways i know it probably shouldnt, but i just wanted to know just how much it rly is to keep a car like this up and how much the gas is, like highway and street, and also another question, what kinda engine did kitt has, i know it was like a turbo engine but i mean realistly the engine they used for kitt, also the tranny and ect, just would like to know what it is so that if and when i get a kitt someday that im getting the correct things, anyways another question, is adat(automotive designs and technology) any good, i mean are they one of the best as far as accuracy cause they look great to me, also what about kitts features, the guy named kn1ight or w/e did his kitt with oil slick and smoke screen and i think micro jam, idk what else, but if your on here i think ya are, id love to know just how you did what ya did, and the soundboards, how did ya do that, and is it possable to have kitt talf for real? i mean not just sound clips but like say your real name and real responces and ect, and the other features kitt has, what all is rly possable, same for the voice, anyways just let me know when ya can, cause i want to try and have one of the most accurate as far kitt goes, thats rly talks, says real damage reports, does all or most of the possable features and ect, anyways thanks for looking and i hope to get some good responces, anyways ill ttyl thanks and peace

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: information on replicas id like to know

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat May 14, 2011 12:17 pm

hey :good:

Okay look @ this from my Side with my Knight 3000 based on the Knight 4000 Style. I pay 3500 for my Dodge Stealth and 200 Dollars for the license, after that its like a couple Dollars a month for Insurence. Jay Ohrbergs Bodykit wil cost me arround 7000 Dollars without the Dashboard. After that is done I will give the car away and they make my bodywork @ a classic Bodyshop what cost arround 15 thousand Dollars. My Dashboard Custom Made stuff will cost arround 1000 Dollars plus minus the costs what is coming for the car to repair motor etc....

Hope I could help you

Josch
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 am

well i wasnent talking about the price to buy or build a kitt replica, i ment the price for everything else, gas, insurance, parts and ect, and do ya know what tranny and engine kitt has josch? i mean i wont be buying one for awhile, years and years, but i know prices change over time there never the same so rly its never the same, tbh this topic is pointless as prices always change, so rly i wasted 10 minutes of writeing, oh well, anyways thanks anyways, but id still like to know so plz let me kno someone, anyways ttyl thanks and peace

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 am

Knightprowl,listen to your mother advice,its sound advice.See I've been researching cars for about a year after I had my license in my spare time.I was thinking get a 2002 trans am and work on my ideas for a kitt conversion.The problems with that idea is a car 9 years old would break down on you especially since cars tend to have problems after 50,000 miles.A sports car will also drain the fuel tank faster since they mostly get around 18 miles per gallon if you don't modify it from factory designs.Cars today get aroun 24-25mpg or shockingly after i leased my 2011 Honda Accord a lot more.I was also considering a 2008 mustang which till this day,I still see near my office in black and want.The problem with that is that its an American car and while I am patriotic,I'd rather not have to sleep at a mechanic's shop day and night for repairs.Foreign countries tend to make their cars for the long haul to work for as long as possible with quality parts.They feel if they made their sale and it leaves their country that's ok.But American cars are of a lesser quality which were built to continue to help the economy and break down.While RC3 would probably smack me upside the head since he did say "I wouldn't buy you if you had a foreign label kitt." in knight of the rising sun I still prefer a car that won't break down on me as much.It's also cheaper to lease a car these days over buying used and paying for repairs.You can rely on it being new to have lesser problems for 2 and a half years and the fact that yours is the first butt to sit in that seat makes you feel good too.Its security and peace of mind.If you're going for a used car the best time to buy one is the end of the month when you can haggle with the car salesman since they have to meet their sales quota.If you're looking to lease a car best time is in December since they have the best/lowest leasing prices for the next year cars.My lease is $149 a month it would have cost me $250 in Brooklyn,NY in 2011.Also,you brought up gas.Gas is going up with the way the state of affairs is with foreign countries.In Europe it costs close to $10 a gallon of gas.Your mother brought up snow.Newer cars have more safety features than older sports cars.While I've given you a lot of advice,you should really do some of your own research by asking friends and family which is what I did.Good luck on your decision.Take your time with it.

Lurch Knight
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Lurch Knight » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48 am

You can buy an already-done K.I.T.T. replica for anywhere in the neighborhood of $20,000-$30,000. There are a couple for sale on eBay motors right now.

I have also been doing lots of research as to what it takes to build and own a K.I.T.T. replica. You can use any Firebird from '82-'92 for a Knight 2000 replica. If you want to save $$$ on gas, find a Firebird with a V-6 engine. Also, if you have your mom or dad co-sign on the title when you buy the car, that usually makes your insurance much cheaper (at least that's how mine works... helps that my cousin is my car insurance agent! LOL)

The easier/cheaper part of the conversion is making the exterior of the car look like K.I.T.T. - front clip/scanner, wheels/hubcaps, paint job (if necessary). If you find a 'Bird that already has the correct turbo hood, straight Aero spoiler, T-Tops, and the turbine wheels, it's going to be that much cheaper and easier. The more expensive/difficult part of the conversion is the dash/electronics and K.I.T.T. voicebox.

Just google "knight rider parts" and you will find a bunch of different companies that sell the parts. Also check out my "KITT 4 sale on eBay / KITT replica questions" post in the Creative & Merchandise area of the forum. I have asked many of the same questions you have and have gotten a lot of really good info.

Unless you're disgustingly rich though, this is going to be a major project. Definitely not something you can do overnight, or in a week, or a month, or maybe even a year. Might take multiple years! Good luck to you and I both sir!
:kittside:I reject your reality, and substitute my own!:kitt2:

Lurch Knight
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Lurch Knight » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:56 am

I'm not sure what the "official" engine/transmission were for K.I.T.T. though. Most base Firebirds from that era had either the 2.8L V-6 or 3.1L V-6. Trans Ams had either 305 (5.0L) or 350 V-8's. Many of the later 3rd-Gen Firebird Trans Ams/GTAs had the TPI 350 Corvette engine. Some had 5-speed manual transmissions but I believe most had the 700R4 4-speed automatic transmission.

If you want a more period-correct K.I.T.T. replica, go with an '82-'84 but any year from '82-'92 will work. I personally want to go with an '85-'92 because they have fuel injection which is more reliable and better on gas.

Hope this info helps!
:kittside:I reject your reality, and substitute my own!:kitt2:

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:25 pm

hi, thanks for the reply's, but this topic is useless as im not getting a kitt replica, im getting a general lee replica so please delete or lock this topic admins, thanks and peace