Earwig for your KI3T replica

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

2knight
Rookie

Earwig for your KI3T replica

Post by 2knight » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Here's a fairly simple way to have your own functional earwig for your KI3T replica. Admittedly it's not as compact as Mike's and won't have quite the range, but if you have a carputer installed in your replica, it's as easy as adding a Bluetooth dongle to your computer and using the Bluetooth ear piece / headset of your choice. Some newer computers may even have the Bluetooth hardware built in. If you don't have a computer in your car, you could always do this with your desktop or laptop.

Once you've got your hardware and software installed and added your headset as a Bluetooth device, you can go into your computer's sound settings and change the input and output to your Bluetooth headset. Personally I prefer to have the microphone input set to the headset and output set to the computer speakers so I'm not the only person hearing KITT. You can talk to and listen to KITT inside or outside your car - though the range is only about 15-20 feet.

As an added bonus you can connect and share files with other Bluetooth devices like your phone. Depending on your phone you can probably do handsfree calling and maybe even connect to the internet if your phone supports this. If you have a Bluetooth printer you can even set this up in your garage so you can print those top secret mission files. I believe you can also get a wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse - for those times when your touchscreen monitor just doesn't cut it.

Admittedly, I've only gotten as far as setting up the headset. I just added this to mine today and I have to say it's nice not to be tethered to a wired microphone anymore. Plus I feel a little more like Micheal when I'm talking to the car. I've still got to tweak the sound settings because the Bluetooth headset is alot more sensitive to background noise than my wired microphone. Also I think I'm going to need to retrain my voice recognition profiles since there's a difference in how I sound over the Bluetooth headset. The sound quality is much better, but there's a very slight echo effect that wasn't there when I originally trained these profiles. I'm sure higher end headsets probably block more background noise and probably have even better sound quality. The Plantronics headset I have now is a fairly inexpensive one. I got it awhile back and I think it was around $30-35. The IOGear Bluetooth dongle I bought for $20 at Walmart. I've seen this and other brands cheaper online, but didn't want to wait for delivery.

If anyone else tries this, I'd love to hear your results. I'm particularly interested in hearing about the sound quality using different headsets.

blackthorntk
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Earwig for your KI3T replica

Post by blackthorntk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 am

make sure you get the high end blue tooth receiver as they can go up to as much as 2 miles not 10 feet lol. also there's blue tooth watches you should look into that on ebay some nice ones to make it more fun like your are the knight rider Michel knight :P