FLAG Question

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

annericelover
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

FLAG Question

Post by annericelover » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

OK, I am a huge fan of pretty much the whole franchise(still need to watch 21 of the 22 TKR episodes), but while watching the whole series on DVD(recently purchased the Complete Series box set) I have noticed that many seem to know about FLAG, I mean people outside of the foundation. Now I know that Michael always introduces himself as a member to anyone asking, but I always thought it was a fake or undercover organization(which is why they operate from a Semi), but I have seen big time bad guys mentioning FLAG as they know or have heard about them. I'm mostly talking about the Classic series, by the time KR2000-KR2008 came around the whole thing had a base of operation and so on.

knightfever
Operative

Re: FLAG Question

Post by knightfever » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm

FLAG was actually based out of Wilton Knight's Mansion. The Semi was just a mobile base for when Michael and KITT were on a mission too far away for it to be practical to get to the Mansion in the event that they need Devon and Bonnie for a mission. I never considered FLAG a "secret" organization. I always had the impression that the Knight Foundation was involved in many aspects of serving America, with FLAG being the branch of the Knight Foundation that would get involved in cases of law enforcement where conventional means of law enforcement were unable to solve the problem. Devon would, on certain cases, tell Michael that if he were caught on in the process of investigating a case that the Foundation would have to "disavow" their own involvement, in effect, seperating themselves from Michael. So, I think the only thing that was ever really "secret," was just how far Michael was expected to go to solve a case. I never understood why KI3T in the new series was "classified," so much so that when the EPA lady came by to inspect "KITT," they had to use that stand-in Mustang. In the original series, I never once heard Michael tell anyone that rode in KITT that they had to keep their knowledge of KITT secret. In fact, he would often start off by telling KITT to go ahead and introduce himself.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I think in TKR by that time F.L.A.G. was working closely with a branch of the U.S. government since when Jenny was trying to research Michael Knight's classified files it was considered an act of treason.

annericelover
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by annericelover » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm

knightfever wrote:FLAG was actually based out of Wilton Knight's Mansion. The Semi was just a mobile base for when Michael and KITT were on a mission too far away for it to be practical to get to the Mansion in the event that they need Devon and Bonnie for a mission. I never considered FLAG a "secret" organization. I always had the impression that the Knight Foundation was involved in many aspects of serving America, with FLAG being the branch of the Knight Foundation that would get involved in cases of law enforcement where conventional means of law enforcement were unable to solve the problem. Devon would, on certain cases, tell Michael that if he were caught on in the process of investigating a case that the Foundation would have to "disavow" their own involvement, in effect, seperating themselves from Michael. So, I think the only thing that was ever really "secret," was just how far Michael was expected to go to solve a case. I never understood why KI3T in the new series was "classified," so much so that when the EPA lady came by to inspect "KITT," they had to use that stand-in Mustang. In the original series, I never once heard Michael tell anyone that rode in KITT that they had to keep their knowledge of KITT secret. In fact, he would often start off by telling KITT to go ahead and introduce himself.
Yeah, I remember in the 1st Season and some of the 2nd season, it was a WOW moment for many who entered KITT, but eventually the WOW seemed to go away and no one seemed very surprised about a talking car. I know in the 80's that talking cars existed, but just car alarm things that warned you to stay away, nothing that would respond to your questions and even insult you or threaten you(in some cases). I don't like the new look KITT gets in S4(as I'm watching with a new set of eyes since I saw it in the 80's), I like sleeker look much better.
In Team Knight Rider and KR2008 it seemed like they were much more open in some episodes and in others a secret, it was confusing.